Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #21,946 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

my intention of getting them only for just in case and well last night, i broke the stock 5u4g....so i swapped the sylvania and wow.  the dynanic, the vocal.  not sure how much longer i can wait to switch the rest of the tubes

No regret and forget about the broken stock rectifiers since you have something better which can really make the WA5 sings, although it seems a bit earlier as planned.
biggrin.gif

When I ordered my 6 Special Edition, it came with Miss Sophia... never looked at the stock rec. Only after the first six months did I get curious and roll it in. Five minutes 
eek.gif
 was five minutes too long. It had to go! So, I gently pulled the tube out of the Teflon socket and right then and there the glass separated from its base. 
blink.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #21,948 of 42,298
That was what i did too after recieving my WA6SE...i was busy shopping tubes in Hong Kong..somehow i havn't even tried the stock Rectifier...haha..from what SO experienced i dont want to spend my next 5mins on it...:D

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #21,949 of 42,298
Quote:
That was what i did too after recieving my WA6SE...i was busy shopping tubes in Hong Kong..somehow i havn't even tried the stock Rectifier...haha..from what SO experienced i dont want to spend my next 5mins on it...
biggrin.gif

I think stock tubes are great for establishing baseline signatures and learning what's possible. I would have giving the Sovtek 5U4G rectifier much more time inside the amp, save the fact I had a Sophia Princess waiting to address a lot of Jazz Combos. 

And 'Silent One' would never 
wink_face.gif
 want to keep a Princess waiting...

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #21,950 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I gently pulled the tube out of the Teflon socket and right then and there the glass separated from its base. 
blink.gif

confused_face.gif

I also remember having a discussion with a few members about tubes and the boxes they come in. Sometimes, even using the skill of a surgeon is not enough to prevent an old tab from ripping or tearing on the box.
ph34r.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #21,951 of 42,298
Quote:

I think stock tubes are great for establishing baseline signatures and learning what's possible. I would have giving the Sovtek 5U4G rectifier much more time inside the amp, save the fact I had a Sophia Princess waiting to address a lot of Jazz Combos. 

And 'Silent One' would never 
wink_face.gif
 want to keep a Princess waiting...

My stock tubes is the Chinese (Shuguang maybe) 274b one which cost 5$ here haha...For now my Full Music 274b is on the 100hour mark and it keeps getting better and better...somehow i feel there is more Bass or its because of my Stello U3's PSU?..

edit- My 400 Post yeahh!! soon 500...go go go

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #21,952 of 42,298
I also remember having a discussion with a few members about tubes and the boxes they come in. Sometimes, even using the skill of a surgeon is not enough to prevent an old tab from ripping or tearing on the box.
:ph34r:

+1 I try to be very careful opening some of the driver tube boxes but those pesky tabs still get slightly torn...

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #21,953 of 42,298
Quote:

When I ordered my 6 Special Edition, it came with Miss Sophia... never looked at the stock rec. Only after the first six months did I get curious and roll it in. Five minutes 
eek.gif
 was five minutes too long. It had to go! So, I gently pulled the tube out of the Teflon socket and right then and there the glass separated from its base. 
blink.gif

I will only grab the base of the old light bulbs when I need tube rolling, especially those pricey NOS tubes. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
That was what i did too after recieving my WA6SE...i was busy shopping tubes in Hong Kong..somehow i havn't even tried the stock Rectifier...haha..from what SO experienced i dont want to spend my next 5mins on it...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #21,954 of 42,298
Quote:

I will only grab the base of the old light bulbs when I need tube rolling, especially those pricey NOS tubes. 
biggrin.gif

Maybe there is some device that we can buy to remove the tubes from the Socket = More Money haha..
biggrin.gif

yup i do that too, i always pull the base while wiggling it left and right..and 1 thing i hate most is that finger prints on the old light bulb..

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #21,955 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

So, there'll be no doubt, I only remove and insert tubes by their base. And because the tube was not stuck inside the Teflon sockets suggests to me the separation was going to happen eventually, by any means of handling. 
blink.gif
 Improper storage combined with excessive heat over time probably rendered the glue useless.

Had this been one of my storied mid-forties TS-BGRP's, I would have immediately fell silent.

Jun 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #21,957 of 42,298
That was a great review, I loved your subjective ranking with different tracks. I've had the Raytheon 6SN7 and EML 5U4G in my WA22 before and this combo does sound pretty solid state to me as well. If you want something warmer and lusher for the WA22, something like RCA greyglass or Brimar CV1988 with Brimar 5R4GY rectifier will warm things up. On a Woo-related note, I decided to stop being lazy and tried out the Tung Sol and RCA 5U4GB rectifiers I have lying around, and I'm amazed at how good they sound considering their cheap price. Together with the Sylvania 6SN7W and Chatham 6AS7, they might not have the best speed, soundstaging or refinement, but this combo is very balanced and immersive. For now the RCA is a tiny bit better, but let's see how they'll perform after putting some hours in them. At $15 or less a tube, these guys are no-brainers if you want to try something different and cheap.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #21,958 of 42,298
Jun 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #21,960 of 42,298
Has anyone tried using WA2 preamp into a Meier Concerto/ Classic or another SS headphone amp?

I have the HD800 & LCD2, currently using Meier Classic with them.
Am thinking of getting a tube amp, WA6SE or WA2. I intend to keep the Classic for now.

Would expect WA2 be a better complement/contrast to the Classic, as oppose to WA6SE.

I have two sources, DAC and TT.  Instead of using splitters/ switchbox, the preamp function in the WA2 could come in handy.
Hence, wondering what would it sound like WA2 => Classic => HD800 & LCD2.

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back