Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 2, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #15,196 of 42,298

Quote:
SilentOne, I'm within probably a few hours of buying a WA6 SE, and I'm wondering what your opinion of the amp is. I currently have a solid state amp and I know the wa6se isn't really tubey sounding compared to the wa2, but wondering if you have experience with other amps and how the wa6se sounds in comparison. (ie. semi warm, big bass impact, bigger sound stage, etc.) I just want to make sure I'm making the right purchase.  Thanks

I saw in your other thread that you're coming from a KICAS Caliente... if you like that sound signature but want something more powerful and versatile, then the WA6SE would be a nice choice. You'll notice bass that's improved in both quantity and control, as well as better soundstage and imaging. The WA6SE vs. WA2 thing just comes down to a matter of preference... the 6 is more dynamic, while the 2 is more euphonic (to use Jack Woo's term). Both work great with a wide range of cans. I liked Grados and Denons slightly more on the 6, and Beyers and my LCD-2 better on the 2, but none of them were found to be incompatible with either amp.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #15,197 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Apple's small walled gardens, both software and architecture.  But I appreciate others derive comfort from this. 

It is another of those preferences silly to argue about. :)

Sometimes, I take issues with the walled gardens as well. Once I'm able to accomplish what I want to do (circumventing) then it becomes moot... until the next round.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #15,198 of 42,298

Quote:
I saw in your other thread that you're coming from a KICAS Caliente... if you like that sound signature but want something more powerful and versatile, then the WA6SE would be a nice choice. You'll notice bass that's improved in both quantity and control, as well as better soundstage and imaging. The WA6SE vs. WA2 thing just comes down to a matter of preference... the 6 is more dynamic, while the 2 is more euphonic (to use Jack Woo's term). Both work great with a wide range of cans. I liked Grados and Denons slightly more on the 6, and Beyers and my LCD-2 better on the 2, but none of them were found to be incompatible with either amp.

Olias of Sunhillow, dons snow shoes... steps out and steps in to save day... they're dancing in the streets at the 'Unite' thread!
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #15,200 of 42,298

Quote:
Olias of Sunhillow, dons snow shoes... steps out and steps in to save day... they're dancing in the streets at the 'Unite' thread!
beerchug.gif

Another 11 inches of snow last night, my friend... and winter (or, as I like to call it, "Woo Season") is still 7 weeks away!

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #15,202 of 42,298

Quote:
Odd.  At 105 dB/mW  sensitivity and 82 ohms they should be easy to drive.  They are a tad more sensitive than the HD 650.

I agree it makes no sense on paper.  But I should clarify I don't mean hard to drive in terms of getting volume.  I mean hard to drive in terms of achieving potential (and decent bass, which takes nothing short of witch craft and black magic with this headphone).  I'm pretty darn loud by 12 noon on the volume pot with the WA6, but the tepid dynamics and bass impact is what tells me the phones are not getting the type of current they really want.  It sounds very nice, don't get me wrong.  No shortage of detail, but they have always come off as a little sleepy sounding to me on this amp. The K701 has quite the reputation when it comes to amp demands.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #15,204 of 42,298

Quote:
Just the opposite here for me in the desert.  The intense heat of the desert has subsided and now I can go out doors again until June.  

Yes indeed... a fine time to be in the Sonoran Desert. We'd hoped to make a return trip to Organ Pipe Cactus this winter, but it doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #15,205 of 42,298

Quote:
I agree it makes no sense on paper.  But I should clarify I don't mean hard to drive in terms of getting volume.  I mean hard to drive in terms of achieving potential (and decent bass, which takes nothing short of witch craft and black magic with this headphone).  I'm pretty darn loud by 12 noon on the volume pot with the WA6, but the tepid dynamics and bass impact is what tells me the phones are not getting the type of current they really want.  It sounds very nice, don't get me wrong.  No shortage of detail, but they have always come off as a little sleepy sounding to me on this amp. The K701 has quite the reputation when it comes to amp demands.

Intriguing. I particularly appreciate your comments as I just borrowed the K701 from a friend to try them out.  He bought them when the first rave reviews hit.  I briefly tried them then and hated the sound.  Given how many like them I am eager to give them a more fair chance.  I have multiple tube and SS amps so I should have something they will like.

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #15,207 of 42,298
Just got my WA6-SE yesterday.  I've listened to it as it is burning in and I must say after twelve hours it is much better than when I first turned it on.  Just noticed some static in the left channel that appeared and disappeared, but came back a few minutes later.  Is this normal to expect from a driver/ power tube (says Sylvania EREU on the side and is my 6DE7 left channel) as it burns in?  I'm switching channels to make sure the noise follows.  This is my first tube amp, so I'm not really sure of what to expect.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #15,208 of 42,298

Quote:
SilentOne, I'm within probably a few hours of buying a WA6 SE, and I'm wondering what your opinion of the amp is. I currently have a solid state amp and I know the wa6se isn't really tubey sounding compared to the wa2, but wondering if you have experience with other amps and how the wa6se sounds in comparison. (ie. semi warm, big bass impact, bigger sound stage, etc.) I just want to make sure I'm making the right purchase.  Thanks

What are your prime headphones that you want to power?

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #15,209 of 42,298

Quote:
Just got my WA6-SE yesterday.  I've listened to it as it is burning in and I must say after twelve hours it is much better than when I first turned it on.  Just noticed some static in the left channel that appeared and disappeared, but came back a few minutes later.  Is this normal to expect from a driver/ power tube (says Sylvania EREU on the side and is my 6DE7 left channel) as it burns in?  I'm switching channels to make sure the noise follows.  This is my first tube amp, so I'm not really sure of what to expect.

First, congratulations on a fine build!

This is not normal but can and does happen. Did you swap tubes from L>R or R>L to see if the static follows? Also, you'll wanna isolate the amp from its source to determine the origin of static.
popcorn.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #15,210 of 42,298

Quote:
Just noticed some static in the left channel that appeared and disappeared, but came back a few minutes later.  Is this normal to expect from a driver/ power tube (says Sylvania EREU on the side and is my 6DE7 left channel) as it burns in?  I'm switching channels to make sure the noise follows..

Sometimes a tube needs to burn-in.  Also a less than perfect connection can cause noise.  Try cleaning the tube pins.  A bit of fine sandpaper and quick wipe with alcohol can perform wonders.

While tempting, don't tap a tube to listen to it while it is installed and hot.  This is hard on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back