Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 15, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #16,771 of 42,298

Quote:
how well would the WA6 handle the LCD2/3s?

should do a pretty good job at either one of them. i know the WA6SE has more power, but the WA6 isn't a bad choice either. im gonna buy LCD-2s for my WA6SE. i'm gonna guess the WA6 will be more than enough for them considering people power them with much more inferior amps.

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #16,772 of 42,298

Quote:
should do a pretty good job at either one of them. i know the WA6SE has more power, but the WA6 isn't a bad choice either.

Thanks just hoping to get a unit future-proof (from my end..) as possible.. I'd like to get my hands on the LCDs as my next headphone upgrade.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #16,773 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks just hoping to get a unit future-proof (from my end..) as possible.. I'd like to get my hands on the LCDs as my next headphone upgrade.

i'm sure u'll be ok with them. gonna get myself some LCD-2s in the next couple weeks once my next 2 paychecks arrive.
i like your choice of headphones. the HD 650, d7000 and lcd-2 all sound very similar. u should sell your d7000 once you get the lcd-2 since many people say the lcd-2 is better than the d7000 in basically every aspect. u can get some extra cash that way.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #16,774 of 42,298

Quote:

If you don't listen loudly you should be fine.  It is clipping I would be wary of, though I'm sure the LCD-2 is tough enough to shrug it off anyway.  If you listen to orchestral at something close to immersion levels then the amp will struggle on the big notes, especially anything with big bass or sudden changes in dynamics.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #16,775 of 42,298

Quote:
What you'll need is your serial number...

thats it?!?!?
if so thats awesome.

also noob question.
how do you calculate output voltage?
for instance if my amp is 310 mW at 32 ohs.
how do i calculate the vrms?

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #16,776 of 42,298

Quote:
thats it?!?!?
if so thats awesome.

That I can't tell you. But this is how they keep track of the unit whether single owner or transfer. My experience comes from W4S, so you may want to call/write to confirm exactly what you need from PS Audio. They both care about their customers so you shouldn't have any problems in the future with repairs.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #16,777 of 42,298
Wow, this thread flies... I waited a day or so to reply to this and it was buried wayyyy back... sorry for the delay.

When I say it's warm I mean it only in a very subtle sense.  It's a bit smoother than something that generally is considered a bit more analytical and cold like the Benchmark.  To my ears, these are pretty subtle differences.  The Stello still produces some very accurate and detailed sound, but you might find things rolling off slightly at the high end...  And yes, the sound of your system is the sum of the parts, so a slightly warmer DAC can add to an already warm tube amp sound.  That said, I think the 6SE is not a very tubey sounding amp (although you can select some tubes to lean in that direction if you like that sound), so using something like the DA100 isn't going to let you down by being too slow and lacking detail. 

Quote:

Does what you are saying about Stello DA100 mean it is not neutral, but more warmish? Does that make the whole setup with a tube amp even warmer?

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #16,778 of 42,298
There is certainly a lot of support for going 6SN7 with the 6SE.  I thought I'd throw out that there are still a few of us who haven't gone down that road (yet) and we're finding good results with other options. 

Instead of getting the 6SN7 adapters I opted for the 6DN7 adapter.  I've been pretty pleased with the results, especially with the HE5-LE. 

I also acquired the 6EM7adapters from Jack but honestly I've not been able to give them much head time except for a brief audition when they arrived... which seemed promising.  It reminds me that I need to get them back in the amp!

And of course I'm still a fan of the good old Sylvania fat bottle black plate 6FD7's!  
deadhorse.gif

I've also recently started listening to more rectifiers since getting a 5Z3 to 5U4 adapter.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #16,779 of 42,298

Quote:
i'm sure u'll be ok with them. gonna get myself some LCD-2s in the next couple weeks once my next 2 paychecks arrive.
i like your choice of headphones. the HD 650, d7000 and lcd-2 all sound very similar. u should sell your d7000 once you get the lcd-2 since many people say the lcd-2 is better than the d7000 in basically every aspect. u can get some extra cash that way.

Yea I'd likely get rid of one of my phones after I get the LCDs, but I think I'll wait a while until another upgrade.. The Woos set me back already haha.

Quote:
If you don't listen loudly you should be fine.  It is clipping I would be wary of, though I'm sure the LCD-2 is tough enough to shrug it off anyway.  If you listen to orchestral at something close to immersion levels then the amp will struggle on the big notes, especially anything with big bass or sudden changes in dynamics.

Definitely don't listen to music too loud, so hopefully i'll be ok. wouldn't higher output power tubes resolve some of the clipping issues?

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #16,780 of 42,298

Quote:

Fascinating. The HD650, D7000 and LCD-2 all sounding very similar... yes, fascinating indeed. I can't speak to the Senn's. But with the remaining two cans, I would kindly disagree. And oh, how I listened. And listened night in and night out because it was fun to with the two cans. And into the next the month because I could.

But with how I hear, my ability to hear and my preferences for what I want to hear simply returned no similarities. Doesn't mean that others would agree with me. But this is my post 
biggrin.gif
 and they didn't.

I also disagree (and strongly) with Herd Mentality - how about individuals going with what they like? Rather than what others are saying or doing and especially The Flav of the Month thang! Sell the D7000..... since many people say..... the LCD-2 is better in basically every aspect??!!! I've but one question in response, "On what day?!"

I ask, because inside this listening room that wasn't the story at all, listening to both cans on the WA 6 Special Edition and the Pioneer SX-650 - the D7000's stayed comfortably in their number one position. 
wink.gif
 For me, the LCD-2 is fun, alluring and promising. Would make a great second can for me. So engaging, I never wanted to take them off. Though it has its strengths, it often left me wanting... and waiting... only to come up short.

I would simply like to encourage members to listen. It's o.k. to take opinions into account, but also take the time to listen...

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #16,781 of 42,298

Quote:
Wow, this thread flies... I waited a day or so to reply to this and it was buried wayyyy back... sorry for the delay.

When I say it's warm I mean it only in a very subtle sense.  It's a bit smoother than something that generally is considered a bit more analytical and cold like the Benchmark.  To my ears, these are pretty subtle differences.  The Stello still produces some very accurate and detailed sound, but you might find things rolling off slightly at the high end...  And yes, the sound of your system is the sum of the parts, so a slightly warmer DAC can add to an already warm tube amp sound.  That said, I think the 6SE is not a very tubey sounding amp (although you can select some tubes to lean in that direction if you like that sound), so using something like the DA100 isn't going to let you down by being too slow and lacking detail. 

x2.

Some had concerns for me when I paired an MHDT Labs Balanced Havana DAC with my WA 6 Special Edition. But because the Woo isn't tubey, the DAC provided me with just a hint of warmth and magic. 
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #16,782 of 42,298

Quote:
There is certainly a lot of support for going 6SN7 with the 6SE.  I thought I'd throw out that there are still a few of us who haven't gone down that road (yet) and we're finding good results with other options. 

Instead of getting the 6SN7 adapters I opted for the 6DN7 adapter.  I've been pretty pleased with the results, especially with the HE5-LE. 

I also acquired the 6EM7adapters from Jack but honestly I've not been able to give them much head time except for a brief audition when they arrived... which seemed promising.  It reminds me that I need to get them back in the amp!

And of course I'm still a fan of the good old Sylvania fat bottle black plate 6FD7's!  
deadhorse.gif

I've also recently started listening to more rectifiers since getting a 5Z3 to 5U4 adapter.

The Monster Power Pro 2500 is down-the-street! I'm replacing it with the APC H10 AV 1kVA "H" Type Power Conditioner; arrives Wednesday (I hope). I know we have a meet coming up in February. But if I like what I hear by Mid-January, I'll bring my entire rig to your place or meet you fully set up inside the library. And we both know, if I end up seeing Clayton next month, I need only to bring my cans. 
dt880smile.png

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #16,783 of 42,298
Well unfortunately I have an older WA6 that cannot run the 6SN7 adapters I received today. The 6F8Gs, as you saw earlier fit great because the adapter tapers down, whereas the 6SN7 adapters do not.

Good news for someone else is that I have a set of Glenn's adapters and literally NOS Sylvania Chrome Domes I was planning on running. Good thing for me is that the 6F8G driver will do the job for now.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #16,785 of 42,298
Hello fellow Woo owners. (Tube novice here). Is there anyone here who uses D5000 (or D7000) with the WA6?
Which drive/power tubes would suit the Denons?
I've just bought a pair of 7N7 (and a Sophia Princess) from Jack. I've read that the 7N7 is a bit on the bright side. Are the D5000s considered as bright aswell? So bright + bright = extra bright?

(semi-off-topic, just adding a photo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back