Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #18,961 of 42,298

Quote:
Absolutely! Depending on one's budget and target goals, there's several options. A few current posters to this thread have even worked in the Power Conditioning industry. Some use isolation transformers with or without other AC remedies. Me? I'm a poor. And have chosen to go with an APC Power Conditioner with surge protection. Different manufacturer's sometimes target different areas for AC treatment. And this can affect the quality of your audio. I mention this so you can be careful to compare apples to apples, not oranges when shopping.

I should qualify my opening by stating, I've no idea what your reality is for clean AC. Some residences have it cleaner or dirtier than others. Then there's the matter of interference inside the listening room - what kind and how much is in yours? I simply don't know. But do want to encourage you to identify problems and look at options to address them. 
biggrin.gif
 Not going to be a one size fits all solution.

[size=medium]It depends on your situation. Do you have frequent brown outs or power outages? Do you have cable TV in the house and that certainly can affect the grounding of equipment in some cases. Do you have many light dimmers in the house and are they on the same circuit breaker for your audio equipment? Does your house have a dedicated earth ground?  In some places the code required that you need two earth grounds. What I am using is this: [/size][size=medium]http://www.fruitridgetools.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=136763&i=238053403&mpid=8171&dfid=1[/size]
[size=medium]Just the shipping is a bit high but I feel it is a good bang for the buck as far isolation transformer goes.[/size]

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #18,962 of 42,298

Quote:

[size=medium]It depends on your situation. Do you have frequent brown outs or power outages? Do you have cable TV in the house and that certainly can affect the grounding of equipment in some cases. Do you have many light dimmers in the house and are they on the same circuit breaker for your audio equipment? Does your house have a dedicated earth ground?  In some places the code required that you need two earth grounds. What I am using is this: [/size][size=medium]http://www.fruitridgetools.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=136763&i=238053403&mpid=8171&dfid=1[/size]
[size=medium]Just the shipping is a bit high but I feel it is a good bang for the buck as far isolation transformer goes.[/size]

Thanks for your reply, john57. And expanding on my comment of "Target goals" - with both of us understanding "It depends." I've previously identified my own problems and solutions inside the home. 

However, it is member Ahzari that is seeking solutions, not me. 
smiley_thumb.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #18,963 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm considering an Ultrasone purchase.  Could you describe your 2900s for me, please?  Do you know anything about the 2400s?  Thanks.

don't know anything about the 2400 (Ive heard they are warmer than the 900/2900).. Its weird, I don't think ultrasones pair wonderfully with the Woo 6series I have tried them with. The 2900s are a great upgrade from the 900s, but they sound hallow sometimes (very unforgiving on tracks), compared with my new signature pros, their sound was much less neutral with emphasis in the treble and bass frequencies. But, with that said, I think the 2900s are great headphones and you can get a great price from RMC Audio if you are interested. I prefer the Signature Pro, but its a very expensive upgrade (just got it, so not quite sure if its worth the extra cost). My D7000s are still the king of the hill (to my ears) they just do so well with my WA6SE.. I should have some Audeze LCD2 rev2s on the way to try out, I'll post the results with my Woo.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #18,964 of 42,298
Thanks for your insights.  I appreciate them.

Quote:
don't know anything about the 2400 (Ive heard they are warmer than the 900/2900).. Its weird, I don't think ultrasones pair wonderfully with the Woo 6series I have tried them with. The 2900s are a great upgrade from the 900s, but they sound hallow sometimes (very unforgiving on tracks), compared with my new signature pros, their sound was much less neutral with emphasis in the treble and bass frequencies. But, with that said, I think the 2900s are great headphones and you can get a great price from RMC Audio if you are interested. I prefer the Signature Pro, but its a very expensive upgrade (just got it, so not quite sure if its worth the extra cost). My D7000s are still the king of the hill (to my ears) they just do so well with my WA6SE.. I should have some Audeze LCD2 rev2s on the way to try out, I'll post the results with my Woo.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #18,965 of 42,298

Quote:

Can't wait for you to put some hours on both the Signature Pro's and LCD-2's. Owning the 6 SE, I would love to hear your impressions. I too, really like the D7000 pairing!

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #18,966 of 42,298
Hi,

For anyone who owns a WES, is it worth it to go for the tube upgrades, I was thinking to go for:

Driver tubes upgrade:
Sophia 6SL7 grade A matched quad.

Power tubes upgrade:
Shugang 50-Years Treasure 6CA7 matched quad.

But if it's not worth it that's 880$ I will gladly put else where.

Complete system will be Stax SR-009, PS Audio perfectwave DAC+Transport.

Thanks

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #18,967 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi,

For anyone who owns a WES, is it worth it to go for the tube upgrades, I was thinking to go for:

Driver tubes upgrade:
Sophia 6SL7 grade A matched quad.

Power tubes upgrade:
Shugang 50-Years Treasure 6CA7 matched quad.

But if it's not worth it that's 880$ I will gladly put else where.

Complete system will be Stax SR-009, PS Audio perfectwave DAC+Transport.

Thanks

Since you have the SR-009, I will say go for it.  You know you will regret not getting it later.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #18,969 of 42,298
I suppose you're right and I don't want to save a few hunders on the 15k $ system I'm building but I was hoping someone who experience the WES with and without the upgraded tube could comment.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #18,971 of 42,298
My WA6SE Maxxxed is getting delivered today.  

Can't wait to pair with Sophia and 6EW7 and Grado GS1000i.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #18,972 of 42,298

Quote:
My WA6SE Maxxxed is getting delivered today.  

Can't wait to pair with Sophia and 6EW7 and Grado GS1000i.

I placed an order for a WA6-SE last week.  I am getting the 274b Sophia Princess and the 6GL7/6EM7 tube upgrades.

Can someone tell me what a "maxed" WA6-SE is comprised of?

thanks.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #18,973 of 42,298

Quote:
I placed an order for a WA6-SE last week.  I am getting the 274b Sophia Princess and the 6GL7/6EM7 tube upgrades.

Can someone tell me what a "maxed" WA6-SE is comprised of?

thanks.

Different internal parts, caps, resistors, etc.  I'm not sure which ones, you'd have to ask the people at Woo, or the owner of the specific amp.  Woo tweaks their amps from time to time.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #18,974 of 42,298
Quote:
I suppose you're right and I don't want to save a few hunders on the 15k $ system I'm building but I was hoping someone who experience the WES with and without the upgraded tube could comment.

You might want to do a little more research first, as I've read more than once (including in the SFO meet thread today) that the 009 needs more power than the WES can deliver for optimum performance.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #18,975 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

You might want to do a little more research first, as I've read more than once (including in the SFO meet thread today) that the 009 needs more power than the WES can deliver for optimum performance.

I had the chance to listen to the SR-009 with both the WES and A10 side by side at a meet. I personally think the A10 is a better match in this case. IMO is better than the WES and way better than the BHSE for the SR-009.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back