Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #17,041 of 42,298
I would say this definitely part of it.  But don't forget sensitivity.  Voltage from OTL amps is great for high impedance cans, but sensitivity mismatches can lead to less than optimal results.  Also, I'm pretty sure the GE6AS7GA tube is pretty low gain.  Drop the 5998 or 7236 in there, and you'll notice more gain.

Quote:
is this due to the fact that the WA2 is otl and isn't good at powering lower impedance cans? cause it seems weird cause other people say grados and wa2 work fine. it isn't super noticeable at first, but more noticeable in the bass region.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #17,042 of 42,298

Quote:
I would say this definitely part of it.  But don't forget sensitivity.  Voltage from OTL amps is great for high impedance cans, but sensitivity mismatches can lead to less than optimal results.  Also, I'm pretty sure the GE6AS7GA tube is pretty low gain.  Drop the 5998 or 7236 in there, and you'll notice more gain.

oh ok. thanks. so yeah i can't listen to grados/k701/pro 900s with it. at least not very loudly, cause it starts to sound bad. 

however, the hd 650s and beyers sound great. the bass on them is amazing, and everything sounds well powered.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #17,043 of 42,298
Yep, for example, the 701's sensitivity is 105 db and the 990s is 96 db.  This is a very drastic difference.

Quote:
oh ok. thanks. so yeah i can't listen to grados/k701/pro 900s with it. at least not very loudly, cause it starts to sound bad. 

however, the hd 650s and beyers sound great. the bass on them is amazing, and everything sounds well powered.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #17,044 of 42,298

Quote:
Yep, for example, the 701's sensitivity is 105 db and the 990s is 96 db.  This is a very drastic difference.

what about my grados?

they start sounding bad out of the WA2 at a lower volume level compared to the WA6SE. is that also due to the impedance mismatch and sensitivity?

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #17,045 of 42,298
Grados are lower in sensitivity, but also low impedance.  Different cans have different synergies based on a number of factors, but the general consensus is OTL amps don't play nice with Grados and AKG cans.  But, this is for different reasons.  AKGs need good amping because of their high sensitivity, which OTLs don't play nice with.  Grados are lower impedance, which OTLs don't play nice with.

The WA2 really shines with the 300 ohm Senns and the 600 ohm Beyers.  It doesn't play nice with AKGs and Grados.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #17,046 of 42,298

Quote:
what about my grados?

they start sounding bad out of the WA2 at a lower volume level compared to the WA6SE. is that also due to the impedance mismatch and sensitivity?

i think so.
my 32 ohm beyers were the same way.
12 oclock and they started to distort/clip and sound bad.
so i sold them.

do the 650s sound really good?
i have a pair on the way.
not sure what to expect other than the warmth

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #17,047 of 42,298

Quote:
and just wondering. i tried all my headphones out of my WA2. and going past 1-2 o clock. on the volume knob, all the headphones start to distort out of the WA2 except my hd 650s and dt 990s.

is this due to the fact that the WA2 is otl and isn't good at powering lower impedance cans? cause it seems weird cause other people say grados and wa2 work fine. it isn't super noticeable at first, but more noticeable in the bass region.

like grados/akg/ and my pro 900 don't get super loud with the WA2 before they start to clip, whereas they get super loud from my WA6SE.

You can hear distortion at high volumes from AKG/Grado & Pro 900?

The thing they all have in common is that they are all low impedance headphones.
If you really are listening Super Loud! then maybe the amp is running out of current.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #17,048 of 42,298
Quote:
ya know, there is a spiffy iDevice app and OS X widget called "Deliveries" from junecloud that does an awful good job of tracking packages.  the apps/widget synch through junecloud so when you add a tracking number it shows up on all your devices automagically.  it can also divine the correct carrier from the tracking number or amazon order number so adding entries is easy as pie.  i highly recommend it for the mac types among us.

Couldn't find that one. I think that you meant "Delivery Manager" which I did find, thanks!

Quote:
PM incoming.

Don't be shy, share with everyone as this is a universal subject 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #17,053 of 42,298

Quote:
i think so.
my 32 ohm beyers were the same way.
12 oclock and they started to distort/clip and sound bad.
so i sold them.

do the 650s sound really good?
i have a pair on the way.
not sure what to expect other than the warmth

On the WA6 the 650s sound ok.. I like the Denon and Ultrasone sound better.. Returning the Senns.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #17,054 of 42,298

Quote:

You can hear distortion at high volumes from AKG/Grado & Pro 900?

The thing they all have in common is that they are all low impedance headphones.
If you really are listening Super Loud! then maybe the amp is running out of current.

on my WA2 its not even at SUPER loud volumes, just loud.  like 12 oclock on the dial maybe 1.  i think its more about control than current.  at 32 ohms the 2 puts out about 350 mW which isn't a ton, but i i assume it would be plenty for that volume.  i think its more impedance missmatch and poor damping than not enough current at taht volume.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #17,055 of 42,298

Quote:
what about my grados?

Generally the impedance of the headphone is the deciding factor.  OTL amps love high impedance loads and are unhappy driving low impedance.  This is one reason the T1 works so well with this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back