Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #9,796 of 42,298
So... which one of you grabbed this WA22 from the 'gon yesterday? :)

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1309733417&/Woo-Audio-WA22-steal-this

May 5, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #9,797 of 42,298

Quote:
So... which one of you grabbed this WA22 from the 'gon yesterday?
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1309733417&/Woo-Audio-WA22-steal-this

"Not I" said the Woo from Woo-ville.

May 5, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #9,799 of 42,298
May 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #9,800 of 42,298

Quote:

RRRRRight, that was my point. Because we've seen his past work with Mono Blocks and custom designs, we now know he was being coy. Sometimes, when one is being guarded with info close to the vest, best strategy is not to comment. Because often what isn't said can be just as revealing.

Can you imagine the innocent inquiries line-workers and secretaries get from visiting reps in Silicon Valley? There, no inquiry can be too innocent. Either get 'em talking or keep 'em talking.

In keeping with today's theme of looking back, I'm now wondering over lunch, what will the lush tones of Astrud Gilberto sound like through my new balanced D7000... with a balanced source and WA22. Hmmmm, might have to take you or Mike Malter out to eat so I could get in a 45 minute listening session...

biggrin.gif

Silent One,  any time you want to come by, let me know.  I work out of my home office, so you are welcomed to come by for a listen.

May 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #9,802 of 42,298

Quote:
They added this picture since first posting the WA22 for sale.    The caption says part of a former collection 3 weeks ago.  Check out the amps this guy has!

http://pic5.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/image?ampstran&1309733417&pic&class&i/c/f/1304549481.jpg&Woo-Audio-WA22

Very interesting. He says that his reason for selling is that he is totally getting out of headphones and doesn't enjoy that niche of the market anymore. I wonder how long his love for headphones and hp amps lasted before kicking them out the door.

May 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #9,803 of 42,298
I'm voting obsession then bored then sale.  Even if I got tired of the headphone thing opposed to a mega rig I would keep at least one headphone rig.

May 5, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #9,804 of 42,298

Quote:
Totally agree and my Dad taught me this order when the first time I learnt how to operate his system a long time ago and that never fail since.

Power down revisited.

FWIW - I stand corrected. I did not accurately recall my sequence and in fact power down amp first, dac, music server. My system has been down for two weeks awaiting upgrades - bridge, cables & headphones, so memory did not serve me well.

Thanks to the comments that followed, I began to second guess just how did I power down?! Then I recalled my new amp last summer running hot as the Devil; shutting it down quickly was my natural instinct and fell into that routine. Never got a proper brief on handling vacuum tube amps.

Still, I needed a confirmation last night and fired off a midnight message to Woo Audio. Jack confirmed with the components in my system, my power up & down sequence is correct.

May 5, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #9,805 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm voting obsession then bored then sale.  Even if I got tired of the headphone thing opposed to a mega rig I would keep at least one headphone rig.

Because of his strong interest (obsession), I bet his audio log (journal) would be a fantastic read! May he read this thread and publish for our entertainment.

May 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #9,806 of 42,298

Quote:
Silent One,  any time you want to come by, let me know.  I work out of my home office, so you are welcomed to come by for a listen.

Thanks kindly, sir. Good thing I sprung for the single-ended adapter. Otherwise, my balanced Denons would be all dressed up with no place to go. A couple of months back, I was hangin' out in Oakland-Berkeley-Richmond. And no sooner than I saw the exit for the S.R. Bridge I thought "Now, what could he be listening to?"

Currently fascinated with making a trip to Santa Rosa Farmer's Market. Dominique Cortara of Dominique's Sweets will be selling her renowned Macarons there. She's French trained (Le Cordon Bleu - Paris) and a contact highly recommends indulging. I could always have them 'overnighted' but then, life is about good people and experiences. Take you and your gear for example...  
biggrin.gif

Did you ever get your system resolved? I remember you had issues with chemistry, brightness and such.

May 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #9,807 of 42,298
I've unplugged my receiver, tape player and old CD player and put them in another room to rule out any interference from those sources. (I was having an issue with my WA6 SE that seemed to be connected to turning the receiver on and off that the amp was sitting on...with the sound problems seeming to happen when the receiver was off?)

This is my chain: Emotiva ERC-2>WA6 SE>RS1i. (Connected with Emotiva X-series interconnects and X-series AC power cord that's plugged into a surge protector along with the CDP and a floor lamp...and the ERC-2 on a wood table next to the amp.)

I'm getting ready to give it a try and hope the problem resolves (the problem being muffled, muddy bass and vocals, etc.). If not I may need your help!
confused_face.gif

May 5, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #9,808 of 42,298

Quote:
I'll tell you something else my amp seems to care about and that's the old Pioneer receiver I have it sitting on (but not for long).

I was getting that really muffled, distorted, muddy sound so I decided to compare the sound to my receiver's hp jack.

I turned on the receiver, tried the hp jack and then went back to the WA6. The distortion was gone.

It seems as though the WA6 is picking up something from the receiver in stand by mode. But when the receiver is turned on...the distortion goes away.

Does this sound crazy to you guys?

IMO it would be best to not have the WA6SE on or right next to other gear.  It is possibly picking up RF interference, which tubes definitely will do, or the powersupply/transformer in the receiver could be the culprit because of the close proximity.  If this doesn't fix it I would look at electrical causes, possibly ground loops.

May 5, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #9,809 of 42,298

Quote:
There are kind of two camps in terms of post-war Japanese tubes.  Some say they are really quite good and will be the next NOS tube craze.  SOme say they were poorly made and not to bother.  I do not have enough of them to have an opinion.  Some of the Matsushita, NEC, and Hitachi tubes I have come across sure looked well made, though.

I have a pair of Raytheon 6EW7 which are made in Japan.  Construction quality is at least as good as the US made tubes of this type I've had.  They sound quite good too, in a different sort of way that is hard to put a finger on.  They give both the impression of being bright and dark at the same time depending upon what is being listened to, seems to me like a very narrow response peak which only appears with the right material.  With the EML 274B they were mellow and revealing most of the time, but too lazy sounding in terms of PRaT.

May 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #9,810 of 42,298
Prepping for this Saturday's Philly area mini-meet.  Gonna have a battle of the kilo-buck Woo amps.

Same source, same cans (HiFiMan HE-500's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back