Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 10, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #11,611 of 42,298

Quote:
@ WarriorAnt ~

I have been revamping my audio desk and rewiring my system from 2230 to 0130 hours. Just finished and put a few tracks through their paces from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz. Remember the missing dynamics, touch of bass and slam I was missing? They're b-a-c-k !-!-!  My DAC-1 is off the hook! Yup, it's big, wide and deep. I just hooked up the SX-650 and  sampled two tracks of Abraham Laboriel, Three tracks of Al Jarreau. 

The DAC-1/SX-650 connection pushed the D7000's downstairs and made 'em come back with those notes that were temporarily M.I.A.. My Woo showed the same ability until recently, so this tells me I've a problem upstream 'cause the DAC-1 & Woo/Pioneer combo has demonstrated it can mix it up and take another DAC's lunch money! Maybe even yours!!! (just funnin' WarriorAnt) I'm just relieved that I can save $1,300. It was vacation funds at that! 

Shipsupt hinted at giving my tubes a good lookin' at. I may have tube issues not hardware after all (whew). I'll need to test them. Funny, as he was the first with the suggestion and I'm goin' to meet with him next week anyway, I just didn't know I'd be bringing tubes along for inspection. 
biggrin.gif

Have you given the pins a steel wool wipe and a deoxit treatment lately?

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #11,612 of 42,298

Quote:

Have you given the pins a steel wool wipe and a deoxit treatment lately?

Yes, with the Red then Gold DeoxIT. I used a really really fine wool because the pins didn't look bad last week. Maybe I should bring out the hammer and scrub like I'm gettin' paid!  :~) Thanks for asking. Really should be sleep, or resting at least. We're having way too much fun with this 1977 Pioneer! Also, I think it's time I invest in a tube tester. 

Will try my backup NOS GE's but they don't really have that much bottom. If I had an amp that used separate Power & Driver tubes I'd be good with the GE's. They have a nice sound though. Since I'm testing, who cares! Let's see what happens tomorrow... I mean later on today.

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #11,613 of 42,298
It sounds fine to me (if that's what Hero meant) - no excess noise to make me think to set it to variable. I have no need of volume control at the DAC...

Great thanks. :smile: It'll help with my setup next week when my DAC2 arrives.

BTW, only my wife calls me "Hero" :p....you can call me Peter.

Cheers, Peter! My name is Justin but my wife occasionally calls me much harsher names!
:wink:

J

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #11,615 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes I think he was selling one of his three pairs, and the Pinnacle sounds familiar instead of the Peak/Volcano...

edit: I remember now, it was InnerSpace, in this review and the ensuing thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539248/apex-pinnacle-vs-leben-cs300xs-the-awful-truth

Grokit,

Thanks for finding the post and getting it up here.  That was a credible review.

Jul 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #11,616 of 42,298
Just ordered a WA6SE.  I plan on using the stock tubes for awhile.  It will be my first tube amp.  I currently use a Headroom Cosmic from around 2001 with HD650s.  Source is either a Marantz 67SE cd player or a Sonos playing primarily lossless files.  In the future I may look into a dac for the Sonos.

I am excited to try the Woo.  I hope it is a big improvement over the Cosmic - although I do like that amp.

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #11,617 of 42,298
Congradulations! I'm sure you will love your new Woo.

Quote:
Just ordered a WA6SE.  I plan on using the stock tubes for awhile.  It will be my first tube amp.  I currently use a Headroom Cosmic from around 2001 with HD650s.  Source is either a Marantz 67SE cd player or a Sonos playing primarily lossless files.  In the future I may look into a dac for the Sonos.

I am excited to try the Woo.  I hope it is a big improvement over the Cosmic - although I do like that amp.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #11,620 of 42,298
Hey guys. I was rolling some driver tubes on my amplifier today and when it was finished with its warm up and on full power I heard a pop from my headphones. Followed by hum and one channel dead. Now these tubes were perfectly fine before, is it normal to have them just pop like this?

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #11,621 of 42,298
Sounds like the tube arced. Not a good thing. Is the one tube dead? I would for sure not use that tube again unless you have a tube tester and can see that it is good. Did your headphones survive? I had a tube arc and take out one driver of a DT990.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #11,622 of 42,298
What does it mean if a tube arced? There was nothing visible inside the tube or anything.
I cannot test it, so Ill just throw em away. I suppose one is dead although they still burn normally. Headphone is ok. I'm more worried about my amp :)

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #11,624 of 42,298

Quote:

Yes. A slight hum. I have to unplug the headphones to make sure that I'm not hearing the refrigerator in the distance but when I plug the headphones back in I do hear it ever so slightly. The hum--not the refrigerator.

Mine was dead silent.... I can hear nothing unless I turned up volume to max. Did you have the problem during evening or daytime? Normally the power would more pure during night. You can try swap tubes or change power cords... 

Jul 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #11,625 of 42,298

Quote:
Sounds like the tube arced. Not a good thing. Is the one tube dead? I would for sure not use that tube again unless you have a tube tester and can see that it is good. Did your headphones survive? I had a tube arc and take out one driver of a DT990.

What would cause arced? Is there any sign would show the tube is about go arced? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back