Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #15,616 of 42,298

Quote:
think my little wa3 has the balls to drive the T50rp?
im thinking about picking up a pair of them or D2000s while im "saving" up a few more bucks for the WA2 purchase

isn't the WA3 better suited for higher impedance headphones?

same thing with WA2

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #15,617 of 42,298
yes.
but the 3 does ok with my shures.
but can't do the 770 32 ohm at all.

but it seems like so many nice cans are low imp. 

have you heard the 880 600?  theres a few pairs on the classifieds for good prices.  may pick up a pair of those, but im worried they will sound almost exactly like my 990s

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #15,618 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Listen to Mike...the man knows of what he speaks.
biggrin.gif

W4S Dac-2 + WA22 (balanced) = WOW.

Are you going to be moving on to the Liquid fire?    Let me know if...
very_evil_smiley.gif

ZoomButt.gif

You are bad!

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #15,619 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
A lot of people on the board have a W4S DAC2 as do I and I love mine.  I was able to audition it at the same time as the Bryston DAC and even though Stereophile gave that DAC their product of the year award and the reviewer bought his review sample, I found the W4S DAC to be more musical than the Bryston.  My aha moment came when listening to Frank Sinatra.  On the Bryston, everything was clear and tonally correct, but when listening through the W4S the emotion in Frank's voice was more clearly conveyed.  I talked to Ed Sargento at W4S about that he he told me that they pay great attention to micro dynamics.

Also, I found out that if you set the min volume to 0 and max volume to 70 and set the output to 60 you'll have the cleanest signal.

Once you put a balanced signal into the WA22, you'll at least double your sonic goodness.

Listen to Mike...the man knows of what he speaks.
biggrin.gif

W4S Dac-2 + WA22 (balanced) = WOW.

I think you have double the equipment I have, so if anyone knows anything, it's you!

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #15,620 of 42,298

Quote:
yes.
but the 3 does ok with my shures.
but can't do the 770 32 ohm at all.

but it seems like so many nice cans are low imp. 

have you heard the 880 600?  theres a few pairs on the classifieds for good prices.  may pick up a pair of those, but im worried they will sound almost exactly like my 990s

the 880s are supposed to sound nothingl ike the 990s...

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #15,621 of 42,298
Well now that I have the LCD-3's, along with a headphone cable from DHC and a P5 (upgrade from PPP)  all on there way to me, I can compare my Liquid Fire and WA5LE using the new LCD-3's. I have compared my Liquid Fire and WA5LE using my HE6's/DHC, the Liquid Fire wins.

And yes I am also very happy with my W4S Dac1 with upgraded caps, didn't need the better USB or the volume control.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #15,622 of 42,298

Quote:
the 880s are supposed to sound nothingl ike the 990s...

hmm.  interesting.  i've heard it both ways.  if they do sound very different that may be the route i want to go then.  i like every beyer i've ever heard.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #15,623 of 42,298

Quote:
Well now that I have the LCD-3's, along with a headphone cable from DHC and a P5 (upgrade from PPP)  all on there way to me, I can compare my Liquid Fire and WA5LE using the new LCD-3's. I have compared my Liquid Fire and WA5LE using my HE6's/DHC, the Liquid Fire wins.

And yes I am also very happy with my W4S Dac1 with upgraded caps, didn't need the better USB or the volume control.

x2

W4S DAC-1 with upgraded caps...

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #15,624 of 42,298

Quote:
Since you have all the kit (and then some!!) that I do, how would you say the WA22 stacks up the Lyr in terms of an upgrade?
Icing on the cake type upgrade, or big game changing move... or something between them?

FWIW, the W4S has been a rollercoaster since I got home.... diggin it, but it's a changin.

Your Shoe box ( can't help it, when I look at the W4S DACs I keep thinking about shoe boxes) is goin' to need 300 hours at minimum and 500 hours to be seated comfortably by Row & Section number. So, count on at least 300...
popcorn.gif

For a time, my W4S DAC was ALL over the street!

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #15,625 of 42,298

Quote:
hmm.  interesting.  i've heard it both ways.  if they do sound very different that may be the route i want to go then.  i like every beyer i've ever heard.

well they sound beyerish, but unlike the dt 990s, they're supposed to be neutral sounding, similar to k701 and hd 600s. 

imagine a k701 with less soundstage and more bass or an hd 650s thats more engaging and less-laid back while maintaining a similar sound signature.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #15,626 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the concern, SilentOne.  I've yet to try and clean them.. nervous about the sandpaper idea.  However, upon inspection of the pins it's like there's a little chip off one or two of them.  Not completely broken off but some metal is displaced.. it's hard to describe.  Maybe that's the issue?  I don't have much time to devote to Head-Fi / listening so I apologize for the delayed response.  As for the Teflon sockets, yes, I believe I do have them (it's the model that was made stock with PDPS so I'm assuming the Teflon was included).

I understand your schedule. You could always upload a digital pix for the thread's review (when you've the chance, of course!).
popcorn.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #15,628 of 42,298

Quote:

SS, am interested in your take on the 3 as opposed to the 2.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #15,629 of 42,298
I have a 6SE being delivered today <yay!>.  I think I read somewhere that tube amps could be susceptible to interference from radio sources.  That said, I have a couple of WiFi access points and 3 computers with wifi and bluetooth in my office.  Do I need to worry about this with my 6SE?  If so, how far from these EMI sources should I keep it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back