Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #13,351 of 42,298
Anxiously anticipating what you will think of your new Woo sound.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #13,352 of 42,298

Quote:
Did Glenn check the Mobile Tracking option for you?

Silent One
tel. 310. XXX. XXXX

biggrin.gif

Lost me on that one.  Ok, I'll bite, what is a mobile tracking option?  Did you want me to call you?

Quote:
So it was *your* amp he was modding!  Lucky. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, it should be back sometime tomorrow.  After I listen and take a few pictures, I'll post a description of what he did.

Quote:
Mike: What is Glenn's opinion on the new Woo sound? Hot, cold, dry, wet, liquid, solid? Chemistry Class!

He likes them.  And, given their weather over there the past few days, decidedly dry!

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #13,353 of 42,298

Quote:
Lost me on that one.  Ok, I'll bite, what is a mobile tracking option?  Did you want me to call you?

Yeah, it should be back sometime tomorrow.  After I listen and take a few pictures, I'll post a description of what he did.

He likes them.  And, given their weather over there the past few days, decidedly dry!

Mobile tracking options ~

You ever track your goodies on your computer for FedEx-UPS-USPS-DHL and others? Alerts get sent to your mobile if offered - Out for delivery; Delivered at (Time of day). I'd put down the L.A. Times and pick up the iPhone "Ah ha!" before you marched upstairs.

No worries, no Front-running, I'll wait with the rest of the class...
popcorn.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #13,354 of 42,298

Quote:

LOL. Well well well well (a dry, well well well well). There's something about caps that remind me of dynamite. In a good way. Sticks of power! Have fun! Alright, potluck soon. Well amp potluck that is. A Potluck Amp Meet. My Liquid Fire is now past 150 hours of burn-in time and I am ready to dive in. To sacrifice my audio soul to the Liquid Fire, Audio God, Volcano of Sound. And speaking of volcanoes--you'll be in Hawaii soon. Have fun. And have your wife take a picture of you sitting in your window seat with your headphones and portable amp. Aloha!

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #13,355 of 42,298

Quote:
The upper mids should settle on the EML with some more time.  I didn't feel they really "got there" with mine until I was well past 100 hours.  Any issues with midrange glare or hardness should go away by the 150 hour mark.  Their presentation becomes even deeper after the transition too.  :)

Wow really?  Hmm, I was thinking of reselling it.  Guess I need to use it for a few weeks, but honestly it's quite far from the sound I was hoping for.  Same with my amp as well, only have maybe 50 hours on it of re-breaking-in the blackgates.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #13,356 of 42,298

Quote:
Just a quick note on a recent production EML 5u4g mesh vs. EML 274b solid (old production, no longer available) - These tubes sound quite a bit different.  The 274b is more spacious, 3d, and smooth sounding but slightly diffuse/slow relative to the other tubes.  Overall it has the most speaker-like and natural presentation and as such is my favorite.  The EML 5u4g mesh sounds closer to the Sophia Princess 274b mesh - I might prefer the Sophia actually, as I seem to get a little too much upper mids w/ the EML.  That said the EML has few hours on it and perhaps it needs more break-in, but I'm pretty sure the EML 274b solid is my fav regardless.  

Sigh, sometimes your posts make my head turn because I don't really know what advice to follow: on page 871 SilentOne says that for him EML 5U4G is better than Sophia Princess, now bobeau says that for him 5U4G has a sound very similar to the Sophia and than the old EML 274 Solid is the better of the three (anyone have heard the new production of EML 274? How it sounds?).
Now I have the Sophia Princess and in my system, with the other tubes I currently use (TS BGRP as driver and WE 421A as power tubes) sounds very well but I haven't heard the EML and I really don't know if buying one of them (and which one, Solid or Mesh?) or no.
I strongly believe that every unit (source, ampli, cans, etc) sounds different on every audio system because it depends also how good (or excellent) are the other components of the system.
I have nearly finished the break-in of my new Naim 555 and now my WA22 sounds really excellent and this surely because it receives a nearly perfect flow of energy from Naim and it helps WA22 to perform at his best. Maybe on other systems it can't reach his full potential yet.
For the end of september, if you like, I will put some pics of my audio system and a full review of how sounds my WA22 on all kinds of music that I like (classical, jazz, folk, rock, hard rock, brasilian) etc..

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #13,357 of 42,298

Quote:
Sigh, sometimes your posts make my head turn because I don't really know what advice to follow: on page 871 SilentOne says that for him EML 5U4G is better than Sophia Princess, now bobeau says that for him 5U4G has a sound very similar to the Sophia and than the old EML 274 Solid is the better of the three (anyone have heard the new production of EML 274? How it sounds?).
Now I have the Sophia Princess and in my system, with the other tubes I currently use (TS BGRP as driver and WE 421A as power tubes) sounds very well but I haven't heard the EML and I really don't know if buying one of them (and which one, Solid or Mesh?) or no.
I strongly believe that every unit (source, ampli, cans, etc) sounds different on every audio system because it depends also how good (or excellent) are the other components of the system.
I have nearly finished the break-in of my new Naim 555 and now my WA22 sounds really excellent and this surely because it receives a nearly perfect flow of energy from Naim and it helps WA22 to perform at his best. Maybe on other systems it can't reach his full potential yet.
For the end of september, if you like, I will put some pics of my audio system and a full review of how sounds my WA22 on all kinds of music that I like (classical, jazz, folk, rock, hard rock, brasilian) etc..

Great! Looking forward to your contribution...

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #13,358 of 42,298

Quote:

Nothing is absolute in this hobby it all depends on the interactions and synergy of the different elements in you audio chain but mostly in your taste of sound. There is nothing like trying by yourself.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #13,362 of 42,298

Quote:

I'm right there with you... I searched this entire thread and read as much as I could find on these tubes, and for better or worse had a specific impression already formed in my mind before hearing any of them.

Basically, at least in my system, the solid plate lived up to the hype, the Sophia is better than I expected, and the 5u4g falls a bit short.  To clarify my expectations on the 5u4g, I was hoping it would give nearly the depth/realism (the *magic*) of the solid plate but with a more precise sound and a touch tighter bottom - my expectations were pretty high, I was hoping to prefer it overall.  But the 5u4g is the only new tube and I am going to put in some time in to give it a fair shot.  These are just my personal initial impressions, others have different equipment, preferences, etc, and time may certainly change things.  I'll be sure to report back.

EDIT: not sure if this matters, but the old EML274b solid is a _huge_ tube.  I measures rights at 7" from pins to top of glass.  Probably has about 25% more volume than the EML 5u4g.  The Sophia might be a touch smaller than the 5u4g, perhaps more, clearly quite a bit shorter and wider.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #13,363 of 42,298
Wow, how old is your Sophia? Few thousand hours? I know they darken with use over time but.. I've never seen anything like that.

Quote:
I'm right there with you... I searched this entire thread and read as much as I could find on these tubes, and for better or worse had a specific impression already formed in my mind before hearing any of them.

Basically, at least in my system, the solid plate lived up to the hype, the Sophia is better than I expected, and the 5u4g falls a bit short.  To clarify my expectations on the 5u4g, I was hoping it would give nearly the depth/realism (the *magic*) of the solid plate but with a more precise sound and a touch tighter bottom - my expectations were pretty high, I was hoping to prefer it overall.  But the 5u4g is the only new tube and I am going to put in some time in to give it a fair shot.  These are just my personal initial impressions, others have different equipment, preferences, etc, and time may certainly change things.  I'll be sure to report back.

EDIT: not sure if this matters, but the old EML274b solid is a _huge_ tube.  I measures rights at 7" from pins to top of glass.  Probably has about 25% more volume than the EML 5u4g.  The Sophia might be a touch smaller than the 5u4g, perhaps more, clearly quite a bit shorter and wider.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #13,364 of 42,298
Quote:
Wow, how old is your Sophia? Few thousand hours? I know they darken with use over time but.. I've never seen anything like that.

It's not nearly as dark in person as it looks in the photo, but it does appear the glass is evenly tinted all over.  

It came with the amp I purchased from SillySally which I believe he bought sometime in early 2k9, so at least a couple years old.  I believe he mentioned it has fairly low number of hours (ie. less than a few hundred) as he moved onto using EML tubes after so many months.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #13,365 of 42,298
Ok, here are a few snaps, the battery in my Nikon died, so these are all I have until it's recharged.

First, no black gates, they were not available and Glenn says that a lot of the musicians he voices guitar amps for ask for a different type of capicator.  I'm a little rushed now, so here are a few pictures and then later today I'll get into the details.  Glenn, if you read this, please feel free to add more technical details of what you did and what points to what.

Old bones.

New switch and wireing to break connection and seperate balanced and single ended outputs.

More pictures and comments later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back