Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 4, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #14,267 of 42,298
Thanks, I just checked the tube compatibility chart on the woo website, my 6SE is shipped after 4/17/10 so i can use the 6FD7. I actually did get the RCA 6FD7 from ebay but they are not the fat bottle type and they didn't sound as good as the 6EM7. could it be because of the skinny bottle or it's not sylvania? so is the Mullard  GZ34/37 a better rectifier for prog rock than sophia princess or the EML 5u4g? Thanks again

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #14,268 of 42,298

Quote:
I just received some of these last week and haven't had a chance to make a adapter or listen to them. Going to to try to use pin plug jacks for the anode connections that I am going to order tomorrow. I will let you know how this tube works out at the end of the week. With the problems people are having with their rectifiers I am trying to find one that will hold up and sound good and a bonus you can get these tubes for $15.

Thanks to Glenn's adapter I am able to use the 596 tube with my WA22 and Taboo amps. This tube sounds incredible. It is a very organic sounding 5U4 variant. I used it on my WA22 with surprising results--it sounds incredible. The bass is well defined and deep that I had to try it out on my speaker system--the Decware Taboo. I am loving every minute and it is barely 4 hours old! And nary a hot transformer be had amongst them both.

It not only sounds organic, it looks organic too--like it's connected to a giant Jack and the Beanstalk shoot. :)
Now back to listening!!!

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #14,269 of 42,298
Wow, Clayton, that rectifier is a tank.  Hearing about the positive results with these unknown tubes makes me wonder why amp designers don't try to seek out gems like this more often.  It would solve the tube price issue for a while too.

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #14,270 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks to Glenn's adapter I am able to use the 596 tube with my WA22 and Taboo amps. This tube sounds incredible. It is a very organic sounding 5U4 variant. I used it on my WA22 with surprising results--it sounds incredible. The bass is well defined and deep that I had to try it out on my speaker system--the Decware Taboo. I am loving every minute and it is barely 4 hours old! And nary a hot transformer be had amongst them both.

It not only sounds organic, it looks organic too--like it's connected to a giant Jack and the Beanstalk shoot. :)
Now back to listening!!!

Looking more and more like a scientific laboratory environment in The City.  
biggrin.gif
  Fascinating! 

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #14,272 of 42,298

Quote:
It's October--time for you to visit The City, yes?

That's right... be right over (will see what your mid-month calendar looks like)! Given the choices I face, I may have to do a "Mini-series" and sample your collection of candy a little bit once a month.  
rolleyes.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #14,273 of 42,298

The '596' has me intrigued. May have to get an adapter from Glenn and check it out! Your Bass definition prompts me. By chance, were you able to get out and see shipsupt this past Sunday?

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #14,274 of 42,298
Couldn't make it.

Check with Glenn first to see if the base of the adapter with its two protruding wires used to connect to the top anode connections can fit in your WA6SE's rabbit hole.

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #14,275 of 42,298

Quote:
Couldn't make it.

Check with Glenn first to see if the base of the adapter with its two protruding wires used to connect to the top anode connections can fit in your WA6SE's rabbit hole.

Just sent him a message to check his progress. Failed to mention that as I wasn't aware. But when he gets back to me, I'll be prepared. I like the looks as much as the described sound!

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #14,276 of 42,298

Quote:

Now back to listening!!!

Awesome!

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #14,277 of 42,298

Quote:

Now back to listening!!!

Wow, that looks incredible Clayton. Those 596 tubes, is there only one variant? I see the one sold on ebay but it's unbranded and looks like the same construction as the one you have installed. I think I'm gonna need to pick up a pair of those for my Taboo as well. :)

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #14,278 of 42,298

Quote:
Woohoo, new tubes getting here sometime this week.  Might be a minor gripe, but you guys think Jack will ship matched pairs if I didn't specify?

I would be surprised if he doesn't.

Quote:
Hey guys, and Aloha.  Back from Hawaii and finally digging into missed threads.  There have been so many posts over the past three weeks, I don't even know where to begin.  So, I guess I'll just fire up the WA22, continue to burn in Glenn's mods, and work my way through the hundreds of posts I missed.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Aloha backatcha!

Quote:
"There have been so many posts over the past three weeks..."

This ought to make you feel better about a missed weekend, grokit! 
biggrin.gif
  Welcome back, mikemalter! You're really going to need to refill that coffee bowl while catching up.

Hopefully he brought back some nice Kona beans.

Quote:
Looking more and more like a scientific laboratory environment in The City.  
biggrin.gif
  Fascinating! 

I was thinking along the lines of
 or 

Quote:
The '596' has me intrigued. May have to get an adapter from Glenn and check it out! Your Bass definition prompts me.

I need another rectifier like I need another hole in my head, but X2.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #14,279 of 42,298
When I had my WA22, my wife exclaimed "it looks like some sort of science project!" and it was not a compliment!  This would have put her over the edge..................

Quote:

Now back to listening!!!

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #14,280 of 42,298
^^^ I tell my friends (if I have any left) that it's an ionizer from the 1950s. It charges the room with positive ions. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back