Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 29, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #10,441 of 42,298

Quote:
What is the first cap uf after the rectifier? Something is off as too much current draw at start up will blow these tubes with too large a cap. 

First, mike I am very sorry to read you are having more problems.

Yes I agree with what you are saying jam, but if that's the case Jack really screwed the pouch on mikes amp. His amp should have a 30 second delay to protect against this happening and from what he is saying his EML blew right when he turned on his amp.

May 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #10,442 of 42,298

Quote:
ARGH!!!!
My EML just blew; again.  I was changing out a pair of ECC32's for my TungSol TSRP's.  I waited for the amp to cool down and when I turned it back on, the fireworks show happened.  I have a PS Audio P5 and my voltage is set to 120 and it never goes above so I know it's not an over voltage problem.

The last time this happened it was the same thing.  Changed a pair of driver tubes and boom.  I also bought a spare EML at that time, so it's not stopping me from listening to anything.  I'm pretty sure I'm still under warranty since this was purchased within the past year.  Those rectifiers with the thin filaments sure do like to go up in smoke.  I hope Jack does not think I'm a problem customer.

There is a school of though, guys, that says if you mix cold tubes with warm ones, that you risk arcing the tubes.  Pete Millet is the one who has said this, and he knows a good bit about tubes.  Here is his exact quite, from the HA-2 manual:

Quote:
Ø Don't power up the amp with one cold tube
This is important, and not obvious: You can cause a temporary overload condition if you put in one cold
tube along with others that are still warm, and turn the power back on. In particular, with the HA-2, if you
power up with a cold 6080 with the other tubes warm, you will get arcing between the grid and cathode of
the 6080 until the heater warms up. You really don't want your expensive headphones plugged in if this
happens! The resulting "pop" sound could damage them (or your hearing).

Something to consider.  I admit that I don't always heed this warning as well as I should, but if the EML is a bit fragile to begin with...well...just a thought.

Quote:
Good job!  When I compared a loaner WA22 to my WA6 I felt they both had very similar timbre, tone and detail - but the balanced WA22 had a noticeably wider and deeper soundstage with significantly more power.  At the time I already had the ZDT and felt it was slightly better with my low impedance phones and very similar with high impedance phones.  I've been meaning to upgrade the WA6 to a WA22 someday, but haven't been in a position to do it yet.

Thanks Larry.  Really looking forward to it.  Already got my tubes all picked out and ready
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #10,443 of 42,298
My practice has been to only change tubes after the equipment has been off over night.  I know this may be overly conservative but blowing tubes is such a bummer.  This prevents me from rolling tubes while the sound is fresh in my mind, but that's that price I pay.

Mike, sorry about your EML.]

May 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #10,444 of 42,298
I had my EML blow end of April that I had bought in December.  George from TubesUSA.com replaced it no problem.  A great guy to deal with.  He did tell me this has been an issue with these WA22 amps and was concerned about the voltage.  He was concerned about my voltage out of the wall and I was going to buy a voltmeter (too expensive) but who knows when I'm going to get a spike.  Volts might show good and then bam.  You have a PS so that should never happen.  I did ask Jackie Wu this question.  He dismissed it as being the amp.  HOT POTATO!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #10,445 of 42,298
Posting some pictures of my WA6 + DAC and headphones (Cambridge DacMagic and Denon D5000).
Wish I had a Sophia Princess 274B, because of the nice glow it has.

May 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #10,446 of 42,298
You know you can get a real cheap multimeter that would work nearly as good as say an expensive Fluke.  It really is another important tool to have if your an audio guy, realistically if you learn your way around with a decent multimeter, you can really trouble shoot a lot of things, even with out an oscilloscope.

Quote:
I had my EML blow end of April that I had bought in December.  George from TubesUSA.com replaced it no problem.  A great guy to deal with.  He did tell me this has been an issue with these WA22 amps and was concerned about the voltage.  He was concerned about my voltage out of the wall and I was going to buy a voltmeter (too expensive) but who knows when I'm going to get a spike.  Volts might show good and then bam.  You have a PS so that should never happen.  I did ask Jackie Wu this question.  He dismissed it as being the amp.  HOT POTATO!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #10,447 of 42,298
Beautiful Pics, Leon!

May 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #10,448 of 42,298

Quote:
Posting some pictures of my WA6 + DAC and headphones (Cambridge DacMagic and Denon D5000).
Wish I had a Sophia Princess 274B, because of the nice glow it has.

"Wish I had a Sophia Princess 274B, because of the nice glow it has." - Leon83

Silent One's Sophia Princess 274B glowing at night, Autumn 2010... nice photographs by the way!

May 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #10,449 of 42,298

Quote:
My practice has been to only change tubes after the equipment has been off over night.  I know this may be overly conservative but blowing tubes is such a bummer.  This prevents me from rolling tubes while the sound is fresh in my mind, but that's that price I pay.

Mike, sorry about your EML.]

+2

I'm in this camp most of the time. And there are long intervals (few hours minimum) in between same day swaps. My lack of tube knowledge is what guides me with caution. But someday... we'll know more... and knowingly cut corners (skillfully, mind you).

May 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #10,450 of 42,298

Quote:
You know you can get a real cheap multimeter that would work nearly as good as say an expensive Fluke.  It really is another important tool to have if your an audio guy, realistically if you learn your way around with a decent multimeter, you can really trouble shoot a lot of things, even with out an oscilloscope.

It is too bad that one can't just sit back and enjoy the amp for what it's for--music. I'd hate for the day to come when I'd have to use a multimeter, oscilloscope, etc. just to make sure I can turn on my tube amp without blowing up something. You'd think the designers would have done their due diligence to trouble-shoot their product before releasing it to the general public with their ready-to-spend, hard-earned cash.

May 29, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #10,451 of 42,298

Quote:

Interesting...

May 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #10,452 of 42,298
I was just saying to Icenine if he wanted a multimeter they can be had for like $20 to $40 really not all that expensive and not a bad idea to have for all the people here.  I'm not suggesting in anyway that it is required, but if we are all going to own tube amps and tube testers, etc, a multimeter isn't a bad tool to have as well, just IMO.  If for nothing else even just to check the wall socket voltage.  Realistically I think if you have a decent surge protector, your tube equipment is in general safe, although the power grid can be a nightmare especially in older areas that are more heavily populated.

May 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #10,453 of 42,298

Quote:
I was just saying to Icenine if he wanted a multimeter they can be had for like $20 to $40 really not all that expensive and not a bad idea to have for all the people here.  I'm not suggesting in anyway that it is required, but if we are all going to own tube amps and tube testers, etc, a multimeter isn't a bad tool to have as well, just IMO.  If for nothing else even just to check the wall socket voltage.  Realistically I think if you have a decent surge protector, your tube equipment is in general safe, although the power grid can be a nightmare especially in older areas that are more heavily populated.

You're got a point there. Thanks for clarifying it. It is always good to have the right tools on hand to narrow down the culprit (even more).

May 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #10,454 of 42,298
Mike-

Sorry to hear about your EML.  I had 2 of them blow in the same fashion (they were the older version).  I've had the 3rd (newer version) for about 5-6 months but haven't changed any tubes as the first 2 EML's blew after doing a tube change.  It could just be coincidence but I love the sound of the EML and don't want to be without it for another 1-2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back