Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #10,126 of 42,298
Just got an email from Jack about the ECC32.  He says not to use the tube that it can damage the power supply.  Here is his exact answer:

Quote:
[size=medium]The ECC32 is not compatible with the WA22. This is a power tube and it draw much higher current. It can damage the power supply.[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]--------------------------[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]www.[/size][size=medium]WooAudio[/size][size=medium].com[/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]Twitter.com/WooAudio[/size][/size]

This is my original emal.

Quote:
[size=12pt]Jack,[/size]

[size=12pt]Several of the guys on Head-fi are using the ECC32 in the WA22's.  The word on them is that they are not a direct replacement of the 6SN7 and they have about 50% more gain.[/size]

[size=12pt]I'm running with the new EML 5U4G rectifier, GEC 6AS7G power and TungSol BGRP for drivers.  I am wondering if you think it's ok for me to put the ECC32's in.  None of the guys are reporting any problems, but there is a question that the tubes can wear out the transformers.  I don't know enough about electronics to understand this, and I am hoping you could tell me if there are problems or not using this tube.[/size]

[size=12pt]Thank you.[/size]

I've pulled mine.

Thoughts?

May 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #10,127 of 42,298
Quote:
Just got an email from Jack about the ECC32.  He says not to use the tube that it can damage the power supply.  Here is his exact answer:

This is my original emal.

I've pulled mine.

Thoughts?

I use them.  His tube compatibility chart has them in there.  I also told him that I was going to use them and he said nothing to me.  

May 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #10,128 of 42,298

Quote:
Exactly, K701 is my favourite headphones even with Benchmark DAC1 headamp. Well, with WA5 K701 sounds awesome, K1K are much much better when you have perfect listening conditions.

I have to try some test with k701 with H/L impedance jack. Till now I use only HIJ because LIJ is rated <=40ohm if I can remember that correctly.

If correct that clears a few things up.

Quote:
Quote:

I use them.  His tube compatibility chart has them in there.  I also told him that I was going to use them and he said nothing to me.  

OTOH this is getting muddier.

May 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #10,129 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I'd imagine if Mike just got a reply from Jack to his question about the ECC32 and the WA22 then that is Jack's current view on that compatibility issue. How old is Jack's compatibility chart anyway? So he needs to update his chart because I'd hate for WA22 owners to run the risk of shortening the life of their WA22 because of an incorrect chart.

May 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #10,130 of 42,298

Quote:
I'd imagine if Mike just got a reply from Jack to his question about the ECC32 and the WA22 then that is Jack's current view on that compatibility issue. How old is Jack's compatibility chart anyway? So he needs to update his chart because I'd hate for WA22 owners to run the risk of shortening the life of their WA22 because of an incorrect chart.

I asked him to reconfirm - which was an odd feeling asking the guy who builds your amp to please check again.  But, I did email him back and said the ECC32 was on the compatibility chart.  I have yet to hear back from him.  I'll post if I get an answer.

He also answered my question about running my HD800's on the low setting:

Quote:
[size=medium]There is no harm at all using any impedance setting.[/size]

[size=medium]--------------------------[/size]
[size=medium]www.[/size][size=medium]WooAudio[/size][size=medium].com[/size]
[size=11pt]Twitter.com/WooAudio[/size]

May 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #10,131 of 42,298
Had a very good morning. Made some coffee, sat down to drink it and wake up and there was an NOS pair of matched Tung-sol 7236 power tubes on E-bay. Couldnt Paypal those quick enough. My WA22 will like those. Its gonna be a good day.

I looked at the ECC32 drivers. Decided they were way to much $$$. Ended up going with an STC 6SN7GT NOS pair. Still waiting for those. The guy has 2 pair left.

May 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #10,132 of 42,298

Quote:
I asked him to reconfirm - which was an odd feeling asking the guy who builds your amp to please check again.  But, I did email him back and said the ECC32 was on the compatibility chart.  I have yet to hear back from him.  I'll post if I get an answer.

Well there was a time when the WA6SE could not use a tube that the WA6 could (I've forgotten which mini tube that was). Then he changed the WA6SE later on to accommodate that tube. I also know that the Leben CS300XS's headphone output has also gone through a change which rendered a once-compatible headphone incompatible.
blink.gif

I find change irksome--sometimes.
blink.gif
And then again... there's a new Woo on the horizon! MORE change!
Mike, I will hide your wallet from you if you hide mine from me!
I think that SilentOne's wallet has made quite a few rounds these past months.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #10,133 of 42,298
My understanding of Woo products is that they are over designed by a pretty large factor.

May 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #10,134 of 42,298

Quote:
Well there was a time when the WA6SE could not use a tube that the WA6 could (I've forgotten which mini tube that was). Then he changed the WA6SE later on to accommodate that tube. I also know that the Leben CS300XS's headphone output has also gone through a change which rendered a once-compatible headphone incompatible.
blink.gif

I find change irksome--sometimes.
blink.gif
And then again... there's a new Woo on the horizon! MORE change!
Mike, I will hide your wallet from you if you hide mine from me!
I think that SilentOne's wallet has made quite a few rounds these past months.
biggrin.gif

Ok, I'll hide your wallet if you hide mine.

New Woo on the horizon?  Do tell!

May 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #10,135 of 42,298
Hm, thank you. I am wondering IF it is save to use ecc32 with WA5/WA5-LE. As I said before I noticed increasing heat from both PSU and AMP.

Hope that Jack'll take a look and revise the tube compatibility chart.

Quote:

May 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #10,136 of 42,298
Umbilical cord question...

Hey friends, 
I'm building a shelf for my audio gear... I'm thinking putting the two units of my 6SE on top of each other by ordering a long umbilical cord. What I was wondering was... would a longer umbilical cord.. say 20", hurt the sound of my woo?? 

May 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #10,137 of 42,298

Quote:
Ok, I'll hide your wallet if you hide mine.

New Woo on the horizon?  Do tell!

A mention on page 650 of this thread.
An excerpt from this interview with Jack Wu from Positive Feedback ISSUE 55:

[size=x-small]JW[/size][size=x-small] We are very excited about the high-end headphone market (and associated products) as it continues to have respectable growth and sales opportunities. MP3 and hi-definition music will each play a major role. We expect to see a range of both economical and higher quality listening solutions. With that in mind, we have a long-term vision and commitment to an end-to-end Woo Audio headphone system.[/size]

[size=x-small]In a few months, our new DAC and CD Transport will be announced to the public. Probably in parallel, you will also see a new monoblock headphone/speaker amplifier. We are thrilled to introduce this new amplifier to our customers. It combines breakthrough innovation and much improved key components. Finally, but not least, we plan on introducing a high-end headphone to the market. This has always been my dream and we are elated that this will soon be a reality! [/size]

May 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #10,138 of 42,298

Quote:
A mention on page 650 of this thread.
An excerpt from this interview with Jack Wu from Positive Feedback ISSUE 55:

[size=x-small]JW[/size][size=x-small] We are very excited about the high-end headphone market (and associated products) as it continues to have respectable growth and sales opportunities. MP3 and hi-definition music will each play a major role. We expect to see a range of both economical and higher quality listening solutions. With that in mind, we have a long-term vision and commitment to an end-to-end Woo Audio headphone system.[/size]

[size=x-small]In a few months, our new DAC and CD Transport will be announced to the public. Probably in parallel, you will also see a new monoblock headphone/speaker amplifier. We are thrilled to introduce this new amplifier to our customers. It combines breakthrough innovation and much improved key components. Finally, but not least, we plan on introducing a high-end headphone to the market. This has always been my dream and we are elated that this will soon be a reality! [/size]

Oh no.  Yes, it's hide the wallet time.

May 21, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #10,139 of 42,298
sometimes people forget than an ECC32 is NOT the same as an ECC33. The ECC33 is exactly equivalent to the 6SN7 and can be used in any 6SN7 application. The ECC32 is a totally different tube, which has the identical pin-out as the 6SN7, and reasonably close operating parameters, but lower transconductance, and HIGHER heater current draw. Where I have known it was safe to use, like in the RSA Stealth, and my modded/restored Singlepower amp, it was terrific. But the power transformer has to allow for almost a full additional amp of current draw for a pair of ECC32's. That may not always be the case, especially in combination with other tubes that may be on the high side of the range of what's allowed.

May 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #10,140 of 42,298

Quote:
sometimes people forget than an ECC32 is NOT the same as an ECC33. The ECC33 is exactly equivalent to the 6SN7 and can be used in any 6SN7 application. The ECC32 is a totally different tube, which has the identical pin-out as the 6SN7, and reasonably close operating parameters, but lower transconductance, and HIGHER heater current draw. Where I have known it was safe to use, like in the RSA Stealth, and my modded/restored Singlepower amp, it was terrific. But the power transformer has to allow for almost a full additional amp of current draw for a pair of ECC32's. That may not always be the case, especially in combination with other tubes that may be on the high side of the range of what's allowed.

Sky,

This makes sense, expecially since Jack said it can damage the power supply, not it will damage the power supply.

So if I was running my WA22 with GEC 6AS7G power tubes with an EML 5U4G rectifier, would the ECC32 be safe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back