Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #17,011 of 42,298

Quote:
I did some digging into this, and am surprised nobody else has really done so.  Especially in the 6AS7 thread where it got discussed in more length. 

IMO the claim that the WE 421A is identical to the TS5998 just because it is made by Tung-Sol can be debunked by looking at the data sheets.  There are several key differences, most notably an even higher mu factor of 6.1 as opposed to the 5.5 of the 5998, and even higher transconductance than a 5998.  There were also a couple of minor physical design differences that are really hard to spot by eye.  So the 421A may in fact sound different than the 5998 by design, and may operate a bit differently electrically in a circuit than a 5998 would.

I think it's entirely possible that when people say they sound different they are actually hearing that difference.

When I mentioned that I could hear some differences I was nearly crucified.
Do you have a link to the WE421 data sheet please?

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #17,012 of 42,298

Silent Notes... made visible.

Below: Pix of my APC AV "H" Type Power Conditioner H10, UEC USAF-596 & Tung-Sol VT-231/6SN7GT BGRP's puttin' in work!

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #17,014 of 42,298

Quote:
ya know, there is a spiffy iDevice app and OS X widget called "Deliveries" from junecloud that does an awful good job of tracking packages.  the apps/widget synch through junecloud so when you add a tracking number it shows up on all your devices automagically.  it can also divine the correct carrier from the tracking number or amazon order number so adding entries is easy as pie.  i highly recommend it for the mac types among us.

beerchug.gif
 Nice to see thrak has all of our Mac-backs! Sometimes, all the tracking in the world can be futile. I requested "Signature Required" from Woo Audio/FedEx. It was hot summer day in July. I began my vigil for the delivery truck late morning. Morning turned to noon to afternoon. I had been checking my screen on the quarter (15 min) but no sign or trace. 

@ 15:30,  I decided to go outside and just look up & down the street and listen for a hot minute. I swung open the door... and the Woo Audio box was just propped up against the house on the porch. 
eek.gif
 In plain sight mind you! I stay in a corner home - the porch is highly visible in three directions.

The Tag clearly had "Signature Required" checked. Worse? It dropped @ 12:15!!!.... updates/notifications were delayed. 

deadhorse.gif

My WA 6 Special Edition already saw two delays - Spring demand and then Woo Audio closed up to go out of town for an Audio show. If I had to wait yet again for FedEx to settle the claim with Woo Audio, I would've had a brand new WA22, no joking baby!  Somebody was goin' to have to give up sumthin'... 
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #17,015 of 42,298
Has anyone ever used Drop in Solid State Rectifiers. I've been googling compatibility lists for the WA2, came across this.
http://thetubestore.com/wb-wca4.html
Googling the details in pic turned up the manufacturer.
http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html

I'm intrigued.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #17,017 of 42,298

Quote:
I happened across another picture of the inside of the heat sinks/housings on the WA6SE... recalling some chatter about this in the recent past I thought I'd post it.  They are not "potted" from the looks of this picture.

http://ravenda.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/woo-audio-6-se/

Question from a would be WA-6 or WA-6SE owner.....

can you expand on the sound quality differences between the 6 and 6SE?

thanks, C.

BTW those housings ain't potted, are they!
wink_face.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #17,018 of 42,298

Quote:
So I've been playing around a bit with the 6SN7 and 6DE7 on the WA6... They are obviously not burned in (arrived today) but the stock 6DE7 tubes are sounding better than the 6SN7 (came with some RCAs).
The 6DE7 have smoother, richer, deeper sound.. The 6SN7 almost gives me the feeling that I'm listening to a SS amp.
Considering taking the 15% hit and returning them to Woo. Would the sound signature drastically change with burn in?
From this thread I got the impression that the 6SN7 tubes are supposed to be superior to the 6DE7...

It will vary with different tubes. I found my first pair of 6SN7's - NOS matched GE 6SN7GTA 1953's to be forgettable out of the box. And questioned myself through hour 75. They emerged and hit their stride between hours 76 and 125. 

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #17,019 of 42,298

Quote:

wow. all black it looks sooo cool!!!! must sound really good too!

so in response to the previous questions.

my wa2 arrives sometime today! 

yes, i plan on reviewing and posting my WA2 impressions, even comparing them to my WA6SE!

i ordered my tungsol 5998s from here http://tejastubes.com/Poweroutputvacuumaudiotubes.htm

and my check hasn't came in yet 
mad.gif
. looks like it got sent to my apartment instead despite me changing the mailing address on my paperwork. that just means i have to wait longer to get my T1 and LCD-2 than what i thought. 

also i think im adding d-2000 and hd 600s to my shopping list....well maybe. they would be cool to have, depends on how much bass the lcd-2 have. i want something with really deep bass that works good for rap music with alot of hard hitting bass and also for like dnb and some dubstep. the pro 900s have midbass, but less subbass and it isn't as good sounding as i want it to be.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #17,020 of 42,298

Quote:
wow. all black it looks sooo cool!!!! must sound really good too!

so in response to the previous questions.

my wa2 arrives sometime today! 

yes, i plan on reviewing and posting my WA2 impressions, even comparing them to my WA6SE!

i ordered my tungsol 5998s from here http://tejastubes.com/Poweroutputvacuumaudiotubes.htm

and my check hasn't came in yet 
mad.gif
. looks like it got sent to my apartment instead despite me changing the mailing address on my paperwork. that just means i have to wait longer to get my T1 and LCD-2 than what i thought. 

also i think im adding d-2000 and hd 600s to my shopping list....well maybe. they would be cool to have, depends on how much bass the lcd-2 have. i want something with really deep bass that works good for rap music with alot of hard hitting bass and also for like dnb and some dubstep. the pro 900s have midbass, but less subbass and it isn't as good sounding as i want it to be.

Thanks, Dubstep Girl. In Jan/Feb we gonna put some Black Spikes underneath the Special Edition (sharp!) to sit on the Maple block. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Currently in-session with Blues great Snooks Eaglin (New Orleans). So good, I almost forgot about breakfast! The D2000' are a high value can; BIG Bang for the buck. Isn't the HD600 close in sound to its sibling (HD650)? Haven't heard either, so I'm asking...

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #17,021 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks, Dubstep Girl. In Jan/Feb we gonna put some Black Spikes underneath the Special Edition (sharp!) to sit on the Maple block. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Currently in-session with Blues great Snooks Eaglin (New Orleans). So good, I almost forgot about breakfast! The D2000' are a high value can; BIG Bang for the buck. Isn't the HD600 close in sound to its sibling (HD650)? Haven't heard either, so I'm asking...

yeah but it'd be cool to have lol. and i want the d2000 as well as the lcd-2 for the nice deep full bass. only the hd 650 has been able to provide that and i feel that its still lacking at times. 

i don't want overpowered, but i want full bass like the kind u hear with speakers. it just envelops and supports the rest of the sound while retaining its texture, detail, and depth.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #17,022 of 42,298

Quote:
yeah but it'd be cool to have lol. and i want the d2000 as well as the lcd-2 for the nice deep full bass. only the hd 650 has been able to provide that and i feel that its still lacking at times. 

i don't want overpowered, but i want full bass like the kind u hear with speakers. it just envelops and supports the rest of the sound while retaining its texture, detail, and depth.

Ooh, I love depth... especially when filled with audio goodness like detail, decay and texture. And other stuff to be sure. 
wink.gif
  Uh-oh, sunrise... I'm out like Barnabus Collins!

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #17,024 of 42,298
Interesting, could you please describe scratchy/not properly playback?

I am using PC (up to 24bit/96kHz - WASAPI Event - Vista) ->usb->DAC1 PRE (calibrated output)->WA5 with excellent results. WASAPI Event brought clarity to the playback.

Thank you very much.

Quote:
im going back to this jriver question that got resolved then unresolved and perhaps the wrong place for it but you guys are smart.

so my WASAPI (Event) won't play 24/96 properly with my DLIII
however winamp plays it fine.
jriver plays it all scratchy and distorted

Quote:
I use ASIO or WASAPI (normal, non event) through Jriver with a W4S DAC2 without incident, WASAPI (Event) does not play back properly for me either with highres files (24/96 - 24/192), for what that's worth.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #17,025 of 42,298
I have no experience using them, but I've heard they are cheaper atlernatives that do not sound as good.  I think they are common for folks to throw in guitar amps who don't care much about the sound and are seeking reliability and longevity.

Quote:
Has anyone ever used Drop in Solid State Rectifiers. I've been googling compatibility lists for the WA2, came across this.
http://thetubestore.com/wb-wca4.html
Googling the details in pic turned up the manufacturer.
http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html

I'm intrigued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back