Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #11,551 of 42,298

Quote:
Mac,

You are going to love the W4S.  When mine hit 100 hours there was a big difference and when it hit 200 the clouds opened.  W/the WA22 it's incredible.  A great match.

I can't really comment past 200 because I tossed in the V200 at that point and then a replacement LCD for 7 weeks and now another LCD.  The DAC-2 balance out/balanced in>V200>LCD-2r.2 combo sounds great.  I am yearning to try a tube amp. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #11,552 of 42,298

Quote:
I can't really comment past 200 because I tossed in the V200 at that point and then a replacement LCD for 7 weeks and now another LCD.  The DAC-2 balance out/balanced in>V200>LCD-2r.2 combo sounds great.  I am yearning to try a tube amp. 

Another future WA22 owner perhaps...

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #11,554 of 42,298
No IOC meetings for me. I work for a Swiss company. But, indeed, the moniker extends from when I used to fly myself around, and run an aircraft charter business on the side (which turned out to be a distressingly hard activity to make money on). I sometimes miss the smell of Jet-A, and pushing the power levers forward
smile.gif
. So I fly to Switzerland commercially, or in the back of our company jet. The latter is more comfortable, but the former is more cost effective....

Quote:

On a side note, with a moniker like "FlyingBear" did you pilot your way to an IOC meeting or flew commercial?  
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #11,555 of 42,298

Quote:
Does anyone here have experience with the WA2 and the LCD2's? How about the WA2 and the Denon AH-D7000's?

I tried the LCD-2's with my WA22, and in my environment I did not care for them.  There are people here who really like the sound of them, and feel the WA22 drives them well, but they were not for me. 

I have a pair of HD800's and I like the HD800's spacious soundstage and ability to render a lot of detail both high and low.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #11,556 of 42,298
Oh, I'm very sorry to hear that. Audiophiles are almost by definition perfectionists, so I can see how unexplained differences would be exasperating. Just like the quiet tinkling noise in a new car where you can't find the source, or the almost imperceptible speck of dust on a DSLR sensor. Been there, didn't like it.

Per your other post, I can understand why Wave Out sounds different and worse: you're probably using the analog circuits in the sound card in the signal chain, and they're likely to be not very good, and inside a bad environment driven by really grubby power. I can also understand why the various "direct digital" outputs sound the same. I'm guessing that the difference you're seeing below comes from different "direct" (or really not so direct) routing of the digital signal between XP and Win7. Win7 gets a lot of things right, including in the audio area; XP not so much. You're right that ASIO should be bypassing everything, but it may not. Also, the XP and Win7 drivers may be setting up the direct signal path differently.

Also, it's not impossible that the power in your new, or old PC is causing issues with the digital signal. It shouldn't, but it might. I'm not talking a few picoseconds of jitter, but gross timing and spiking issues.

My bet is the driver. And that the Win7 driver is likely the source of the more accurate sound. But I'm guessing, so it doesn't help you much, sorry.

This is also worrying, because I'm relying 100% on the signal chain in my profile below. I have an old Theta David II CD transport, also feeding my W4S DAC-2, but haven't yet had the chance to listen on a "real" amplifier, as my WES is in its crate waiting for my return. It's being patient, I'm sure, but I'm not! I'm hoping very deeply that the CD->DAC-2 sounds the same as the same CD lovingly ripped and played through Pure Music (or J River, I have both). I'll report back once I've had a chance to get accustomed to the W4S and the WES, and them to me. If I can hear a difference between the three playback routes, then I'll join you in exasperation.

Quote:
Yeah, I could understand if it were analog, in fact I would accept that very easily.  But to attribute things such as changes in tone to jitter and re-clock issues has always been a stretch for my imagination.  The system, as of present is:  J River Media Center 16 playing FLAC files > ASIO direct feed to sound card, no-resampling, no processing > optical digital output to CIA VDA-2 DAC > analog output to the WA6.  It is as direct as I can make it without a USB DAC implementation.  The reason I'm stymied at present is because the device sending signal to the DAC is the same one that was doing so before.  I literally yanked this soundcard out of the old computer and put it into this one, but I'm getting different sonic results now.  All other settings and modes are identical to what they were on the old PC.  I quadruple checked.  I mean....... the purpose of ASIO is direct communication with the hardware so I don't see how Windows7 could be affecting this vs. WinXP before, but this is the only thing that is really different.  It's just....... exasperating.  Between this and another issue I'm having (which I will withhold because it is not relevant to rant about in this topic), I'm finding little joy in music at the moment.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #11,557 of 42,298
Does anyone here have experience with the WA2 and the LCD2's? How about the WA2 and the Denon AH-D7000's?

I actually liked the WA2 quite a bit with the LCD-2. Oddly, I think that was a better match in the end than the WA22 is, in my experience. YMMV of course.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #11,558 of 42,298

Quote:
I actually liked the WA2 quite a bit with the LCD-2. Oddly, I think that was a better match in the end than the WA22 is, in my experience. YMMV of course.

I'm itching for a Woo for the LCD's.  It's between the 6SE and the WA2, but now I have to wait for you tube gurus to evaluate the LCD-2 r.2 with an amp because it's a bit of a different game now.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #11,559 of 42,298

Quote:
I can't really address the DAC-1 as the DAC-2 has a more hefty analog output and the super caps which is the main reason I choose it over the DAC-1.  I find the bass to be deep and strong in combo with the V200 and even more so now with the latest LCD-2 which in some ways is a bit of a different beast than the earlier LCD.     But  I cant really say anything past that combo because that's all I know.  Bass definition for me is very refined but I'm in another type of universe.  The DAC-2 has a high output and I use the gain switch functions on the V200 to lower the V200's output so I can use the volume control around 12 or 1 o'clock and make better use of the range of the pot otherwise the DAC-2 would have me running  around 9 O'Clock. 

I was correct in my assessment about mikemalter's state of affairs, but you never came through with that tea. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm not sure I would agree with your view that the DAC-2 has a heftier analog output. We're not talking about the DAC-2's increased options, rather the signal; the units only divided by Super caps. Had my wallet out (though it was empty) and Clint compared and contrasted these things with me. Now, he could be wrong... and that'd be ok.

Later this week I'll have the Violetric V800 DAC and see which DAC my Woo & D7000 combo likes better. Also, my SX-650 just got delivered three minutes ago.. playtime!

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #11,560 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm itching for a Woo for the LCD's.  It's between the 6SE and the WA2, but now I have to wait for you tube gurus to evaluate the LCD-2 r.2 with an amp because it's a bit of a different game now.

Of the two Woos, my preference with LCD-2s is the 6SE. It really brings out the best in the LCD-2s, both on the top end and the bottom end.

Oddly, though, I'm keeping the WA2 and prepping to sell the 6SE, since the WA2 sounds better with my T1s and about equal with my HE-500s.

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11,561 of 42,298

Quote:
No IOC meetings for me. I work for a Swiss company. But, indeed, the moniker extends from when I used to fly myself around, and run an aircraft charter business on the side (which turned out to be a distressingly hard activity to make money on). I sometimes miss the smell of Jet-A, and pushing the power levers forward
smile.gif
. So I fly to Switzerland commercially, or in the back of our company jet. The latter is more comfortable, but the former is more cost effective....

(Silent One quietly fills with envy... decides to reply anyway)  

I'm twice the brat (USAF; FAA) and love aviation; jets. And you're correct, Win 7 has superior drivers...

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #11,562 of 42,298

Quote:
Of the two Woos, my preference with LCD-2s is the 6SE. It really brings out the best in the LCD-2s, both on the top end and the bottom end.

Oddly, though, I'm keeping the WA2 and prepping to sell the 6SE, since the WA2 sounds better with my T1s and about equal with my HE-500s.

The array of tea tins are barren at this time. Otherwise, I'd buy that 6SE so quick you'd still be in the middle of prepping it! I remain very interested and curious about mono blocking a pair of 6SE's. Can't seem to find anyone in the forum or the Net who bothered doing so. I want that pre-paid experience from others...

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #11,563 of 42,298

Quote:
I was correct in my assessment about mikemalter's state of affairs, but you never came through with that tea. 
biggrin.gif
  I'm not sure I would agree with your view that the DAC-2 has a heftier analog output. We're not talking about the DAC-2's increased options, rather the signal; the units only divided by Super caps. Had my wallet out (though it was empty) and Clint compared and contrasted these things with me. Now, he could be wrong... and that'd be ok.

Later this week I'll have the Violetric V800 DAC and see which DAC my Woo & D7000 combo likes better. Also, my SX-650 just got delivered three minutes ago.. playtime!

Really interesting, the v800 balanced outs and volume control.  Have you heard how long you have to break it in?  Are you going to replace your DAC-1 with it?

Hope you have fun with the SX-650.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #11,564 of 42,298

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Never underestimate the effect of caps on bass performance.

Where are  you getting a V800?  A loaner?  

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #11,565 of 42,298

Quote:
Really interesting, the v800 balanced outs and volume control.  Have you heard how long you have to break it in?  Are you going to replace your DAC-1 with it?

Hope you have fun with the SX-650.

While burn-in is important, I need not achieve full burn-in for some indicators. Also, you may remember from prior posts that I believe cables and components need time at rest is equally important as the hours clocked. Take muscles for example, when taxing the muscle by weight-lifting or like exercises, the most important stage doesn't come from the breaking down of the muscle itself. Though each stage contributes, it is the rest period that takes place afterwards that's key.

My self created philosophy is geared toward 21 days minimum for burn-in and must include adequate rest during that time.This is why I don't use my solid-state gear to maximize hours in a hurry. I'll likely do 3 on/ 3 off; or 5 to 8 hours on and then time off. But that's my story. (see profile for financial interests.... kidding!)

But if I see/hear enough with the V800, then I'll take the steps to keep it in-house and liquidate something. I really need to get a Yob so I can stop dispensing with the cheap tea! 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back