Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 5, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #12,497 of 42,298

Quote:
Wait a minute. You have a defunct listening/living room/catbox? I have a one-bedroom apartment that I can barely find a place in which to store another 5U4G rectifier and you are telling me that you have a defunct listening/living room/catbox which housed a beautiful turntable that, until recently, was collecting dust. Well "Open Sesame!"

All kidding aside--that is one sexy turntable. So you're spinnin' vinyl now--cool!

Yeah, my wife and I have a smallish condo in San Rafael.  She got the master bedroom suite to turn into her office so I got the living room to turn into what ever I wanted.  Only thing is that the catbox is downstairs and we had two cats, but only one remain.  So, they sort of extended the catbox out into the room and well, they also used it for hairballs.  It basically turned pretty stinky and I am not spending much time there.  Only one cat left, and we are not having any pets after this one goes, so the rugs will get pulled up and then it will be livable again.

Thanks for the comments on the 'table.  I really like it, and the tonearm is carbon fiber with a jeweled point pivot.  Basically a hard gem on the inside with a little hole in it, and it rests on a spike so the joint is not mechanical.  The cartridge is a Benz Ebony high gain which got put on there when I smacked my fully broken in and sweet sounding Benz Micro cartridge and broke off the needle.

I'm listening to vinyl now on my WA22 and it's really nice.  I also like that I have a P5 which puts out a true 60 cycle signal so the timeing of my turntable motor is spot on.  They sell special motors for mucho dinaro to get that right, and the P5 & 10 owners get it along with the total package.

Here are a few Granite Audio preamp gut pictures.  I wrote a review of the preamp for Positive-Feedback online and bought the review sample.  I'll try to find the link.

The circuit board is 4 levels so that paths are not parallel but intersections which help reduce noise.  Get this.  They place black velvet strips on the top edge of their preamp so that when you put on the cover, it's not metal on metal with potential vibrations.

Quote:
Wow that is sweet!

Thanks, WA.

Quote:
All this talk of D7000 is getting me excited to plug them in tonight.  Could turn into a long night of listening
beyersmile.png

Yeah!!!!!!!!

Quote:
That's a really nice deck, Mike! How have you been neglecting it?!

Couple of years, but now it's back.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #12,498 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the comments on the 'table.  I really like it, and the tonearm is carbon fiber with a jeweled point pivot.  Basically a hard gem on the inside with a little hole in it, and it rests on a spike so the joint is not mechanical.

Here are a few Granite Audio preamp gut pictures.  I wrote a review of the preamp for Positive-Feedback online and bought the review sample.  I'll try to find the link.

The circuit board is 4 levels so that paths are not parallel but intersections which help reduce noise.  Get this.  They place black velvet strips on the top edge of their preamp so that when you put on the cover, it's not metal on metal with potential vibrations.

Sounds like it runs like a finely tuned Swiss Watch of yore! Remember those? I swear, if i hadn't gone the route of the audiophile I would have collected mechanical clocks and watches. I used to be fascinated by those as a kid--and I still am.

I found it! Great review. Here's the link: Positive Feedback, Issue 6

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #12,499 of 42,298

Quote:

Very nice turntable Mike, I am still jealous but not quite as much as I thought I was!

When I Googled "Clearaudio Statement", this is what came up:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Statement-Turntable?sc=2&category=347

$ =
eek.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #12,500 of 42,298

Quote:
Very nice turntable Mike, I am still jealous but not quite as much as I thought I was!

$ =
eek.gif

Give Mike a few days, he may just come across one of those buried somewhere in his defunct listening/living room/catbox!
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #12,501 of 42,298

Quote:
All done editing.  Promise me you guys won't tl;dr when you see it, because it's reaaaaally long.  I got carried away. 
biggrin.gif
  I just need to take the picture and post it all.  Tomorrow hopefully, so long as nothing comes up.

Errr... how is that going?

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #12,502 of 42,298

Quote:
Give Mike a few days, he may just come across one of those buried somewhere in his defunct listening/living room/catbox!
biggrin.gif

I have to admit that I thought it was a bit pedestrian to be mounting "only" a $5K cartridge on that baby!

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #12,504 of 42,298

Quote:

$ =
eek.gif

Did I say Statement?  Sorry, I meant Solution.  It is actually an old turntable and they do not make them anymore.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #12,508 of 42,298

Quote:

I have to admit that I thought it was a bit pedestrian to be mounting "only" a $5K cartridge on that baby!

The Benz LP is the $5000.00 one, which is too rich for my blood.  I have it's more modest cousin the Benz Ebony H (it's a mc cartridge, but a high output mc).

Grokit, I'm really glad you started posting about vinyl, thank you for getting me going again.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #12,509 of 42,298

Quote:
The Benz LP is the $5000.00 one, which is too rich for my blood.  I have it's more modest cousin the Benz Ebony H (it's a mc cartridge, but a high output mc).

Grokit, I'm really glad you started posting about vinyl, thank you for getting me going again.

So we've gone from a Clearasdio Statement with a Benz LP to a Clearaudio Solution with a Benz Ebony. That cracks me up, you are mortal after all!
biggrin.gif

Compared to to me you are superhuman though...

Anyways I am swimmingly glad I could help to inspire and motivate. Did you ever get a diagnosis on that missing channel?

That does look like a crazy nice turntable, BTW. I am still jealous!

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #12,510 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks for the info, gents. I guess I will just look into getting something, at least.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the Fx700 sounds great straight out of a DAP, no separate amp is necessary. I was using it straight out of my 5G iMod the other day and it sounded fantastic. I usually listen with a huge Vcap dock and Headstage Arrow but have found with the Fx700 that is unnecessary unless I am using full-size cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back