Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #12,631 of 42,298
Quote:
In my distant horizon, I can faintly make out the silhouette of what looks like a 300B tube amplifier... possibly a Woo Made in America amp. Eye strain, hard to tell.

It's probably a silhouette of me on the horizon after eating a few pizzas in Lucca. Yes. Do you know which meet Jack Wu will be at next? Something in October happening, I think. October is always out of my grasp for any travel away from work because my employer's tri-year Docket to the trustees is due then.

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #12,632 of 42,298
Just a question out of sheer curiosity to all Woo owners (and good morning to you all!).
For how long can you listen to music with a can on your head without a pause? (that is apart from go to the bathroom or things like this!). And if you have more than an headphone (I have only my Senn HD-800) which one is the less fatiguing for your ears? Generally speaking, after 3 listening's hours (or slightly more) I am becoming tired and my ears begin to feel less clearly than at the beginning so I must stop (my volume level with my WA22 is, more or less at 11 but it depends also from the QA of every CD's that I put in my Naim 555).

P.S. In the weekend, since I have had little time to hear music, I put on the IsoTek break-in and demagnetizing CD (without turn on my WA22) to make work my new Naim 555, and after 10 hours's workout now things are getting better for my system!

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #12,633 of 42,298
Currently I listen to music usually 1 complete CD at a time. Then I listen to the speaker system for another CD and then back to the headphones. So I would say I listen to headphones about 70 minutes at a time and no longer. It is because I need to move around as well or my butt will fall asleep before my ears. :wink:

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #12,634 of 42,298

Quote:
Good Morning Woo Owners! **yawn**

It is Monday morning and I go to the Audiologist this morning at 9.00 to make sure my ears are in tip-top shape for an evening massage from any Woo Amp of my liking. (Thank you, Silent One.) Well, okay, almost any Woo amp for I don't own the WA5 (yet!) :) Last night I went to bed listening to my Leben and for some reason the sound was a bit too tube-y for my liking compared to the WA22. I was using the HD650 so it may just be the hp. And I was listening to Fleet Foxes's first LP. I wonder what sound signature an amp with 300B tubes would be like.

Rise and Shine! In SF that is. And fire up yer amps. I have.

And LUMAZ--After visiting Silent One in LA you must make it here to San Francisco to listen to more Woo Amps and check out Mike's rig, too. Mike's Big Rig. :)

Greetings to you too Clayton and my other Woomates.  I ended up the night listening to the Brandenberg, and now I am starting off the day on side two of the LP.  I had about 80 hours on my new LCD-2 r2 and was swapping back and forth in my WA22 last night.  Funny story.  I lost track of which phone I was hearing and when the LP ended I thought I was listening to the HD800, but I actually had the LCD-2 on.  It's sound signature is starting to evolve and is very promising.  I'm sure glad I have some solid state stuff around to keep the burn-in going 24/7. 

So now that I have three pairs of headphones (sigh) the question is where to put them and how to organize them.  What do you use to organize your 'phones?

I'm going to try to get some pictures out today.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #12,635 of 42,298

Quote:
It's probably a silhouette of me on the horizon after eating a few pizzas in Lucca. Yes. Do you know which meet Jack Wu will be at next? Something in October happening, I think. October is always out of my grasp for any travel away from work because my employer's tri-year Docket to the trustees is due then.

I am pretty sure Jack will be at RMAF in October since this year's CanJam is there too. The dates are October 14th through 16th.
If you have not been there you ow it to yourself. Jack brings a display of all his offereings so you can sitdwon and play with each one. That was how I picked my WA5-LE at the last CanJam in Chicago.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #12,636 of 42,298

Quote:
 I am pretty sure Jack will be at RMAF in October since this year's CanJam is there too. The dates are October 14th through 16th.
If you have not been there you ow it to yourself. Jack brings a display of all his offereings so you can sitdwon and play with each one. That was how I picked my WA5-LE at the last CanJam in Chicago.

Hmmmm.  October.  What city, Denver?

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #12,637 of 42,298

Quote:
Hmmmm.  October.  What city, Denver?

FIELD TRIP! Get ready, guys!
wink_face.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #12,638 of 42,298
Some of us are already planning on going.  RMAF is arguably the best audio show of the year.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #12,639 of 42,298

Quote:
Just a question out of sheer curiosity to all Woo owners (and good morning to you all!).
For how long can you listen to music with a can on your head without a pause? (that is apart from go to the bathroom or things like this!).

I have been known to sit all day long with my headphones on, but it is not a consistent thing at all. When I do go for a marathon session like that, I will usually switch headphones about halfway through. The HD800 is just the antidote for the LCD-2 in physical comfort as well as it's ability to bring a little more air into the sound, and the LCD-2's lushness can be just the ticket for the HD800's uber high-end detail.

The newer LCD-2 sounds like a great headphone in its own right, but from what I am reading I don't that it would would be as much of a contrast sound-wise as the original to my later-model HD800. The newer LCD-2 probably is a great compliment Mike's early-model HD800 though; I think we both have the right pairings and I believe it's a good thing to be able to alternate headphones for those longer sessions. For myself there is listening fatigue, which can come on faster with the HD800, and physical fatigue, which happens more with the LCD-2.

Is that how you see it Mike? What is your third headphone, do you still have your earlier LCD-2?

Quote:
Greetings to you too Clayton and my other Woomates.  I ended up the night listening to the Brandenberg, and now I am starting off the day on side two of the LP.  I had about 80 hours on my new LCD-2 r2 and was swapping back and forth in my WA22 last night.  Funny story.  I lost track of which phone I was hearing and when the LP ended I thought I was listening to the HD800, but I actually had the LCD-2 on.  It's sound signature is starting to evolve and is very promising.  I'm sure glad I have some solid state stuff around to keep the burn-in going 24/7. 

So now that I have three pairs of headphones (sigh) the question is where to put them and how to organize them.  What do you use to organize your 'phones?

For organizing around my WA22 I use the Sennheiser headphone Hangers, I still have four of them after passing a couple of them on. Upstairs for my AD2K and Ed8 I have a double-Woo stand, and for the sadly neglected high-powered rig I can fit both the KK and He-6 on a single padded double-pronged utility wall hanger made for yard tools.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #12,640 of 42,298

Quote:
For how long can you listen to music with a can on your head without a pause? (that is apart from go to the bathroom or things like this!). And if you have more than an headphone (I have only my Senn HD-800) which one is the less fatiguing for your ears? Generally speaking, after 3 listening's hours (or slightly more) I am becoming tired and my ears begin to feel less clearly than at the beginning so I must stop (my volume level with my WA22 is, more or less at 11 but it depends also from the QA of every CD's that I put in my Naim 555).

P.S. In the weekend, since I have had little time to hear music, I put on the IsoTek break-in and demagnetizing CD (without turn on my WA22) to make work my new Naim 555, and after 10 hours's workout now things are getting better for my system!

LUMAZ, if you have WE421a power tubes with a pure balanced source into the WA22 balanced input, I would say something is wrong in the fact that you have your volume set to 11 o'clock. Loud should be around 5 clicks from the bottom (3 o'clock). Comfortable should be 4 clicks (give or take 1, depending on the sensitivity of your ears). If I put my volume to 11 o'clock (9 clicks), I have to take the headphones off - it would damage my ears.  At 4 clicks, I could easily listen for a full 8 hours without any problems at all (the sound is kind of loud, should probably only be at 3 clicks).

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #12,641 of 42,298

Quote:
I have been known to sit all day long with my headphones on, but it is not a consistent thing at all. When I do go for a marathon session like that, I will usually switch headphones about halfway through. The HD800 is just the antidote for the LCD-2 in physical comfort as well as it's ability to bring a little more air into the sound, and the LCD-2's lushness can be just the ticket for the HD800's uber high-end detail.

The newer LCD-2 sounds like a great headphone in its own right, but from what I am reading I don't that it would would be as much of a contrast sound-wise as the original to my later-model HD800. The newer LCD-2 probably is a great compliment Mike's early-model HD800 though; I think we both have the right pairings and I believe it's a good thing to be able to alternate headphones for those longer sessions. For myself there is listening fatigue, which can come on faster with the HD800, and physical fatigue, which happens more with the LCD-2.

Is that how you see it Mike? What is your third headphone, do you still have your earlier LCD-2?

For organizing around my WA22 I use the Sennheiser headphone Hangers, I still have four of them after passing a couple of them on. Upstairs for my AD2K and Ed8 I have a double-Woo stand, and for the sadly neglected high-powered rig I can fit both the KK and He-6 on a single padded double-pronged utility wall hanger made for yard tools.

Hey Grokit,

I see it close to what you are saying with the exception that the HD800 is my baseline, so I would not call them uber high-end detail phones, but natural sounding phones and all others are compared to them (my perspective, IMHO and ect.).

I'm still breaking in the r2 version of the LCD-2 so I cannot say just yet other then they sound promising and I think at these early stages I detect a certain bottom end lushness or richness from them that the HD800 does not exhibit.  I'll know when I have 250 hours on them and I have about 96 hours on them so far.  They are attached to a solid state headphone amp and are playing all day long in another room and I bring them out in the evening to check on them like last night for an hour or so.

As for listening fatigue, I have been thinking about that since LUMAZ asked how long we can listen to headphones before we have to stop.  I have some ideas about what this is, and am not ready to share my thoughts just yet as I want to roll it over in my mind a bit more before I say anything.

My third headphone is the HD650.

Where did you purchase your headphone hangers?

Thanks.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #12,642 of 42,298

Quote:

IsoTek _______

That's what I use on m system as well!

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #12,643 of 42,298
Sennheiser Headphone Holder _____

I'm going to get mine from The Headroom (headphone.com) Photo below is from fellow head-fier Chu...

36334243ze2.jpg

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #12,644 of 42,298

Quote:

Jack (Woo Audio) is announcing new products in October - almost certain that's the event! 
popcorn.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #12,645 of 42,298
Quote:
Where did you purchase your headphone hangers?

Thanks.

I got mine direct from Sennheiser:
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=510615

But it looks like Amazon may have a better deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphone-Holder-Over-Headphones/dp/B004LPZBD6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back