Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 6, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #12,511 of 42,298
Quote: Original posted by mikemalter 
 (Clayton, if you go, please take lots of pictures; especially the food!)

Hey, Mike I guess (and I hope) that Clayton will eat Italian food not only take pictures of it! I know that in California there are a lot of Italian people, and also a lot of "Lucchesi" (so is called Lucca's people!) that have some restaurants. Have you ever been to eat to Italian restaurants in your area?

Quote: Original psoted by Clayton SF 
 (I wonder if they have any headphone amp stores like ALO Audio in Lucca) 

To tell the truth Clayton, Lucca is not a big town (90,000 inhabitans more or less) and we have only a High-End store that sells only things like Marantz, Cambridge, French YBA, Sennheiser, Bang & Olufsen, Nordost cables, and other things only on order.
Now my favourite store is at Bientina (I gave you the link at a precedent post) because it sells Naim and especially because we become friends and I can pass a whole day in his store, listening to vinyl records. Cd's, on a lot of wonderful units (he has an incredible turntable but i don't remember the brand, maybe some day I will send you a picture of this).
Ah, Lucca is 2000 years old (more or less, maybe more).

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #12,512 of 42,298

Quote:
Hello Silent (since you are already online at this hour you have my first greetings from Italy).
Burn-in is a very delicate matter: as of today my only component old enough it is my HD-800 (one year old). All the rest it is relatively young because I changed almost anything these last months! So my WA22 has begun his musical life only on March (unfortunately I have lost my mother last March and in January and February I didn't listen at all at music), then between May and July I have bought a new mains conditioner, a new interconnect cable, two new power cables, a new cable for the HD-800, new driver and power tubes, and finally Naim 555 with his separated power supply. So at this moment all of my system is "rusted" and a little bit "slow" and certainly it needs a lot of time to reach his full potential. The sound is beautiful but is also closed and not relaxed. The guy that sold me WE421A said to me that they need a 150 hours burn-in (minimum) and Naim cdp needs over 400 hours. It is a long way to Tipperary! So I advise MikeMalter to get slow with his new LCD-2 before to say how really plays because if I must say, after only two weeks that I have bought it, how is the sound of my Naim 555, I would say: "sometimes pretty nice, sometimes beautiful, sometimes (maybe) already wonderful (for example with the K2 Mastering edition of Eagles's Hell freezes over but this particular CD plays well on anything!) but surely not yet the sound of which I have read in some Hi-FI magazines'reviews and that made me choose to sacrifice a big amount of money to get it.  

Seasoning... can make a good life even better! Based on your Naim's design, including the separate power supply, I wouldn't be surprised if the best was yet to come between 500-700 hours. Not talking minimum but rather, when it really begins to swing! I'm sure at 400 hours it will have your attention though. Speaking of 'hours', inside my listening room are four clocks, two of which are set to Paris local time. I've got a pretty good idea what you're up to and when back there in Italy... especially dinner! 
biggrin.gif

More importantly though, I'm sorry to hear about your loss and my sentiments goes out to your family_______

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #12,513 of 42,298

The Benz LP is the $5000.00 one, which is too rich for my blood.  I have it's more modest cousin the Benz Ebony H (it's a mc cartridge, but a high output mc).

Grokit, I'm really glad you started posting about vinyl, thank you for getting me going again.

I have a Benz LP-S on my VPI Scoutmatser. I love Benz cartridges. I'm sure the Ebony is also terrific. There is something just very right sounding about the Benz.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #12,514 of 42,298

Quote:

Hey, Mike I guess (and I hope) that Clayton will eat Italian food not only take pictures of it! I know that in California there are a lot of Italian people, and also a lot of "Lucchesi" (so is called Lucca's people!) that have some restaurants. Have you ever been to eat to Italian restaurants in your area?

To tell the truth Clayton, Lucca is not a big town (90,000 inhabitans more or less) and we have only a High-End store that sells only things like Marantz, Cambridge, French YBA, Sennheiser, Bang & Olufsen, Nordost cables, and other things only on order.
Now my favourite store is at Bientina (I gave you the link at a precedent post) because it sells Naim and especially because we become friends and I can pass a whole day in his store, listening to vinyl records. Cd's, on a lot of wonderful units (he has an incredible turntable but i don't remember the brand, maybe some day I will send you a picture of this).

I told some friends at work about you and your city of Lucca and guess what! My friend Jennie's husband is married to a man from Lucca. His parents are Lucchesi who emigrated to San Francisco in the early 1900s. Her husbands name is Ippolito Lucchesi. Now why would his sur name coincidentally be Lucchesi? They visit Lucca quite often have told me that they are greeted by their Italian relatives with evenings of non-stop meals where the food just "kept on coming."

I own 3 turntables (Pro-Ject Xperience, Technics SL1200MK2, and MMF 9.1) I sometimes connect the tt in use to the Woo then to the Fi Yph phono stage.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #12,515 of 42,298
There's something about the Fi gear that is so appealing to me, and has been since I first saw it back in the mid 90s in some magazine I think.  Time to investigate if the Yph is still available.  Clayton, how did you acquire yours?

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #12,516 of 42,298
I emailed Don Garber in May 2010 after reading a review about it on Six Moons website and told him that I was interested in the Fi Yph phono stage. Don told me that it takes about 8 months to build whatever I ordered but that he had one that needed about a week's worth of work before completion. The original person who had ordered it could no longer afford it. He said that he would sell me that one. So one week later after his completion of the unit it was shipped. It is a beautiful piece of work. Don said that I would need a step-up transformer if I used it with a < 1.0 mV MC cartridge so I got one from Bob's Devices.

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #12,518 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks Clayton.  I found your Flickr pictures with Google.  
biggrin.gif

Ssssssshhhhhhhh
wink_face.gif

By the way. I am listening to Pat Metheny--Letters from Home on HD650 and WA2. I swear these HD650 have never ever sounded this good before. The WA2 is the amp for HD650. Clean and clear highs and absolutely no SennVeil. The lows are exactly where I want them and the mids are only slightly recessed. I can now wait a few more months before I start to think about getting the LCD-2(rev2) again.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #12,519 of 42,298
Quote: original posted by  SilentOne

(Seasoning... can make a good life even better! Based on your Naim's design, including the separate power supply, I wouldn't be surprised if the best was yet to come between 500-700 hours. Not talking minimum but rather, when it really begins to swing! I'm sure at 400 hours it will have your attention though. Speaking of 'hours', inside my listening room are four clocks, two of which are set to Paris local time. I've got a pretty good idea what you're up to and when back there in Italy... especially dinner! 
biggrin.gif

More importantly though, I'm sorry to hear about your loss and my sentiments goes out to your family) 

Thanks for you kind words SIlentOne, they mean very much for me, really..
About Naim and burn-in,I had originally decided(because my wallet is really exhausted now!) to buy the second 555 PS power supply (necessary to obtain the maximum from 555 cdp) at the end of November but now I guess it is really better made burn-in of all the components together so I have just ordered the second power supply and it will be in my home (I hope!) at the end of August (sorry Clayton, that means that if you come to my town I will only be able to offer you a nice and hot Italian pizza with a can of beer! 
I am joking naturally!)  

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #12,520 of 42,298

Quote:
I would also like some clarification, as to the above. My real query is "do I buy the to 7N7 coverter, of await the 6SN7 converter?" I would rather not miss out on the $105 promo offer for the 7N7 converter, while Jack is kind enough to offer it.

Saw this post a few months back from a WA6SE owner.   it says on the WA6 page "Note that the 7N7 is not compatible with WA6-SE."

Am I missing something?  Have people been rolling 7n7 and 6sn7 into their WA6SE, and what exactly is the danger?  Have they performed any specific mods to do so?  

I ask this mostly as someone coming from an old SinglePower Slam ppx3 which I drove w/ 7n7s and quite liked the 7n7 sound, moreso than the midgrade NOS 6sn7 tubes I tried on that amp.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #12,521 of 42,298

Quote:
(sorry Clayton, that means that if you come to my town I will only be able to offer you a nice and hot Italian pizza with a can of beer!  I am joking naturally!)  

Apologies are not necessary because I believe that one simple pizza made in Lucca will certainly embody greater culinary finesee than a pizza thrown together in San Francisco. I know, I just had a few delivered to my work for a noontime break and it was not very good. Just a pizza of tomatoes, basil, and cheese is all I require. Oh yes, and a beer.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #12,522 of 42,298
Pizza Margherita... the original and still the best:

I'm hungry lol.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #12,523 of 42,298
Pizza Margherita, Liquid Fire, and Pink Floyd. Ahhhhhhhhhh. The Best.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #12,524 of 42,298

Quote:
So we've gone from a Clearasdio Statement with a Benz LP to a Clearaudio Solution with a Benz Ebony. That cracks me up, you are mortal after all!
biggrin.gif

Compared to to me you are superhuman though...

Anyways I am swimmingly glad I could help to inspire and motivate. Did you ever get a diagnosis on that missing channel?

That does look like a crazy nice turntable, BTW. I am still jealous!

Grokit, really sorry if I misled you, sorry, sometimes words look all alike to me.

I did get a diagnosis on the missing channel.  What happened is that the wires in the Clearaudio Unify tonearm are about a thick as a human hair and in one channel the ground seperated from the barrel and had to be soldered back.  It was a trip watching the Elliot at the Tweak Shop put it all back, it was like brain surgery.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #12,525 of 42,298

Quote:

LUMAZ,

I love Italian food and am inspired by the ideas behind Italian cooking.  Pasta is my favorite food, and I love to cook it and try out different ways to make sauce.  My next big step will be to learn to make pasta fresh.   Do you have any recipes for meatless tomato sauce and fresh pasta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back