Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #19,561 of 42,298
It looks like the Woo Audio 6 sections have all been abandoned for some time now.  I recently aquired this model, and was disappointed in the sound.  Mind you, I was comparing to an imod with an ALO V-cap dock and Stepdance portable amp.  So, the stock WA6 was missing some impact for me and some guts.  Tuberolling didn't satisfy:  Either the sound was far-away and non-impactful, or close and thin sounding.  (Note: I mostly listen to classic pop/rock/country and my headphones are Senn HD650s).  Since Jack no longer upgrades the WA6, I found a local audio company.  I thought, it's great to keep my business in the community, after all.  Jeff at Audio Solutions here in Indianapolis upgraded it for me, using Mundorf Silver oils.  I asked for V caps and blackgates, but soon realized my timing was off:  Blackgate caps are so expensive now, and hard to find.  Jeff assured me that, at a fraction of the cost, Mundorf silvers come very close to the neutrality of V's for coupling, and that he could find other ways of enhancing the quality.

Now, I know good sound but I don't know all the physics of amp building.  I'm an audiophile listener, not a scientist or mathematician.  So, this information is coming from a mechanical novice.  Jeff showed me what he'd done to my Woo 6.  There were four bypass caps (I think he said they were .5's) and larger coupling caps (I think he said .22's).  Asked Jeff about the heat issue, as I understand that mundorf oils don't handle it well.  I think 130 degree F is as hot as they can stand.  Jack assured me that this amp doesn't run hot enough for this to be an issue.  Since the work is guaranteed, I suppose...we shall see if the heat becomes a problem.  I got the unit back Monday and have been letting the new caps burn-in.  Right away, the sound of the amp had more detail and weight, although the sound tilted toward the upper frequencies.  But I could tell I was in for a treat.  After 60 hours, the caps are sounding warmer with better bass impact, while still retaining the detail.  I had no idea anything could sound so good, and it is only getting better! 

I recommend keeping business in the community and upgrading locally. 

I have acquired a few tubes, but my favorite combination so far is the GZ34 Mullard/Holland metal base '57 rectifier with 6FD7 drivers...This combo brings the sound closer and makes it lush.  If you are just getting into tuberolling and you like full, warm, lush sound that is close-up, save money and just get 6FD7 driver tubes.  And, my favorite part, it gives weight to each instrument and voice...I hate thin sound!  Also have Brimar CV1988 6SN7's (is that the right code number?) and they sound very refined and exact, beautifully so...but the sound signature puts the performers way out in front of the listener to accomplish this.  With the GZ34, a balance it struck, but still the sound seems a bit thin.  I'm hoping that the this combo will improve when the caps have reached potential.  Because the GZ34 seems to bring everything in a closer, while the Brimars push back for more detail and spaciousness.  Hmmm.  Time will tell.  Since the upgrade, the 6EW7s, which seemed warm enough but with no impact, seem to have some slam.  So I will give them another try.  The GZ34 should work well with them.  When the sound source is my imod/v-cap dock, the sound in general has more presence. Haven't tried it yet, as I'm burning-in using my computer itunes library.  More to report later after 200 hours of burn in time!            

Mar 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #19,562 of 42,298
davidio -

Your experience will serve to enrich this thread; be of benefit to many. Glad to see you share and looking forward to your follow-up, post 200 hours.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #19,563 of 42,298
Just a heads up to my fellow Woonadians:

I am selling matched pairs of Tungsol 5998 and GEC 6080:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600160/tungsol-5998-match-pair

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600098/gec-g-e-c-6080-tubes-best-of-the-best

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #19,564 of 42,298

Quote:
Just a heads up to my fellow Woonadians:

I am selling matched pairs of Tungsol 5998 and GEC 6080:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600160/tungsol-5998-match-pair

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600098/gec-g-e-c-6080-tubes-best-of-the-best

popcorn.gif
 Hmmm.... ok, I'll call!

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #19,565 of 42,298
I guess I'm officially rolling tubes already even though my amp is probably still two weeks out. Feels surprising cool to have my first tubes :) Something about having a shiny new black modern WA22 and 1955 vintage tubes glowing just seems like a cool combination.

Starting out with Mullard GZ37 rectifier, Sylvania 7236 power, and Sylvania 6sn7 GTA driver tubes. Sorry for the horrible pic. Definitely no nice SLR here lol. Left off the flash to reduce glare.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #19,566 of 42,298

Quote:
It looks like the Woo Audio 6 sections have all been abandoned for some time now.  I recently aquired this model, and was disappointed in the sound.  Mind you, I was comparing to an imod with an ALO V-cap dock and Stepdance portable amp.  So, the stock WA6 was missing some impact for me and some guts.  Tuberolling didn't satisfy:  Either the sound was far-away and non-impactful, or close and thin sounding.  (Note: I mostly listen to classic pop/rock/country and my headphones are Senn HD650s).  Since Jack no longer upgrades the WA6, I found a local audio company.  I thought, it's great to keep my business in the community, after all.  Jeff at Audio Solutions here in Indianapolis upgraded it for me, using Mundorf Silver oils.  I asked for V caps and blackgates, but soon realized my timing was off:  Blackgate caps are so expensive now, and hard to find.  Jeff assured me that, at a fraction of the cost, Mundorf silvers come very close to the neutrality of V's for coupling, and that he could find other ways of enhancing the quality.

My local dealer also highly recommends the Mundorf Silver PIO caps for their musicality, they get a good write up in most reviews (Such as Jon L's). I'm having my Phono stage upgraded with these right now, if the change is positive through burn in I'll change the coupling caps in my Woo 5 too.

Its not a difficult mod to reverse if it doesn't go well.

How are you/did you find the burn in on the caps?

Mar 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #19,567 of 42,298
just got HD 800s!! listening to them with my WA2.

omg.... its insane.

the WA2 is really starting to show me whats its capable of....it has alot more power than i thought, and it really brings the best out of these headphones. they sound so much better than last time i heard them. more to come.

waiting for my T1 still....

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #19,568 of 42,298
Congrats!  The 800s do seem like the bee's knees.

Quote:

omg.... its insane.

the WA2 is really starting to show me whats its capable of....it has alot more power than i thought, and it really brings the best out of these headphones. they sound so much better than last time i heard them. more to come.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #19,569 of 42,298

Quote:

omg.... its insane.

Even Dubstep Mom is gonna wanna hear 'em! 
biggrin.gif
 Congrats! I know it's going to be BIG fun when the T1's return, fighting for a starting position in your rotation. Better still, seldom played tracks you left behind in obscurity now have a shot at getting played.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #19,571 of 42,298
the WA2 with sylvania 7236 can barely drive the LCD-2, i doubt it will have the muscle for the LCD-3.

it works great with high impedance like T1 / Hd 800 though...

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #19,572 of 42,298
darn, ever since I got so into custom IEMs, my two Beyer setups have just been sitting there in the dust... including one right here, with my WA3+ and all the vintage toobs you wanna tweak in... I'll have to mend my ways!

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #19,574 of 42,298
for me i can't get it as loud as i can with the WA6-SE. it just can't get very loud at all. sounds fine but only low volumes on slower songs that dont have complex bass passages.

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #19,575 of 42,298

6H13 and 5998 has higher gain if I'm not mistaken. But the 1,9 watts from the WA6SE surely gives the bass notes something to run for I guess..... I listen at moderate levels, though. 

Quote:
for me i can't get it as loud as i can with the WA6-SE. it just can't get very loud at all. sounds fine but only low volumes on slower songs that dont have complex bass passages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back