Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #10,921 of 42,298

Quote:

Thanks silentone.  Seems to me that was obvious.  I am aware of the rules, but as I said, many members here do this since woo owners are fond of these tubes.  Thought I would give the guys here first chance.  The tube is now sold btw.

Great! Sometimes I notice when new posts are submitted, it's obvious that the poster isn't aware of a previous post. This may happen if the poster is still composing or hasn't yet submitted their entry. Falsely given the impression that some of us don't read up before posting. I tried to help out in this regard when the poster was seeking EML Glass right on the heels of your post.

Still, my eyes failed me - I didn't notice the highlighted word/link in your post until after my Copy & Paste. That failure is what caused the misunderstanding... along with good intentions.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks for looking after your fellow Woo mates!

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #10,922 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks silentone.  Seems to me that was obvious.  I am aware of the rules, but as I said, many members here do this since woo owners are fond of these tubes.  Thought I would give the guys here first chance.  The tube is now sold btw.

I applaud posts regarding tubes for sale that may be of interest to Woo Owners because that is what this community is all about: to keep those who have Woo interests well-informed with first-hand Woo-info. Thanks for that for-sale post, davo50. Much appreciated.
smile.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #10,923 of 42,298

Quote:
I applaud posts regarding tubes for sale that may be of interest to Woo Owners because that is what this community is all about: to keep those who have Woo interests well-informed with first-hand Woo-info. Thanks for that for-sale post, davo50. Much appreciated.
smile.gif

+1 on tube info...

& great to see you in this space again, Clayton SF!

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #10,924 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks. The bridge should deliver, as I was looking to get away from Optical Out on the Mac ( a few short-comings). And you know I'm looking to tap into your P5. Here, the grid gets itself right (cleaned up) between the hours of 23:30 - 00:30 and I'll typically listen to 0300 hrs every second or third night unless I have to rise early.

I have just enough calendar ahead to have all components with a minimum 200 hours burn-in. Currently, the D7000 has 264; the W4S DAC has 100 hrs.  

How is the W4S coming along?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #10,925 of 42,298

Quote:
How is the W4S coming along?

@ 100 hours, it's on simmer. I decided against the full-on DVD assault because I wanted to observe changes in progress during burn-in. The first 50 hours aren't worth mentioning. From hours 75-100 the big shoe box has awakened! Currently, I have a wider sound stage and greater separation and detail. Much more so than the EMU.

However, I can tell it's still doing whatever it is that it needs to be doing and that my sound will improve further towards 200-500 hours. For one, I am now waiting for depth. It's akin to standing at a counter waiting for service. Let's say the counter is just under a meter in width and five meters in length.

I'm reading a sign straight ahead when a someone standing just behind the counter wide left/right says "we'll be right with you, sir." So, at this time I think that's the last big change I'm looking for, more depth. Coming along quite nicely... and this is with inexpensive Red & White audio cables. Can't wait to hear the Eclipse 6's!

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #10,927 of 42,298

Quote:
@ 100 hours, it's on simmer. I decided against the full-on DVD assault because I wanted to observe changes in progress during burn-in. The first 50 hours aren't worth mentioning. From hours 75-100 the big shoe box has awakened! Currently, I have a wider sound stage and greater separation and detail. Much more so than the EMU.

However, I can tell it's still doing whatever it is that it needs to be doing and that my sound will improve further towards 200-500 hours. For one, I am now waiting for depth. It's akin to standing at a counter waiting for service. Let's say the counter is just under a meter in width and five meters in length.

I'm reading a sign straight ahead when a someone standing just behind the counter wide left/right says "we'll be right with you, sir." So, at this time I think that's the last big change I'm looking for, more depth. Coming along quite nicely... and this is with inexpensive Red & White audio cables. Can't wait to hear the Eclipse 6's!

you'll be OK to listen after 200 hours.   0-100 is the biggest change but that with the DAC-2 which has different caps in it than the DAC-1.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #10,928 of 42,298

Quote:
you'll be OK to listen after 200 hours.   0-100 is the biggest change but that with the DAC-2 which has different caps in it than the DAC-1.

Clint informed me '200' at minimum and that it would still improve (slightly) yet after that - my spirits remain high. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #10,931 of 42,298

Quote:
Just a quick question: how long should I leave the amp off before turning it back on again?

I know that some valve amps don't like to be turned off and then on again straight away

You're absolutely right and the Woo is no different. Woo Audio suggests letting the amp cool and this will vary according the environment. My own rule of thumb is one hour. This is over-the-top but then, I'm in no hurry. Now that you've posted, others have a chance to chime in as well...

Fellow member sillysally posted some very useful info recently (see below):

*** Yes Jack seems to build in a "soft start" with these amp. One thing to keep in mind is that if you turn off your Woo and don't let it cool down before restarting your Woo the "soft start" will not work.

imo its very important to make sure your Woo is at room temperature before restarting it. Not only will a "hard start" shorten your Rectifier life but the rest of your tubes also. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #10,933 of 42,298

Quote:
+1 on tube info...

& great to see you in this space again, Clayton SF!

Thanks! I'm off to Holland again in August. Been saving money for that trip so no more toys until I get there (WHAT!). Got to sniff out some tubes/valves in Amsterdam. I've been lying low and away from amp zones just to keep from being tempted to make more purchases before this trip. But... one can only stay away for only so long. So Long!
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #10,934 of 42,298

Quote:
I just received my WA6 SE and it has given my 701's a new life

Best purchase I've made in ages!

My man! 
beerchug.gif
That's is the set up I have. I love it. The only reason I'm looking for other, less expensive set ups right now is so that my WA6se and 701s don't get old! I'm looking at a Matrix amp... I have no desire to upgrade from my 6se and 701s.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #10,935 of 42,298

Quote:

You're absolutely right and the Woo is no different. Woo Audio suggests letting the amp cool and this will vary according the environment. My own rule of thumb is one hour. This is over-the-top but then, I'm in no hurry. Now that you've posted, others have a chance to chime in as well...

Fellow member sillysally posted some very useful info recently (see below):

*** Yes Jack seems to build in a "soft start" with these amp. One thing to keep in mind is that if you turn off your Woo and don't let it cool down before restarting your Woo the "soft start" will not work.

imo its very important to make sure your Woo is at room temperature before restarting it. Not only will a "hard start" shorten your Rectifier life but the rest of your tubes also. 

X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back