Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #17,596 of 42,298
Oh man, I should have talked to you first!  That's awesome!  

Quote:
I did more or less the same thing to keep things clean and to keep my tubes from getting damaged when the cleaners are here.  Like idn I don't keep it in place when operating.  I got a little custom with the gain cutout and around the HPOs so I can leave things plugged in. TapPlastics to the rescue!

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #17,597 of 42,298
the only can i've read thats low that sounds good out of the 2 is the he 500
and even then it was only in that big review comparing the 6se and the 2 with the hd800s

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #17,599 of 42,298
Well I took a little break from much participating on here. Been really busy to start off this year, which is a good thing. I was also having a rattle problem with my left driver on my HD 650, and was pissed, figuring I would have to replace it. Thankfully, I read a thread on here explaining how to fix it! I posted these pics in the WA6/SE thread, but figured I'd put them over here also. Took a few pics of my rig today sitting in my latest purchase (Quadraspire Q4 Evo). I had to take a shelf off of it, since I have my Linn on a wall mount. Need to get my longer legs for the bottom piece, as my Jolida can't vent very well at the moment.

I've been hesitant to do much reviewing of my gear because of the aforementioned rattle in my Sennheisers, and the fact that my most expensive piece of gear has been missing for the last 9 weeks. My Orotofon Jubilee came back today in the mail, so once I dial my Linn's suspension in, and get the cartridge aligned, I'll be back in heaven. Most of my reference recordings are on vinyl, and the back-up was pretty mediocre in comparison. In my system a low-out moving coil cartridge makes everything exponentially better.

Also just picked up a Schiit Lyr locally, to try and dip into the world of Orthos. Its a good deal and couldn't really pass it up. If I like it a lot, probably will trade up the 6 for a SE or 22.

Jan 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #17,601 of 42,298

Quote:
I can say without a doubt that my WA3 does not pair well with low impedance cans.  They really need to be 250 ohm or higher to sound good. 

Quote:
+1

my WA2 with various tubes (including the TS 5998, Syl 7236, stock GE) cannot run any low impedance except grado (works at low volumes).

the WA3 will not have enough power for anything with low impedance.

OTL amps are for high impedance like beyer and senn

Thanks for the replay's much appreciated. *checking his wallet
devil_face.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #17,604 of 42,298
From my experience I would skip the Pro-Ject (haven't heard the Xpression though) and go for the MM5 or a Rega P25. If you could score a P5 for that cheap, better yet. You might even be able to find a VPI HW 19 for near that amount, but its going to tip the scales a bit over $700.

Nice thing is about a P25/P5 is that there are mods galore for it. Just modifying the tonearm (new weight, end stub) makes a huge difference in my experience. The RB600/700 is a great arm, and it alone new sells for $895. Being a RB700 owner I can tell you its a fantastic arm and works with a wide variety of carts, even heavier LOMC types.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #17,606 of 42,298

Quote:
From my experience I would skip the Pro-Ject (haven't heard the Xpression though) and go for the MM5 or a Rega P25. If you could score a P5 for that cheap, better yet. You might even be able to find a VPI HW 19 for near that amount, but its going to tip the scales a bit over $700.

Nice thing is about a P25/P5 is that there are mods galore for it. Just modifying the tonearm (new weight, end stub) makes a huge difference in my experience. The RB600/700 is a great arm, and it alone new sells for $895. Being a RB700 owner I can tell you its a fantastic arm and works with a wide variety of carts, even heavier LOMC types.

Yeah. I'm really loving my P5. I can't believe I never went into the world of vinyl earlier. The only problem of course is the inherent costs that keep on piling up.. cartridge, phono stage, PSU upgrade, platter upgrade, digital pressure gauge, record cleaning machine, record cleaning fluids ... and of course those first print Blue Note records :)

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #17,607 of 42,298
Thanks again... this got me on the right track.  I ended up trying a pair of Made in Japan fat bottle Raytheon 6EW7's.  It took the edge off both the T1 and HD-800's.  I'm sticking with these and the Brimar for a while and enjoying some music...

Quote:

Hi, I have 3 pairs of tubes to use with my 6 SE:

6EW7 RCA;
6DE7 Zenith;
6DN7 RCA (GE made);

the warmest of the 3 are the 6EW7 RCA. They have very smooth mids and hights and a full bass, big soundstage but slightly less details than the other 2 pairs.
The tubes with more details are without a dubt the 6DN7, these sounds very smooth but slightly more solid-state. This does not mean they are cold, but they are less tubey than the others i have.
The rectifier is the Sophia Princess and the headphone the Tesla T1.
But please consider that my 6 SE is not fully burned-in, it only has 60 hours on it. This has to be taken in account and may affect my listening impressions.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #17,608 of 42,298
with a view to extending the life of my 6SE (with it's current sound) i've been trying to find a backup pair or two of CBS 6DN7.  apparently these things are very hard to find!  at least for a t00b n00b like me without any hookups.  so i caved and asked Jack if i could procure a couple from him.  he tells me they are out of stock (guess they're hard to find for everyone...) and is currently recommending 6GL7 instead.  he tells me it sounds better than the 6DN7.  has anyone here used these?  i'd love to hear some impressions, comments, etc...

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #17,609 of 42,298

Quote:
with a view to extending the life of my 6SE (with it's current sound) i've been trying to find a backup pair or two of CBS 6DN7.  apparently these things are very hard to find!  at least for a t00b n00b like me without any hookups.  so i caved and asked Jack if i could procure a couple from him.  he tells me they are out of stock (guess they're hard to find for everyone...) and is currently recommending 6GL7 instead.  he tells me it sounds better than the 6DN7.  has anyone here used these?  i'd love to hear some impressions, comments, etc...

I'm in the same situation.

I like a lot the sound of my RCA 6DN7 (General Electric made) but these are pretty hard to find.
I think that the only way to understand if these 6GL7 are for me is to buy at least one pair and try by myself.

About the 6GL7 sounding better than the 6DN7, this may be very taste-dependent:

a lot of peple likes the warmer 6EW7 sound to the 6DN7 one; so. for those people, the 6EW7 may sound better.

Jan 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #17,610 of 42,298
6GL7 looks more like a 6EA7/6EM7 than a 6DN7.

I'd still agree, the 6EA7/6EM7 is closer in sound to the 6DN7 than the 6EW7.

Quote:
I'm in the same situation.

I like a lot the sound of my RCA 6DN7 (General Electric made) but these are pretty hard to find.
I think that the only way to understand if these 6GL7 are for me is to buy at least one pair and try by myself.

About the 6GL7 sounding better than the 6DN7, this may be very taste-dependent:

a lot of peple likes the warmer 6EW7 sound to the 6DN7 one; so. for those people, the 6EW7 may sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back