Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #14,251 of 42,298

Quote:
Along with Skylab, your tube knowledge is truly encyclopedic and I have always enjoy digesting the content of your posts herein. When I looked up the 5931 they were straight bottles, but the 5U4G seems to come in both straight and hourglass shapes; could you elaborate on that when you get a chance?

This is where my knowledge falters too.  As far as I know the glass type doesn't have any effect on the tube's sound.  The straight glass is usually the later 5U4GB style.  However, you see two very distinct types of plates on the straight glass tubes and I haven't really figured out why.  I thought the plates were type specific with the 5U4G having the t-plates and the 5U4GB having the cross type plate , but I'm pretty sure I've seen both plate types inside tubes of both designations.  A lot of people don't realize they are not actually the exact same tube, the electrical specs are slightly different.

Honestly I still consider myself somewhat of a tube newbie.  I just absorb knowledge like a sponge when I become interested in something, which is how I've gone from clueless to only semi-clueness in this last year on this subject. 
biggrin.gif
  I definitely don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with Rob when it comes to tube knowledge.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #14,252 of 42,298
The "G" always indicates the "coke-bottle" style glass envelope, as in 6AS7G, 5U4G, etc. "GT" indicates the small straight bottle, like 6SN7GT, etc. Some tubes, like the 5Y3, came both ways - there is a 5Y3G and a 5Y3GT, 6V6G and 6V6GT, etc. The 5U4GB is the straight-bottle 5U4, but it is not the GT size of course, it's larger. Similarly the 6AS7GA is straight bottle, as is the 5998A, 6550A. But the "A" and "B" usually stand for design revisions where there was an "improvement" in specs, although quite typically the general consensus now is very often that the older tubes sund better.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #14,253 of 42,298
Without a doubt! Love her voice, love her acting. My Woo gets fed a steady 200+ track diet of Karen Mok. Do you have, listen and/or like any of her material? Was it a well run show and did you enjoy your time there? It's Sunday night, a shared photo or two would be nice.

Some of it yes. I like to listen to some Bondy Chiu, Denise Ho or Bianca Wu. For a new show, it was fairly well organized, I expect next year to be even better with more manufacturers showing up and more vendors. Admission wasn't too bad, paid $12 for a student pass that was valid all three days. Didn't take many photos, here are a few I thought were worthy:

img0845f.jpg

img0846ri.jpg

img0849k.jpg

img0851y.jpg

img0852k.jpg

img0848zw.jpg

That is an iPhone 4 in the last photo being held up to one of the thickest power cables I've ever seen in my life. The Focal's sounded really good, too bad I can only afford about 1/20th of it.

Brendan

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #14,254 of 42,298

Quote:
Some of it yes. I like to listen to some Bondy Chiu, Denise Ho or Bianca Wu. For a new show, it was fairly well organized, I expect next year to be even better with more manufacturers showing up and more vendors. Admission wasn't too bad, paid $12 for a student pass that was valid all three days. Didn't take many photos, here are a few I thought were worthy:
img0845f.jpg

img0846ri.jpg

img0849k.jpg

img0851y.jpg

img0852k.jpg

img0848zw.jpg

That is an iPhone 4 in the last photo being held up to one of the thickest power cables I've ever seen in my life. The Focal's sounded really good, too bad I can only afford about 1/20th of it.
Brendan

Talk about industrial strength, that power cable is huge! Gotta hear it someday. I was just thinking about making some outrigger spikes to place underneath my Woo this past summer. Never got around to it. Might have to see what odds/ends I can pick up soon at Lowe's/Home Depot. Thanks for sharing new artists - it will be fun and fascinating looking up Bondy Chiu, Denise Ho, Bianca Wu, Patricia Barber and Karen Mok later this week (Wait! How did Karen sneak onto that list?!
rolleyes.gif
).

And thanks for sharing your photographs with all of us!

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #14,255 of 42,298

Quote:

I bet you'll never leave us even you're Wooless because so much fun here.
biggrin.gif
 And by the way you will be back again with some up-grade Woo's amp very soon, good luck all the way.
beerchug.gif

No way! I was with you (as a reader) when you started this thread and I sought more information about these Woo Audio amps I'd never heard of. Upon seeing seeing pix from you and others, it was love at first sight! And reading the exchanges you all were having simply made me crave more, so I began to save for a WA6. After filling the tea tins for about a year I finally drew close to the purchase amount. 

No sooner than I reached my goal, I wanted more! So, I began to save a few more months to buy the WA 6 Special Edition. At this point, any more time passing by while saving up and I would have passed out!!!  
dt880smile.png
    I had to have this strange but beautiful looking vacuum tube head amplifier. So, after all of this, I ain't leaving!

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #14,256 of 42,298
just placed my order for a WA6SE with sofia princess 274B rectifier upgrade  and 6EW7 power tube upgrades, can't wait to get it!

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #14,257 of 42,298

Quote:
Good to know. After reading the current conversation in the recent purchase pic thread I was thinking that your sketch would make a great tattoo.

To make a real story real short, I actually sketched the Tomcatters logo back in 1989, when fax machines ruled... no commercial internet! I was working as a Trade Assistant at a brokerage firm and literally sent hundreds of faxes to Bond dealers, Brokers and other liaisons. And always followed up on a second telephone "You get my fax?!" 

I needed a quick way to distinguish my faxes from the pack! And then I thought about all the coffee table books I had with photos of Military Aircraft... and that's when it hit me! I sought permission from the firm to personalize my fax cover sheet. The newly designed cover sheet had the firm's small logo and "From the desk of..." on the very top. And just below on the right-side of the page I placed a 3"x3" logo of Felix carrying a bomb with a caption "Better read it quick!"

It was a hit among both my department and the various firms and parties I dealt with. I was able to always get the quickest confirmations and replies of anyone in the firm after that - it made things visually easier for the recipients to find among a sea of white papers. I'm quite sure that if I had a sketch or silhouette of my WA6 SE, I would have accomplished the same thing. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #14,258 of 42,298

Quote:
just placed my order for a WA6SE with sofia princess 274B rectifier upgrade  and 6EW7 power tube upgrades, can't wait to get it!

OHHHHH, you could have had my WA6SE!!!! Congrats on your purchase, Dubstep Girl! Will you be able to take delivery before Thanksgiving Holiday? I hope Woo Audio is able to push it out the door before Halloween.
beerchug.gif

A shot of my one-time Sophia Princess at night (click for larger image):

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #14,259 of 42,298
Thanks for weighing in Xcaliber, here's to your absorbent qualities
beerchug.gif

Now here is some great info to sop up:

Quote:
The "G" always indicates the "coke-bottle" style glass envelope, as in 6AS7G, 5U4G, etc. "GT" indicates the small straight bottle, like 6SN7GT, etc. Some tubes, like the 5Y3, came both ways - there is a 5Y3G and a 5Y3GT, 6V6G and 6V6GT, etc. The 5U4GB is the straight-bottle 5U4, but it is not the GT size of course, it's larger. Similarly the 6AS7GA is straight bottle, as is the 5998A, 6550A. But the "A" and "B" usually stand for design revisions where there was an "improvement" in specs, although quite typically the general consensus now is very often that the older tubes sund better.

Thanks again Rob, you are truly the master teacher regarding Woo tubes around these parts. The straight bottle version that came up in my eBay search were indeed 5U4GB, the other 10 listings were hourglass-shaped. It always sounds simple when you explain these details so clearly.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #14,261 of 42,298
I feel the STAX SR-009 actually fits the Woo aesthetic pretty well.  At least in pictures anyway; I'm not rice enough to afford an SR-009, much less a WES...  My WA6-SE is ordered though, so at least that's something!

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #14,263 of 42,298
Hey guys, and Aloha.  Back from Hawaii and finally digging into missed threads.  There have been so many posts over the past three weeks, I don't even know where to begin.  So, I guess I'll just fire up the WA22, continue to burn in Glenn's mods, and work my way through the hundreds of posts I missed.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #14,264 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey guys, and Aloha.  Back from Hawaii and finally digging into missed threads.  There have been so many posts over the past three weeks, I don't even know where to begin.  So, I guess I'll just fire up the WA22, continue to burn in Glenn's mods, and work my way through the hundreds of posts I missed.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

"There have been so many posts over the past three weeks..."

This ought to make you feel better about a missed weekend, grokit! 
biggrin.gif
  Welcome back, mikemalter! You're really going to need to refill that coffee bowl while catching up.

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #14,265 of 42,298
Hi, I'm new to head fi. Recently I bought a WA 6SE to drive my LCD-2, the tubes that I'm using are 6EM7 and the Sophia princess rectifier tubes. May I know if there are other tubes that will better match progressive rock music other than the 6EM7? Also is there a specific manufacturer that I should look into? My current setup is Macbook pro => Channel Island VDA 2 => WA 6SE => LCD2. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back