Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 20, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #20,476 of 42,298

Quote:

me = want..! I really like the balancing act going on here :). Do you notice a difference with the changed feat vs the stock ones?

Without a doubt! But first, let me qualify that with the differences can range from the good, the bad and the ugly! During the past couple of months, I have enjoyed experienced all three, many times (most) to less than desirable results. Tonight, we're shaking it up again with a different config - different footers/spikes with components on other surfaces in different places. Soooo many combos! 

The night I took the pix shown above, the sonic presentation was a complete failure! But the configs tried last week were both good and promising. Adding new tweaks in 10 days, so things are not yet decided. Caveat - the wrong size footer, the wrong material, improper weight distribution, wrong surface and ect can all destroy and deaden the sound. Like other manually tuned items, you can get close, you could get lucky and then completely overshoot the mark! And that's ok 'cause tweaking/experimenting can lead to new insights - wasting time today to save money tomorrow! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #20,477 of 42,298

Quote:
I finally had enough of the O2 and Buttkicker amp not jiving with the WA2's beauty. The O2 is light enough to stick to the leg of my desk. Apologies for not having Austin's photography skills.

Satisfying... turns out you gave your ensemble the right touch.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #20,478 of 42,298

I replaced a set of XLR to RCA cable set that was flaking out making poor intermit connection. I then use monoprice 16AWG Cable (Gold Plated) XLR cables. Fort extra measure I put on snap on ferrite cokes on both end of the cable to make sure that none of the RF in the room will introduce into the cable.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #20,479 of 42,298
Okay, so the how do you order tube adapters from Woo Audio. They are nowhere to be found on their website anywhere. No links, no information, nothing. I'm looking for the 6SN7 to 68FG adapters - a pair.

Edit: Well, I just sent $96 to Woo Audio's PayPal with a note that I wanted these adapters. Hope that is all it takes. Man, that seems pricy for adapters. Ugh.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #20,481 of 42,298
I ordered a pair of Tung-Sol 6F8G BGRP and Mullard GZ34 from a member of the thread. Hopefully I won't be staring at them for a long time without having an adapter. Really curious to see how it compares with my current tubes. Sounds promising.

Now if only I could get a peak at USAF 96...
popcorn.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #20,482 of 42,298

Quote:
I ordered a pair of Tung-Sol 6F8G BGRP and Mullard GZ34 from a member of the thread. Hopefully I won't be staring at them for a long time without having an adapter. Really curious to see how it compares with my current tubes. Sounds promising.

Now if only I could get a peak at USAF 96...
popcorn.gif

ph34r.gif
 This is when you place them inside the drawer. Let's stay positive though...

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #20,483 of 42,298

Quote:

Without a doubt! But first, let me qualify that with the differences can range from the good, the bad and the ugly! During the past couple of months, I have enjoyed experienced all three, many times (most) to less than desirable results. Tonight, we're shaking it up again with a different config - different footers/spikes with components on other surfaces in different places. Soooo many combos! 

The night I took the pix shown above, the sonic presentation was a complete failure! But the configs tried last week were both good and promising. Adding new tweaks in 10 days, so things are not yet decided. Caveat - the wrong size footer, the wrong material, improper weight distribution, wrong surface and ect can all destroy and deaden the sound. Like other manually tuned items, you can get close, you could get lucky and then completely overshoot the mark! And that's ok 'cause tweaking/experimenting can lead to new insights - wasting time today to save money tomorrow! 
biggrin.gif

Wow, no idea it was so complicated and that the change could shift so drastically.. keep us posted on your results! 

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #20,484 of 42,298

Quote:

Wow, no idea it was so complicated and that the change could shift so drastically.. keep us posted on your results! 

One thing it does for me now is to consider and examine a unit's stocking feet. And be more selective where in the room and on what surface I place components. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #20,485 of 42,298

Quote:

One thing it does for me now is to consider and examine a unit's stocking feet. And be more selective where in the room and on what surface I place components. 

on my peachtree the stock feet can easily be screwed off, but the Woo doesn't seem to be like that.. Did you have cones on your SE or was it just stock? Right now I have everything resting on cut wood on top of a wood cabinet (kind of like your set-up but much less attractive); I actually didnt do it to lower noise, instead to give some clearance for the cables as my new cabinet has a 2-inch backing (its mean to be a bookcase not a audio cabinet).

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #20,486 of 42,298

Poor phone quality photo, I will take some better pictures with my actual camera soon.

The amp arrived today, but I could only listen to it for 20 minutes, had to study all today :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #20,487 of 42,298

Quote:

Poor phone quality photo, I will take some better pictures with my actual camera soon.

The amp arrived today, but I could only listen to it for 20 minutes, had to study all today :frowning2:

new to the 6SE crew, welcome :wink:

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #20,488 of 42,298

Quote:

on my peachtree the stock feet can easily be screwed off, but the Woo doesn't seem to be like that.. Did you have cones on your SE or was it just stock? Right now I have everything resting on cut wood on top of a wood cabinet (kind of like your set-up but much less attractive); I actually didnt do it to lower noise, instead to give some clearance for the cables as my new cabinet has a 2-inch backing (its mean to be a bookcase not a audio cabinet).

Your improvisation is great making do with what you've got! I originally intercepted the Maple Butcher's block on its way to the kitchen from Bed, Bath & Beyond. 
biggrin.gif
 I had long intended to use the same Black Dayton Speaker Spikes you see now but never got around to it. I like wicked - I was looking forward to spiking the 6 Special Edition. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Early testing shows the Mac mini fares better with the Dayton's but the amp & the DAC less so. This tells me the latter simply may need another type, shape, size and weight of footers. Or maybe just different mounting technique. But since it's "mass loading" we're talking about, the bigger and heavier footer should do much better.

If I recall while looking at the bottom of the Woo, doesn't it unscrew? Also something to consider is the twin chassis design - the power supply could send unwanted vibes to the amp if sitting on the same surface. Possible, I suppose. I was going to go with two small independent platforms but got caught up in rolling tubes. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #20,489 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

new to the 6SE crew, welcome :wink:

Excellent model and color selection, Earrat! What was your maiden track played on the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back