Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 23, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #13,081 of 42,298

Quote:
Not at all, just curious that he doesn't advertise the service! It certainly would have saved me the trouble of trying to figure out where to buy tubes. One stop shopping!

Yeah, the only way to know is to stay plugged into this thread.  There is a lot going on in here.  Check out some of the past posts for really valuable insight into tube rolling, where to buy tubes and just about everything that can be done to make your Woo sound better.  I have learned a ton of stuff and met some very nice people since hanging out here for the past year. 

Jack is not always the cheapest price, but I like using him as I have built a relationship with him.  There are other really good tube dealers that others really like here as well.

Just post a question, and someone will usually chime in with an answer.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #13,082 of 42,298

Quote:
Not at all, just curious that he doesn't advertise the service! It certainly would have saved me the trouble of trying to figure out where to buy tubes. One stop shopping!

Even the 'Silent One' knows when to speak up!  
deadhorse.gif

Whether it's a restaurant, audio boutique or any other business with menu options, I'd encourage you to "ask" if you don't see something posted. The great thing about making inquiries is that it may return additional knowledge about your interests. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #13,084 of 42,298

Quote:
Yesterday I received a package with Duende tube rings for all my tubes in WA5. Another curtain disappeared. Sound became crystal clear and more laid back at the same time. Instruments became more visible.
blink.gif

spagetka, this is great to hear! As I was a bit hesitant when we were all discussing 'rings' in this space last month. Now I'm feeling encouraged...
popcorn.gif

Can you post a pix when you've the chance? Thanks!

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #13,085 of 42,298

Quote:
Rob, that's great that the WA22 can change so much with a tube change...now I just see 2 issues...

1.) Finding a pair of matched tubes.
2.) Spending the big $$$ for a pair of matched tubes.

Music is such an emotionally driven exprience that often times the pricetag simply doesn't factor in, but even having said that the logical part of my brain just screams the notion that diminishing returns must be kicking in pretty strongly when it comes to the B65 tubes.  I can't imagine they are enough of an improvement over the best sylvanias and tung sols to justify a pricetag as big as that of the amp they would go in.

Of course if I were rich I'd still buy some. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #13,086 of 42,298

Quote:
Music is such an emotionally driven exprience that often times the pricetag simply doesn't factor in, but even having said that the logical part of my brain just screams the notion that diminishing returns must be kicking in pretty strongly when it comes to the B65 tubes.  I can't imagine they are enough of an improvement over the best sylvanias and tung sols to justify a pricetag as big as that of the amp they would go in.

biggrin.gif

x2

Just when I thought I was done looking at them for the night... (sigh)

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #13,087 of 42,298

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Well guys, I am just having a nervous breakdown! It is very nice to read this forum and to partecipate to some discussions, but sometimes it drives me really mad (sorry if it is not the right English word). Here I am: in this last period I have spent a large amount of money (no, I am not a rich Russian guy, I am only an average Italian guy that has inherited from his dear late mummy some thousands of Euros) to reach music Nirvana: Naim 555 as source (and at the end of August it will arrive his second power supply!), excellent interconnect and power cables, the mighty WA22, Senn HD 800 (all fully balanced) and as tubes WE421A, TS BG RP (for a matched pair I have spent almost 500,00 euros on Ebay) and Sophia Princess mesh plate. Well I think that my audio system is really excellent and that my WA22 and my Senn are shining thanks to the superb Naim source but then...I read that our "tubemeister" Skylab says that a couple of "cheap" Osram B 65 are the best driver tubes he has ever heard on WA22 (but did you listen yet to TS BG RP or no, Skylab?) and that for some EML 5U4G is better than Sophia and for some others is better Sophia than EML  and so I don't understand anything at all. What can I do now? To spend all that sum to get (if they are always available that is) the Osram B 65, to buy the EML 5U4G and make personal comparison with Sophia Princess? Or what else? Our hobby is wonderful but it can really drives crazy a poor guy! Your "wise" advice is highly needed! Thanks.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #13,088 of 42,298

Quote:

Well guys, I am just having a nervous breakdown! It is very nice to read this forum and to partecipate to some discussions, but sometimes it drives me really mad (sorry if it is not the right English word). Here I am: in this last period I have spent a large amount of money (no, I am not a rich Russian guy, I am only an average Italian guy that has inherited from his dear late mummy some thousands of Euros) to reach music Nirvana: Naim 555 as source (and at the end of August it will arrive his second power supply!), excellent interconnect and power cables, the mighty WA22, Senn HD 800 (all fully balanced) and as tubes WE421A, TS BG RP (for a matched pair I have spent almost 500,00 euros on Ebay) and Sophia Princess mesh plate. Well I think that my audio system is really excellent and that my WA22 and my Senn are shining thanks to the superb Naim source but then...I read that our "tubemeister" Skylab says that a couple of "cheap" Osram B 65 are the best driver tubes he has ever heard on WA22 (but did you listen yet to TS BG RP or no, Skylab?) and that for some EML 5U4G is better than Sophia and for some others is better Sophia than EML  and so I don't understand anything at all. What can I do now? To spend all that sum to get (if they are always available that is) the Osram B 65, to buy the EML 5U4G and make personal comparison with Sophia Princess? Or what else? Our hobby is wonderful but it can really drives crazy a poor guy! Your "wise" advice is highly needed! Thanks.

I think you should take a break from agonizing over individual parts and start enjoying the actual music. You have some fantastic gear right there, better than what most others will ever have, and I can tell you it sounds great. Musical "Nirvana", as you seek it, will never come as long as you're not at peace while giving it a tranquil listen.

Back on topic, I have both the Sophia, and the EML rectifiers. To my ears, the EML offers a more intimate presentation, and, while I prefer it, the Princess is no slouch either. I haven't listened to the B65s, but at $1.5k a pair I'm not sure I can justify it, given the law of diminishing returns over the TS BGRP I have.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #13,089 of 42,298
LUMAZ look closer to home for some nice tubes, no need to spend a fortune.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #13,090 of 42,298
^ That's why I stopped tube rolling. I would spend the $1400 on a new amp (ss or tube) and/or new headphones.
biggrin.gif

Bye the way. I took some inventory on the Dutch people who are wearing headphones on the street this afternoon. I stopped after 2 minutes. Too many to count--but these were noteworthy. This is just a quick tally 'cause I didn't recognize the model types:

5 Fostex (don't know the model #)
1 Grado (black)
1 Philips (white and cool looking--and the biggest)
2 Beats
20 unclassified.

That's all folks.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #13,091 of 42,298

Quote:
Yesterday I received a package with Duende tube rings for all my tubes in WA5. Another curtain disappeared. Sound became crystal clear and more laid back at the same time. Instruments became more visible.
blink.gif

Well, for this kind of things my high end retailer (and friend) is very honest and competent. I have asked him for some tube rings to put on my TS BG RP and instead of selling me his "branded" tube rings (at the price of about 35 euros for a couple) he took me at an electrician's shop and he made me buy some simple rubber rings (0,90 for a couple!) because, in his opinion, they give the same improvement in SQ of the most expensive branded rings and this is absolutely true!
Now he has just lend me a sort of table to put under my WA22. It is made of two black panels and between the two panels there are four springs: when I turn them counterclockwise the two panels bears off and I get more high and midrange frequencies, on the contrary when I turn clockwise, the two panels approaches each other and I get more bass frequencies. Also this "table" get rid of all eventual microphonic noise that my tubes can produce. A very useful addition to my system if I may say (but I don't know yet how much is his price!)

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #13,092 of 42,298

Quote:
blink.gif

I have a couple of pairs of GEC 6AS7G's and one of the pairs is crystal clear and the other I think would benefit from a pair of tube rings.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #13,093 of 42,298

Quote:
Rob, that's great that the WA22 can change so much with a tube change...now I just see 2 issues...

1.) Finding a pair of matched tubes.
2.) Spending the big $$$ for a pair of matched tubes.

Jack doesn't call the WA22 his "most euphonic tube amp" for nothing. I believe he uses the term surreal.

Quote:

There are a lot of tubes that Rob will never hear with his WA22, unless he changes his stance on avoiding new issue tubes. The TS BG RP's are nice enough, but those Shuggie Treasures have their good points as well. A lot of this is personal preference, as well as how they play with the other tubes in the combo you're using. Your selected headphones are also important, as well as synergy with your source, playback software, and yes even cable selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUMAZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With the WA22 tube selection makes a huge (the hugest?) difference, and this can definitely be a double-edge sword as you are discovering! The down side is of course that one man's prime steak is another's ground chuck so you really have to discover your own preferences.

Quote:
LUMAZ look closer to home for some nice tubes, no need to spend a fortune.

X2, although for myself so far I haven't found a better combo for the WA22 than the upgraded package that Jack has selected for us right on the Woo website. Will be rolling in/comparing to the "other" EML mesh-plate rectifier soon.

Quote:
^ That's why I stopped tube rolling. I would spend the $1400 on a new amp (ss or tube) and/or new headphones.
biggrin.gif

Bye the way. I took some inventory on the Dutch people who are wearing headphones on the street this afternoon. I stopped after 2 minutes. Too many to count--but these were noteworthy. This is just a quick tally 'cause I didn't recognize the model types:

5 Fostex (don't know the model #)
1 Grado (black)
1 Philips (white and cool looking--and the biggest)
2 Beats
20 unclassified.

That's all folks.

^ This. I've spent more than that on various tubes for the WA22, and am happy that I've finally found a combination that works for me across the board. I have the tubes that I want now, and my backups are almost all in place. Simplification has been accomplished, the need to roll has been completely abated, and the search for further refinement is almost complete.

As far as observed headphones on the streets of Holland go, I'm happily surprised there weren't more Beats, perhaps they aren't marketed as heavily across the pond. The prevalence of the Fostex's are probably due to the club/DJ scene. I'm surprised there was only one Phillips that you recognized, as they are pretty much the Dutch national brand. What, no iBuds?!

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #13,094 of 42,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a couple of pairs of GEC 6AS7G's and one of the pairs is crystal clear and the other I think would benefit from a pair of tube rings.

Is there a continuous hum in that not-so-crystal-clear tube? Hi hum? Low Hum? Ho Hum?
Flying back tomorrow morning on Royal Dutch Airlines KLM #605. It will be good to return to my own Private Wooville.
It is storming here. Electrical storms. Strong winds.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #13,095 of 42,298

Quote:

Is there a continuous hum in that not-so-crystal-clear tube? Hi hum? Low Hum? Ho Hum?
Flying back tomorrow morning on Royal Dutch Airlines KLM #605. It will be good to return to my own Private Wooville.
It is storming here. Electrical storms. Strong winds.

It's not a hum as such, but I'd describe the one pair as too busy sounding.  The other pair I got from Skylab, and they are totally crystal clear.  I can even tap the amp and not hear it, but with the others, if I even type on my keyboard, I can hear it.

Glad to hear you're going to be back in town soon.  I have a surprise I'll have to tell you about when you get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back