Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 19, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #18,046 of 42,298

Quote:
Indeed its early days.

Rolled in my 5962s last night spun some Vinyl and certainly enjoyed what I heard - Ill put some more hours on the 596 and try the TSRP again.

Interesting comments...

I can't say I really experienced a forward soundstage with the 596/TSRP. For me it was changing power tubes that would move the soundstage up a bit (at least with the TS5998).

I think both tubes are actually strong in the same areas - better bass and micro details.  I just wonder if not using TSRP makes it seem like the 596 brings more to the table with lesser driver tubes. I listen to the TSRP for the tone and overall balance you don't get with other driver tubes. It might also be the difference between amps and source too.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #18,047 of 42,298

Different tubes are going to have different voltage and plate dissipation ratings. And will end up operating at a different percentage of its maximum plate rating - some higher, some lower and in between. Yes, it's normal, especially if you're running stock drive tubes.

However, the first time I installed my NOS GE 6SN7GTA-1953's, if it weren't for the music emanating, I'd have never knew the amp was running. After an hour it was still cool to the touch. Ok, there was tube glow, but still... 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #18,048 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey, since you have both amps, which sounds better to you, the 6se or 2, got the hd800s.

for me. depends on the headphone im using. the rs1, t1, and dt 990s sound best on wa2. everything else WA6-SE, also mosttly because the wa2 can't power lower impedances.

the hd 800s im gonna guess will sound better out of the WA2 which is warmer and smooths out the highs more than the WA6-SE.

but these are both world class amps and neither is "better" than the other. they both are just as good and it just depends on your headphones + taste.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #18,049 of 42,298
Yep, as you said, different tubes will have different heater filaments and will also draw different loads off the transformer.  Some tubes even make my transformer slightly hum, and others are dead silent.

Quote:

Different tubes are going to have different voltage and plate dissipation ratings. And will end up operating at a different percentage of its maximum plate rating - some higher, some lower and in between. Yes, it's normal, especially if you're running stock drive tubes.

However, the first time I installed my NOS GE 6SN7GTA-1953's, if it weren't for the music emanating, I'd have never knew the amp was running. After an hour it was still cool to the touch. Ok, there was tube glow, but still... 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #18,050 of 42,298
I've had my WA6-SE for a few months now and I'd like to get a pair of upgraded tubes.  I'd like to order from Jack because I need a headphone stand from him as well.  I know I'll be getting the Sophia Princess for the rectifier, but what drive/ power tubes should I get?  I'd be willing to get the 6EM7s (the ones with the adapter) if I knew that it would be totally work the extra $85 over the other options.  Is it that much "better" with HD650s (and classical/ soundtracks?  If not, should I get the 6FD7, 6EW7, or 6DR7s?

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #18,051 of 42,298

Quote:
I've had my WA6-SE for a few months now and I'd like to get a pair of upgraded tubes.  I'd like to order from Jack because I need a headphone stand from him as well.  I know I'll be getting the Sophia Princess for the rectifier, but what drive/ power tubes should I get?  I'd be willing to get the 6EM7s (the ones with the adapter) if I knew that it would be totally work the extra $85 over the other options.  Is it that much "better" with HD650s (and classical/ soundtracks?  If not, should I get the 6FD7, 6EW7, or 6DR7s?

Hi, i'm using the 6DN7 tubes (similar to the 6EM7) + adapters from Woo Audio and i think they are worth the asking price.
These tubes are IMHO more detailed than the standard 6DE7/6EW7, but the sound is slightly less warm.

In my experience, the 6EW7 are warmer (i have 2 pairs branded RCA) than the 6DE7 and 6DN7.
Actually i'm waiting for some 6GL7 from Jack, these should sound similar to the 6DN7; jack says these are even better, but i can't confirm until i listen to them.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #18,052 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi guys, I've returned to posting! I'm still working on saving up for a 6SE, and had some questions regarding tubes. Over the course of this thread, people have loved the Sophia, then thought they were dying too soon, so they went to EML, then some people thought those died early too, then EML did some QC and fixed issues, some people still like Sophia, others moved to JAN and NOS tubes and on and on and on.

Long story short, I'd prefer current production (at least for the rectifier) so that I have the safety of a warranty. Did Sophia and EML ever sort out their QC issues, or are there still lots of cases of tubes blowing up way too early?

Also, as far as drive/power tubes for the 6SE--I know that it doesn't support 6SN7 but Glenn's adapters with the extra cap do allow this. The idea of 6SN7 intrigues me, but again the NOS prices are skyrocketing. Are there any current production 6SN7 tubes that are on par with the Shuggies? Should this route be avoided altogether and I just go with 6FD7?

Thanks all!

Hey all, just wanted to bump my question from a few pages back, thanks! :)

I've had 6F8G suggested as well as a substitute to 6SN7's, any input?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #18,053 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey all, just wanted to bump my question from a few pages back, thanks! :)

I've had 6F8G suggested as well as a substitute to 6SN7's, any input?

I never compared to 6FD7 and 6SN7/6F8G directly but I love the latter one much better with HD800.  It is a very hard comparison, the 6FD7 is much less expensive...  If money is not an object, I will certainly go the 6SN7 route, it is much more widely use on other amp.  Think about upgrade to WA22 in the future??? 

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #18,054 of 42,298

Quote:

I currently prefer the sound of the 6FD7 to the stock 6EW7 on my SE (with my Sophia Princess)... much warmer and sweeter sound (right out of the box).. neither of the driver tubes have been burned in much.

Quote:

rolleyes.gif

good to know! it must be the 6FD7s then..

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #18,055 of 42,298
New tubes arrived today.  Just rolled in some Philips JAN 6922.  They are warming up now.  Will give a listen in a bit.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #18,057 of 42,298
You know it!  I have some various power tubes scheduled to arrive in the next few days.  Hopefully no fuses!

Quote:
Great! In the previous mix-up, I'm guessing there were no 5x20mm 3.2v Slow Blow Type-T fuses found. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #18,058 of 42,298

Fusion--

Tube rolling often reminds me of fusion inside the kitchen. It could be inside your own kitchen, family, friend and/or restaurant. Loving the known favorites yet, craving a little something different. Perhaps, a taste in between. And so you hunt... like a Louisiana Bloodhound! Searching high and low - sometimes getting boxed in the nose (ugh! - that ain't it!!!) Other times, tripping over a completely different find while pursuing another member's suggestions and being delighted all the same.

A wonderful adventure, this hobby... 
popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #18,059 of 42,298
Yes it is.  I love tube rolling.  There's just something gratifying about rolling tubes to get that perfect sound instead of using a graphic equalizer. 

Quote:

Fusion--

Tube rolling often reminds me of fusion inside the kitchen. It could be inside your own kitchen, family, friend and/or restaurant. Loving the known favorites yet, craving a little something different. Perhaps, a taste in between. And so you hunt... like a Louisiana Bloodhound! Searching high and low - sometimes getting boxed in the nose (ugh! - that ain't it!!!) Other times, tripping over a completely different find while pursuing another member's suggestions and being delighted all the same.

A wonderful adventure, this hobby... 
popcorn.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #18,060 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes it is.  I love tube rolling.  There's just something gratifying about rolling tubes to get that perfect sound instead of using a graphic equalizer. 

I've long had a parametric equalizer that uses plug-in modules, so I use to roll those. It came with standard frequencies but it was really interesting to buy and use Q's in between. This plug & play concept is one of things I admired about the MHDT Labs Balanced Havana I had here for awhile. Had I kept it, I would have swapped some caps and things in and out for fun and pursuit of higher fidelity. All in a matter of seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back