Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #14,597 of 42,298
Hi, everyone!

I recently bought a used WA6SE MAXXED. Maybe I'm just attracted by its looking and the tube... But what makes me sad is that the WA6se seems "not working" on my system... My system now is PC->optical cable->Marantz SA8004->WA6se->Denon D7000. While the SA8004 has phoneout. The problem is I can hardly hear any audible difference between SA8004->D7000 and SA8004->WA6se->D7000. I mean there is some difference, but too small for WA6se I think, considering the price...

Can anybody answer me? My friend told me that Rudi will be a best choice for SA8004, but I just like WA6se very much.

By the way, my WA6se is using 274B and sylvania 6EW7 pairs

Thanks!!!

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #14,598 of 42,298
i'm considering buying a WA2 in the future, i want to know how big of a difference it is between the WA6SE and the WA2. i want the wa2 cause people say it has the typical tube sound but i dunno how different it is from the WA6SE

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #14,599 of 42,298

Quote:
i'm considering buying a WA2 in the future, i want to know how big of a difference it is between the WA6SE and the WA2. i want the wa2 cause people say it has the typical tube sound but i dunno how different it is from the WA6SE

wink_face.gif
  While you wait...

...to hear from former and current owners who may have owned both; heard both, I'm almost certain (I am) that the "Search" function will return impressions and shootouts from just this past summer alone.

And for fun, you can have a look at Woo Audio's site and how they describe the differences among their offerings:

http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #14,600 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi, everyone!

I recently bought a used WA6SE MAXXED. Maybe I'm just attracted by its looking and the tube... But what makes me sad is that the WA6se seems "not working" on my system... My system now is PC->optical cable->Marantz SA8004->WA6se->Denon D7000. While the SA8004 has phoneout. The problem is I can hardly hear any audible difference between SA8004->D7000 and SA8004->WA6se->D7000. I mean there is some difference, but too small for WA6se I think, considering the price...

Can anybody answer me? My friend told me that Rudi will be a best choice for SA8004, but I just like WA6se very much.

Thanks!!!

Enhancement or power output? Also, unsure at this writing how you're set up on the PC - Software player; your output selection (kernel streaming, WASAPI, ASIO...).
popcorn.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #14,601 of 42,298

Quote:
wink_face.gif
  While you wait...

...to hear from former and current owners who may have owned both; heard both, I'm almost certain (I am) that the "Search" function will return impressions and shootouts from just this past summer alone.

And for fun, you can have a look at Woo Audio's site and how they describe the differences among their offerings:

http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

it would be nicer to have peoples opinions though since woo only tells me WA6SE = more dynamic and WA2 is more euphonic and everything else is the same. Also, WA6SE has more power output. Plus the WA2 looks like a really cute amp.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #14,602 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi, everyone!

Thanks!!!

Not surprise you don't heard much difference on D7000, they are very easy to drive.  You should be able to heard a different signature with Woo over just the headphone out.  When I had my D7000, there isn't much difference between my Denon 5805 and WA22 but there definitely difference on signature, details, and soundstage.  Try a pair of HD6x0 and you will notice a lot of difference between your Marantz and WA6SE.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #14,603 of 42,298

Quote:
it would be nicer to have peoples opinions though since woo only tells me WA6SE = more dynamic and WA2 is more euphonic and everything else is the same. Also, WA6SE has more power output. Plus the WA2 looks like a really cute amp.

Looking at your signature, it will be a better upgrade to WA22 instead WA2.  WA2 does not do well with Grado.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #14,604 of 42,298

Quote:

Yes, it would, which is why I pointed out (mentioned) the recent write ups on WA2 vs WA6SE. The link was just for fun (thought I mentioned that, but...). 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #14,605 of 42,298

Quote:
Looking at your signature, it will be a better upgrade to WA22 instead WA2.  WA2 does not do well with Grado.

somewhere on the forums i read that the WA22 is only for balanced and if you use the regular unbalanced connection it has, its about the same as the WA6SE and a maxed WA6SE would be slightly better than the unbalanced output of the WA22. that according to Jack Woo himself.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #14,606 of 42,298

Quote:
somewhere on the forums i read that the WA22 is only for balanced and if you use the regular unbalanced connection it has, its about the same as the WA6SE and a maxed WA6SE would be slightly better than the unbalanced output of the WA22. that according to Jack Woo himself.

yes, that is true.  i was sticking with my maxxed wa6 until i got my pwd before getting wa22.  balanced source is required for wa22, not an option.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #14,608 of 42,298
what about save up for WA5 in the long run or something like that, i would get the more expensive kind because i plan on trying to get K1000's in the future. not only for sound quality, but i think they are the most stylish headphones ever made. they're just cool looking.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #14,609 of 42,298

Quote:

The Woo description is correct.

As an OTL amp the WA2 is better with timbre, texture.  The WA6SE is punchier and is better with macro dynamics.  It also has more bass control as it has a lower output impedance.  As a counter, the WA2 conveys dynamic expression through both volume differences, but also by more richly portraying the timbre changes as an instrument changes volume (more a different harmonics are present in an acoustic instrument and voice as dynamics increase.)

If you listen to unamplified acoustic instruments and voice recorded in a natural acoustic space I predict you would luxuriate in the sound of a good OTL amp.  If you prefer pop, rock and dubstep :) you will likely prefer the WA6SE for its energy and bass control. 

Naturally, if you listen to both you need both.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #14,610 of 42,298

Quote:
The Woo description is correct.

As an OTL amp the WA2 is better with timbre, texture.  The WA6SE is punchier and is better with macro dynamics.  It also has more bass control as it has a lower output impedance.  As a counter, the WA2 conveys dynamic expression through both volume differences, but also by more richly portraying the timbre changes as an instrument changes volume (more a different harmonics are present in an acoustic instrument and voice as dynamics increase.)

If you listen to unamplified acoustic instruments and voice recorded in a natural acoustic space I predict you would luxuriate in the sound of a good OTL amp.  If you prefer pop, rock and dubstep :) you will likely prefer the WA6SE for its energy and bass control. 

Naturally, if you listen to both you need both.

that's what i'm thinking, i might  just buy the WA2 later in the future, right now i just got the WA6SE not too long ago, so I won't just yet :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back