Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 9, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #12,676 of 42,298
Quote: original posted by sillysally

(Anyway, my findings with my WA5LE and WE 300B's and the other tubes I use, is that it is all dependent on what you have feeding this Amp like what DAC/source you are using.)

I agree with you sillysally: people are saying that Senn HD-800 is a "cold and analytical can" and that bass range it is not up with, for example, LCD 2: Well I don't know the Audeze headphone but now that I am feeding my WA22 with the superb cdp Naim 555 I know that my ampli is so happy that sends a flow of hot energy into my HD-800 and that my can now has everything: a magical sound, hot and vibrant bass and it swings oh boy how it swings! It seems another can and maybe it is true that it is a princess and that it needs the very best to give us the best that has in store.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #12,677 of 42,298
Hello guys (I am here again but it is not my fault if at this hour you all are sleeping and I am the only one online!) 
Yesterday evening I was listening to Christian McBride's "Gettin' to it" a wonderful jazz CD of about 15 years ago. Well I found a perfect song to try an headphone, particularly for those of you that have a lot of cans. The song is called "Splanky".There are only three acoustic bass playing but how they play! I think that hearing this song in a headphone it is a heavenly experience: one bass in the left channel, one opposite in the right channel and another in the middle that pluck the h... out of the tune: Is there any better way to know if a can has an excellent bass range? I think not and I must say that my Senn HD-800 has brillianty pass this test! In some passages I clearly heard like if someone was knocking on my eardrums! Naturally to own an tube amply like our beloved WooAudio ampli helps immensely (to tell the truth also to have a Naim 555 cdp is not a bad choice!). So guys why don't you download (or rip or stream, I am a complete ignorant about liquid music!) this song and then you play with each and everyone of your beautiful cans and than let us know which one offers you, IYHO, the best reproduction of this take? Thanks in advance.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #12,678 of 42,298
Good morning, Citizens of Wooville!

On the explicit advice of Silent One I went to visit the Soundman--an audiologist. The result of one of yesterday's tests: He looked in both of my ears and found nothing.
eek.gif

Conclusion: Well I have normal hearing but he only tested me at 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz, 3000Hz, 4000 Hz, and 8000 Hz.

I asked him to go higher and he said NO.
frown.gif

TURN IT UP, BABY!
He said he only tested the speech frequencies--the most important range. Then asked me to repeat some words he spoke: Woo, Tube, Cash, Broke, Fun, More, Fun, New, Fun.

Anyway, my left ear is not as good as my right--I knew that.
I said I wanted to hear a dog whistle. Not a dog whistling, mind you, but a whistle that a dog can hear.
So now I can go back to my WA22 and armory of amps and know that if I wanted to hear what I'm missing on the left channel I need to switch the L/R IC cables. Darn--getting on in years is not fun. But at least I'm still normal--with my hearing at least.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #12,679 of 42,298
Last post of the day for me!
Guys, in your opinion, what are the principal differences between a solid state ampli and a tube ampli or to better phrase my thought, what are the ups and the downs of each of this kind of amplifiers?
I ask for your opinion because I have always thought that a ss ampli has better transient responses than a tube ampli but yesterday evening on listening to Christian McBride "Gettin' to it" CD, I was amazed (sorry if it is not the correct English word!) at how fast, superfast, was the transient' s answer. Incredible! I didn't think that my WA22 could reach an incredible level like this but I believe that much of this performance come from Naim 555 cdp because it is really a superfast source, able to give super fast (and precise) informations to the ampli connected. As a matter of fact, in these days, my WA22 is really smiling and it is very happy (like his proud owner!)
Thanks for today and see you tomorrow!
Have a nice day to all (me I am preparing for another great evening of musical pleasures! Ah music! What would it be life without music?).

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #12,680 of 42,298

biggrin.gif
 I follow you, Clayton. Woo, Tube, Cash, Broke, Fun, More, Fun, New, Fun. ...............................

I should have visit an audiologist, too. I have too much music enjoyment with my Woo, 3 to 4 hrs every night at least before go to sleep.  

Quote:
frown.gif

TURN IT UP, BABY!
He said he only tested the speech frequencies--the most important range. Then asked me to repeat some words he spoke: Woo, Tube, Cash, Broke, Fun, More, Fun, New, Fun.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #12,681 of 42,298

Quote:
Just to confirm, on my WA22 minimum volume is @ 6 0'clock.

Yes, I do think source voltage is one a possible difference. My owners manual has the following:
• Connectors: XLR gold-plated
• Level: 3Vrms (8.5Vpp)
• Impedance: 100 Ohms

My source has a digital volume control which I always keep locked down @ 100%.

FWIW, Jack told me via email that it is ok or normal to use the WA22 volume control past midpoint or 12 o'clock and beyond.

This is good to know, thank you.  I'm starting to listen to vinyl now and I have to turn my volume much higher and I was wondering if that was ok.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #12,682 of 42,298

Quote:

On the explicit advice of Silent One I went to visit the Soundman--an audiologist. The result of one of yesterday's tests: He looked in both of my ears and found nothing.
eek.gif

Conclusion: Well I have normal hearing but he only tested me at 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz, 3000Hz, 4000 Hz, and 8000 Hz.

frown.gif

TURN IT UP, BABY!

I said I wanted to hear a dog whistle. Not a dog whistling, mind you, but a whistle that a dog can hear.
So now I can go back to my WA22 and armory of amps and know that if I wanted to hear what I'm missing on the left channel I need to switch the L/R IC cables. Darn--getting on in years is not fun. But at least I'm still normal--with my hearing at least.

I like the words.

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #12,683 of 42,298

Quote:

eek.gif

frown.gif

TURN IT UP, BABY!

Well done, Clayton! Tonight, don't forget about Rachelle Farrell on your Upscale Audio Sampler for your WA22. As I commented about her before:

"I definitely have Rachelle Farrell in my library ("Welcome To My Love" - 1993) - she's got a 6+ Octave range and can sing in Whistler range. Dogs bark, Dolphins dance..." 
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #12,684 of 42,298

Quote:
Well done, Clayton! Tonight, don't forget about Rachelle Farrell on your Upscale Audio Sampler for your WA22. As I commented about her before:

"I definitely have Rachelle Farrell in my library ("Welcome To My Love" - 1993) - she's got a 6+ Octave range and can sing in Whistler range. Dogs bark, Dolphins dance..." 
wink_face.gif

Get this on from Rachel  "autumn Leaves" from her CD "First Instrument"

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #12,685 of 42,298

Quote:
Get this on from Rachel  "autumn Leaves" from her CD "First Instrument"

WarriorAnt! 

Masterful... simply masterful! That was the single best 10 minutes I spent on any recent Tuesday. She stirred my afternoon tea! (no worries, I have the AC on inside). I feel like I should gift you a vacuum tube. Will wait for your late summer purchase.
beerchug.gif

Hope Clayton gets a chance to see this! I'd love to see Rachelle perform live at an intimate smokey Jazz night club (sans the smoke) complete with hardwood floors, acoustics to die for and seating capacity of no more than 36!

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #12,686 of 42,298

Quote:
WarriorAnt! 

Masterful... simply masterful! That was the single best 10 minutes I spent on any recent Tuesday. She stirred my afternoon tea! (no worries, I have the AC on inside). I feel like I should gift you a vacuum tube. Will wait for your late summer purchase.
beerchug.gif

Hope Clayton gets a chance to see this! I'd love to see Rachelle perform live at an intimate smokey Jazz night club (sans the smoke) complete with hardwood floors, acoustics to die for and seating capacity of no more than 36!

My brain is telling me to get a Woo.  I had a dream last night I was back in NY and was interviewing Jack and someone else at Woo about his amps and his business. 

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #12,687 of 42,298

Quote:
My brain is telling me to get a Woo.  I had a dream last night I was back in NY and was interviewing Jack and someone else at Woo about his amps and his business. 

Analysis _____

You know, this could be a sign or a trace... or a receipt!  
dt880smile.png

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #12,688 of 42,298

Quote:
WarriorAnt! 
beerchug.gif

Thanks, gents. Great video. Great voice. I had never heard of her until I got that demo CD from Upscale Audio. You must come over to listen to the rest of the CD.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #12,689 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks, gents. Great video. Great voice. I had never heard of her until I got that demo CD from Upscale Audio. You must come over to listen to the rest of the CD.

I've got to hear the Frenchman from that CD on your '22'... Beta & Woo! Perhaps, when you recover from Jet lag.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #12,690 of 42,298
Here is another great voice that is really a GEM for audio reproduction.  Sorry to derail the thread but I feel it is my duty to post this tune for any living breathing Audiophile to enjoy.  To legally keep on topic, this is THE FIRST TUNE I'll listen on a Woo if I can get the courage to buy a tube amp...   PM me if you can't find this tune...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back