Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #16,516 of 42,298

Quote:
Did I miss something?  Looks to be only the underside of the Woo.  I want to see the candy inside those metal boxes!

confused.gif
 When I click on it I see no less than 13 thumbnails of gorgeous internal shots to be enlarged, here's but a sample:

Dec 7, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #16,517 of 42,298

Quote:
Did I miss something?  Looks to be only the underside of the Woo.  I want to see the candy inside those metal boxes!

The metal boxes are potted inside. If you look at the internals you can see from the bottom of those metal boxes that they are filled with something like wax and the wires are coming out of the it and into the amp--and from where they go only Jack and savvy techs know.

The lids on the boxes are sealed and some of the "wax" has seeped out and solidified. I wouldn't want to remove the lids. The solid ooze looks harmless and cool. Oozing, music boxes.

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #16,521 of 42,298

Quote:
The metal boxes are potted inside. If you look at the internals you can see from the bottom of those metal boxes that they are filled with something like wax and the wires are coming out of the it and into the amp--and from where they go only Jack and savvy techs know.

The lids on the boxes are sealed and some of the "wax" has seeped out and solidified. I wouldn't want to remove the lids. The solid ooze looks harmless and cool. Oozing, music boxes.

So in essence it is a secret as to what is inside them?  I thought maybe there were transformers or something in them.  I mean there are four of them what could possibly be inside them?   

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #16,523 of 42,298

Quote:
So in essence it is a secret as to what is inside them?  I thought maybe there were transformers or something in them.  I mean there are four of them what could possibly be inside them?   

They contain transformer potting compound. Buried in each of those boxes are transformers. (Could you pot chokes as well?--I don't know.)

Here is a 6moons review on Woo Audio. Fascinating, isn't it? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wooaudio/5_2.html

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #16,526 of 42,298
Quote:
About a year ago I asked Jack if he could build me a WA4 and he said that it was a discontinued model but that he had some parts available to build one more unit but he had to locate them. Later this year when I was in Amsterdam he emailed me and said that he had found enough parts to build two more WA4s and that I could have one of them if I was still interested. I said YES! So he started the build in August of this year and I got a brand spanking new WA4 this last October. It is a completely new build! Thank you, Jack.

http://gallery.me.com/claytonjuan#100419

IMO no offense, but the WA4 that you received look liked very DIY looking and/or an amp that was begun at the first few years of Woo.

Quote:
Clayton SF said:
They contain transformer potting compound. Buried in each of those boxes are transformers. (Could you pot chokes as well?--I don't know.)

Here is a 6moons review on Woo Audio. Fascinating, isn't it? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wooaudio/5_2.html

Very cool, nice find ill be reading it!

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #16,528 of 42,298

Quote:
IMO no offense, but the WA4 that you received look liked very DIY looking and/or an amp that was begun at the first few years of Woo.

None taken. I am not an expert nor am I a novice at point-to-point wiring. I can't tell what looks like DIY and what doesn't. But here's another one of my amps that I've open up. It is not a Woo. It is by a very reputable amp maker also located in the U.S. What is your opinion on their point-to-point wiring skills?

BTW, this amp sounds incredible.

(Click on it for a bigger image.)

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #16,529 of 42,298
Quote:
None taken. I am not an expert nor am I a novice at point-to-point wiring. I can't tell what looks like DIY and what doesn't. But here's another one of my amps that I've open up. It is not a Woo. It is by a very reputable amp maker also located in the U.S. What is your opinion on their point-to-point wiring skills?

BTW, this amp sounds incredible.

I see what your getting at
biggrin.gif
As far as my Woo statement went, i had meant the physical appearance of it, and not the soldering of it. Sorry if i didn't make my self clear (no pun intended)

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #16,530 of 42,298
Well I missed my flight this morning, so I've got to spend some time today with my WA6. Picked up The Black Keys' new album "El Camino" and I am digging it!

After some extended listening time I have a few initial impressions (Maxxed version w/Sophia Princess/GE 6DE7):

This thing is silent. Absolutely no noise from the amp/tubes. The volume control is spot on, and offers really great adjustment. I came from a Little Dot MK III, which was downright noisy in comparison.

Build quality is pretty amazing also, this thing is heavy to move around between my systems. It is a bit more "Titanium" colored than silver compared my Rega and Jolida gear. With the SP, it barely squeezes inside my shelf on my welded Target stand. Of course the glow of the SP is stunning, I've always had a thing for the old edison light bulbs!

The sound profile is by no means tubey to my ears. I listen to a heavily modified EL34 based amp that you can tell is running EL34s, the Woo doesn't have the mid-range sweetness. It does have a very true and wonderful sound for stringed instruments and the piano.

The downsides I'm having could be attributed to my Senn HD650s (or driver tubes). One of the weakest areas is the condensed sound stage, I feel like its smaller than other amps I've listened to. The upper frequencies are a bit slow (cymbals) and bright at times. Bass drums in particular aren't well pronounced, I'm not hearing the intimate detail I'm used to hearing over my B&W and Rega speakers. Not that I'm having any remorse, but I could see myself pulling the trigger on a SE if it came up. The LCD-2s would be my next can of choice, it doesn't seem like I'll have many options can wise using this amp? Correct me if I'm wrong here, I know the 800s and the T1s would work?

I'm sure a lot more can be brought out by rolling those driver tubes. I've acquired sets of 6SN7 and 6F8G adapters. I have a set of "chrome dome" 6SN7s and a set of Tung-Sol BGRPs to throw in there when they arrive! I feel like this will make the most amount of difference when it comes down to the short-comings I've listed. I also have a EML 54UG coming my way, so I'll have some great tube rolling options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back