Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #20,732 of 42,298

Quote:
So silent one, what's the verdict on now having maple isolation across the board now that it has been a few days?

We got side tracked. Received two different FIVRE 6SN7GT tubes - Brown base; Black base the same afternoon as the second Maple platform. No critical listening done yet. But sticking to my earlier impression, the middle got kicked wide open. But I did make a discovery - both the 2" Maple block and the spikes aren't right for this DAC. Returned to stocking feet with each of the three components. Then Tri-Absorbers and lastly spikes and combinations in between. At each turn, the DAC returned the poorest impressions and it is affected by the changes. 

I'm looking to get Brass footers next and try them under the server, DAC and amp (can only afford one set in the BIG size at this time). So, stay tuned! But yes, I'm on track with positive results and on the verge of getting even better.

May 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #20,733 of 42,298
May 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #20,734 of 42,298

Quote:

We got side tracked. Received two different FIVRE 6SN7GT tubes - Brown base; Black base the same afternoon as the second Maple platform. No critical listening done yet. But sticking to my earlier impression, the middle got kicked wide open. But I did make a discovery - both the 2" Maple block and the spikes aren't right for this DAC. Returned to stocking feet with each of the three components. Then Tri-Absorbers and lastly spikes and combinations in between. At each turn, the DAC returned the poorest impressions and it is affected by the changes. 

I'm looking to get Brass footers next and try them under the server, DAC and amp (can only afford one set in the BIG size at this time). So, stay tuned! But yes, I'm on track with positive results and on the verge of getting even better.

SO, you really have golden ears.  I can hardly tell the difference between difference cables.

May 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #20,735 of 42,298

Quote:

SO, you really have golden ears.  I can hardly tell the difference between difference cables.

I wish. I only hear the things I do because I am silent... while listening. 
biggrin.gif
 Seriously, this is one of those changes that is immediately apparent. Quick & dirty - moving your sources/amps to different surfaces, from wood, glass, granite and other surfaces will change the sound. And how a surface is housed or supported will matter too. For better or worse. Add in the swapping of footers and the number of changes in sound is all over the map.

That's why it's best to view this tweak as "tuning."

May 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #20,736 of 42,298
Well tonight is the very last class of my two year full-time evening academic program. Cheers to a helluva lot more listening time in my future!
atsmile.gif

May 1, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #20,738 of 42,298
May 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #20,741 of 42,298
Congratulations!

Back to audio as Silent One mentioned, I'm getting ready to not go to work and have a lazy morning with my WA22. I hope I can survive like this until I go back to work next Monday.
smile.gif

Quote:
beerchug.gif

im done with school this thursday too!!! 
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #20,742 of 42,298
I really hope no one reads my post above from work this morning.
devil_face.gif

May 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #20,743 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Check out MH WA22 for 1450

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607495/woo-audio-wa22-balanced-headphone-amplifier

MH, did you pick up the LF that went up for sale this morning? If I did not put in my camera purchase, that would be mine.

Took me a few days to catch up, this thread's been busy. We have some Woos listed, and sold!

Quote:
I just broke my Mullard GZ34 rectifier within two weeks of having it. Seemed like it was lined up like every other time, but when pushing it in the middle black plastic piece snapped off and got stuck in the WA22. Luckily it pulled right out and the amp seems fine. It hurts being such a newbie to tubes. Wonder how many a head-fi'er have done that before...

I guess good timing that I bought MH's Princess 274B tonight at least.

I did that, to a big Shuguang 274B. Is there any evidence of a pin guide left at all? That makes things easiest, just mark it on the side.

Quote:
Quote:
take a look at this dac cable, I have one in the office and love it.

http://www.headstage.com/USB-DAC-Cable:::1010.html?XTCsid=0d2c009bbaf04d674404789590bb493a

I may look at that.  Seems like a good price.  I'm content for now using the line out, but I may add that little dac in the future.

I have the better version for connecting to a Woo, it has RCAs instead of the miniplug. It's the same DAC cable otherwise, I have been meaning to list it for sale so PM me if you're interested.

Quote:
Well gentlemen (and ladies), I shipped off my WA22 to its new owner today. Kinda sad to see this great amp go. It's served me very well for the past year. On a brighter note, my LF is due mid-week.

You're firmly in the grip of your LCD-3 now, stay in touch!

Missed your tube sale too
angry_face.gif

Would have love to have grabbed a Princess off of you.

Quote:
Quote:

I hear ya! What'd you say?
wink_face.gif

May 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #20,744 of 42,298
Just traded-in my one month old Eastern Electric DAC Plus for a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2. Really looking forward to having volume control for my WA6SE 
biggrin.gif

Sitting 12 feet away from the amp, this will be much more practical for me. With an HT bypass input, I'll also be able to drive my monoblocks directly in fully balanced configuration.

May 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #20,745 of 42,298
Sweet. Please share impressions on how it compares to the EE Plus. Both DACs are on my radar for down the road.
Quote:
Just traded-in my one month old Eastern Electric DAC Plus for a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2. Really looking forward to having volume control for my WA6SE 
biggrin.gif

Sitting 12 feet away from the amp, this will be much more practical for me. With an HT bypass input, I'll also be able to drive my monoblocks directly in fully balanced configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back