Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #15,211 of 42,298

Quote:
Just noticed there is static noise with the 596, if I touch the wire, it will fade but will return and also goes up with volume.

Perhaps positioning the wires to be further away from the transformers would help?  I know the wires for 6F8G adapters can pick up hum when too close to the rectifier, but in this case the tube in question IS the rectifier so other parts of the power supply would be most suspect.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #15,212 of 42,298
this wa3 is my first tube amp and ive got a quick tube and tube amp care question. 
if i am going to listen to it over a 6 hour period off and on, say for 3 hours or so then take a break for an hour, and then listen to it again for an hour or two, should i turn it off, or leave it on?

does it make a difference either way really or is it a wash?

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #15,213 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes, I take issues with the walled gardens as well. Once I'm able to accomplish what I want to do (circumventing) then it becomes moot... until the next round.

I've never understood the Walled Garden comments about Apple.  Maybe someone can give me a brief explanation.

You only get to do what they want you to do because you are using their hardware and software.  The pick the standards they want to support and you are limited by it.  For example, you can only play 44/16 (or 48/16) rez files on an iPod, however most music software out there supports resolutions up to 192/24.  You can only use the apple file format, not any of the others.  So stuff like that is why people call it a walled garden.  Once you get in, you can only go where they allow you to go.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #15,214 of 42,298

Quote:
this wa3 is my first tube amp and ive got a quick tube and tube amp care question. 
if i am going to listen to it over a 6 hour period off and on, say for 3 hours or so then take a break for an hour, and then listen to it again for an hour or two, should i turn it off, or leave it on?

does it make a difference either way really or is it a wash?

In my opinion, you'll enjoy longevity with both either way. But would need to address two questions first: Do you need to abandon the amp during the suggested break (never abandon your tube amp while powered up)?  And what's your position on energy conservation (it's a Class A amp)?

No, not trying to change other's ways, but merely putting it out for thought. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #15,215 of 42,298

Quote:
You only get to do what they want you to do because you are using their hardware and software.  The pick the standards they want to support and you are limited by it.  For example, you can only play 44/16 (or 48/16) rez files on an iPod, however most music software out there supports resolutions up to 192/24.  You can only use the apple file format, not any of the others.  So stuff like that is why people call it a walled garden.  Once you get in, you can only go where they allow you to go.

See I wouldn't know that since I've never used an iPod.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #15,217 of 42,298

Probably you have a problem with electricity.

Quote:
Just got my WA6-SE yesterday.  I've listened to it as it is burning in and I must say after twelve hours it is much better than when I first turned it on.  Just noticed some static in the left channel that appeared and disappeared, but came back a few minutes later.  Is this normal to expect from a driver/ power tube (says Sylvania EREU on the side and is my 6DE7 left channel) as it burns in?  I'm switching channels to make sure the noise follows.  This is my first tube amp, so I'm not really sure of what to expect.

Nov 3, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #15,218 of 42,298

Quote:
I have a Linux based server, but know others who have had wonderful success with running the Squeezebox Server on Windows.  It also works well on a Mac.

+1. I have SqueezeBox server running on my DIY Widows 7 pro box. I'm streaming flac music files and it's fast as fast can be.

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #15,219 of 42,298

LOST:  Big white 16 month old cat. Silver engraved collar reads "Mac OS X." Fun & playful. Answers to the name "Snow Leopard."

My overnight session was mainly spent troubleshooting, sampling and trying new things (only to put everything back). To conclude the session, I played Thelonious Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" in its entirety... simply stunning! My entire room is crackling with electricity. I made friends again with Snow Leopard, Amarra and the big bad '596' high-sidin' atop my Woo, This track swings! If you ain't heard it before, or not in a very long time, no better time to do so than Thursday.  
biggrin.gif

Will highlight some of the differences between OS's over the weekend that my Woo was able to flush out.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #15,220 of 42,298

Quote:
Perhaps positioning the wires to be further away from the transformers would help?  I know the wires for 6F8G adapters can pick up hum when too close to the rectifier, but in this case the tube in question IS the rectifier so other parts of the power supply would be most suspect.

That is what I think too but there isn't room to move the wire, I will try my other 596 tonight.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #15,221 of 42,298

Quote:

LOST:  Big white 16 month old cat. Silver engraved collar reads "Mac OS X." Fun & playful. Answers to the name "Snow Leopard."

My overnight session was mainly spent troubleshooting, sampling and trying new things (only to put everything back). To conclude the session, I played Thelonious Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" in its entirety... simply stunning! My entire room is crackling with electricity. I made friends again with Snow Leopard, Amarra and the big bad '596' high-sidin' atop my Woo, This track swings! If you ain't heard it before, or not in a very long time, no better time to do so than Thursday.  
biggrin.gif

Will highlight some of the differences between OS's over the weekend that my Woo was able to flush out.

Forgive me for being naive, but how can an OS change the difference in sound quality?  Is this only an Apple issue (I run Windows 7)?

And in regards to my previous inquiry regarding a static sound, it hasn't returned since I swapped tubes, so thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll try to clean the pins if it happens again.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #15,222 of 42,298

Quote:

I had a similar probelm with my 6F8G to 6SN7 adaptes from Woo. The wire is very thin and not shielded. In my WA5-LE ther are very close to the 300B tubes and they were inducting noise. I wrap the wires in one layer of aluminim foil and the problem was resolved.
I let Jack know about the issue then I talked to him at RMAF.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #15,223 of 42,298

Quote:
 I had a similar probelm with my 6F8G to 6SN7 adaptes from Woo. The wire is very thin and not shielded. In my WA5-LE ther are very close to the 300B tubes and they were inducting noise. I wrap the wires in one layer of aluminim foil and the problem was resolved.
I let Jack know about the issue then I talked to him at RMAF.

Good to know, I will try the aluminum foil trick on both adapters.  My other 596 has the same static noise.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #15,224 of 42,298

Quote:

It's pretty much a wash.  The greatest wear sustained by electronics is powering on and off, this is a bit greater with tubes.  It is hard on tube equipment to power cycle without sufficient cool down, but an hour is enough.  If I remained around I would leave it on.
Quote:
My overnight session was mainly spent troubleshooting, sampling and trying new things (only to put everything back).

I am sorry to hear this remained such a headache for you. 

Quote:
And in regards to my previous inquiry regarding a static sound, it hasn't returned since I swapped tubes, so thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll try to clean the pins if it happens again.

Excellent!  It is possible that taking the tubes in out cleaned things up a bit.  Once in a while tubes are squirrely.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #15,225 of 42,298

Quote:
In my opinion, you'll enjoy longevity with both either way. But would need to address two questions first: Do you need to abandon the amp during the suggested break (never abandon your tube amp while powered up)?  And what's your position on energy conservation (it's a Class A amp)?

No, not trying to change other's ways, but merely putting it out for thought. 
wink_face.gif

Good point. When we get the electricity bill the city shows a chart of our electricity use against the average of our neighbors. Between my amps and my desktop computer (which has a 1000w power supply) we are always twice the average. I'm surprised Al Gore hasn't busted down my front door
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back