Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 27, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #19,276 of 42,298
And on the topic of isolation platforms, maple, and all things audio-tacular, I can heartily recommend this guy for those in the US (and outside, if you are willing to foot the shipping costs):

http://www.timbernation.com

Nice guy, and he's willing to put together anything you want if you have the specs or even a vague description. I bought two 4" maple blocks for my Meadowlark Swallows, and the workmanship is top notch.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #19,278 of 42,298

Quote:
And on the topic of isolation platforms, maple, and all things audio-tacular, I can heartily recommend this guy for those in the US (and outside, if you are willing to foot the shipping costs):

http://www.timbernation.com

Nice guy, and he's willing to put together anything you want if you have the specs or even a vague description. I bought two 4" maple blocks for my Meadowlark Swallows, and the workmanship is top notch.

Wow. Looks great. I'm afraid to ask how much a full rack would cost.

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #19,279 of 42,298

Quote:

Wow. Looks great. I'm afraid to ask how much a full rack would cost.

If you drill down (and sideways) into the website, the five shelf 2" racks start in the low teens and, depending on finish and wood, go up from there. But shew boy, they will outlast us all. I dig the simplicity of his design, and the sheer weight of the pieces. I estimate my two little 12x9x4" platforms are in the neighborhood of 15 lbs each. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #19,280 of 42,298
Even outside isolation tweaks, I really like wood inside the listening room and inside the home in general. It's very pleasing to be around.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #19,281 of 42,298

Quote:
If you drill down (and sideways) into the website, the five shelf 2" racks start in the low teens and, depending on finish and wood, go up from there. But shew boy, they will outlast us all. I dig the simplicity of his design, and the sheer weight of the pieces. I estimate my two little 12x9x4" platforms are in the neighborhood of 15 lbs each. 

Wow. His prices are really quite reasonable considering it is all hand made from some thick gorgeous american wood. I love wood and quality american goods so I think I'll be keeping a close eye on this site. Thanks sunmonkey

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #19,282 of 42,298
I had been intending to put 1.5" Black coated brass spikes between my Woo and Maple platform, just never finished saving for it.

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #19,283 of 42,298
Personally I do not spikes since it is too easy for the spikes to dig or scratch the wood or the equipment bellow it. At the RMAF I almost moved the amp that was on top of the power supply while trying to plug in the T1 headphones at the show. I do not like spikes on speakers either and the spikes will try to drill a hole in the floor with all of the vibration that loudspeakers produce.

I would feel better with something like this maybe.

Valab Audio Vibration Isolation Damper Feet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270761812920?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I like to use Soft Silicone half ball feet but the problem with them is that they wiggle to much and can pull the finish off from wood. You have to get the right isolation feet to the weight of the equipment.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #19,284 of 42,298
Thanks for the link. In my case, digging into the wood is precisely what I'd like. My Maple block was specifically bought for this application, not the kitchen. But I can understand if one has furniture - racks, cabinets and such.

And agree, stability with some components can be an issue...

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #19,285 of 42,298

Quote:
Personally I do not spikes since it is too easy for the spikes to dig or scratch the wood or the equipment bellow it. 

John, I definitely hear you, but I agree with SilentOne that the "dig" is key to getting the most from a good wood isolation base. As much as I hated to mar the surface of the maple platforms, the moment the cones made solid contact and got good bite, was then the transducer's energy was finally being poured into creating sound and not cabinet vibration.

Yeah, not sure I'd be bold enough to put cones on top of other equipment. That makes me sad just thinking about it. But most cone sets come with the little seating discs that the points fit into, no? Seems like that would minimize potential scratching from jostling. But this is a good point: are cones needed for electrical kit? For speakers, yes, I get it. But for amps and the like ... I've always wondered.

I fear the day when I peel back the carpeting and look at what the carpet spikes on my Snell AIII "refrigerators" have done to my sub-flooring. But till that day, ignorance is bliss!

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #19,286 of 42,298
To answer my own question: I suppose cones also make sense on equipment most sensitive to vibration: CDPs and tube-based components come to mind. So, for Woos, seems like it might be an interesting addition.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #19,287 of 42,298
A quantity of 8 spikes 1.5" can be had for $66 plus tax. I like 'em at this price! The maker's name escapes me but some exhibitors had them in play at RMAF. Found 'em! It's Dedicated Audio.

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/2571/5591

blk_chrome_1.5_speaker_spikes.jpg

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #19,289 of 42,298
One of the headphone amps that I was talking about previously that has the cones is the Dark Star at the RMAF.
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/dark-star

It is just seems too easy to knock the amp off the power unit when you have friends over to listen, plugging in with different headphones in my opinion. It is something I would have to be careful with. I would personally use a different arrangement in setting up with the amp. I do agree that the cones or spikes needs something to bite into for maximum performance of isolation. A heavy platform with wood or soft metal inserts may be a possible idea to try in some cases.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #19,290 of 42,298

Quote:
One of the headphone amps that I was talking about previously that has the cones is the Dark Star at the RMAF.
http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/dark-star

It is just seems too easy to knock the amp off the power unit when you have friends over to listen, plugging in with different headphones in my opinion. It is something I would have to be careful with. I would personally use a different arrangement in setting up with the amp. I do agree that the cones or spikes needs something to bite into for maximum performance of isolation. A heavy platform with wood or soft metal inserts may be a possible idea to try in some cases.

After visiting your link, this could very well be the one's I had trouble remembering early this morning. Still not sure... but still sleepy. 
biggrin.gif
 The cones Mach2music used underneath a Mac mini looked great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back