Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #9,466 of 42,298
Those tube adapters look great but cost a pretty penny.

I wanted to brag about my latest acquisitions.  I just came back from the MIT swapfest and I got four tubes for $40.  One is a Ken Rad 6SN7 black glass (used), and a pair of National Union 6SN7GT black glass (NOS... been wanting to try these for a while).  I also happened to see a Raytheon 6SN7GT box and I was curious as to what was inside.  Well, lo and behold it was a Sylvania 6SN7GT... bad boy?

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #9,467 of 42,298
That's great. How often are these MIT swapfests? Did you get to pick up any good vinyl records?

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #9,468 of 42,298
Quote:
That's great. How often are these MIT swapfests? Did you get to pick up any good vinyl records?

The first one for the season was today, and it's the third Sunday of every month through October.  There weren't many great vinyls this time but next time will probably be better.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #9,469 of 42,298
I have been buying tubes lately like crazy.  I haven't been getting crazy awesome deals, but prices just seem to keep going up.  So I've been picking up some of my favorites while the prices are still manageable.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #9,470 of 42,298
So I thought I'd pick up a pair of 6FD7 and a RCA 5R4GY to start off tube-rolling my WA6 with.  Reached the check-out page at tubedepot.com before I realized that their 6FD7 don't specify brand.  Their product page only says "various brands."  How do I make sure I get, say RCA?  Do you just write what brands you want in the comments section?  

They don't have call-in orders on the weekends so..anyone?

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #9,471 of 42,298
My black WA3 was paid for two days ago - can't wait to receive it :)

Do these things need to be covered when not in use?  And other than that, is there any maintenance to be done on the thing?  How to clean it?  

This is my first tube amp, and on my budget as a full time student, it was a lot of money.  I want to take care of it.  Perhaps I'll even name it...........

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #9,472 of 42,298
Black is a dust magnet, but I just use an air duster or wipe it down when its off.  Woo makes there amps out of Aluminum, and it is quite sturdy.  As far as tube amps go, you try to avoid turning on and off, so usually when you turn it on you try to leave it on for an hour before shutting it off, and vice versa.  I try to avoid plugging and unplugging my phones often, but sometimes some amount of swapping occurs.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #9,473 of 42,298
I would just send an email asking what they have in stock.  When I purchased some 6FD7's a few months ago they only had a couple pairs of generic white box that were suspected to be Sylvania's, you just ask to have best possible pairs and they will do their best for you.

I was delighted to find Sylvania clear-top fat bottles when they showed up.  Sounded fantastic and at 7 bucks a tube you really can't go wrong.  I've been very pleased with TubeDepot purchases; good quality stuff if not a little expensive for some tubes.

Quote:
So I thought I'd pick up a pair of 6FD7 and a RCA 5R4GY to start off tube-rolling my WA6 with.  Reached the check-out page at tubedepot.com before I realized that their 6FD7 don't specify brand.  Their product page only says "various brands."  How do I make sure I get, say RCA?  Do you just write what brands you want in the comments section?  

They don't have call-in orders on the weekends so..anyone?

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #9,474 of 42,298
Quote:
I would just send an email asking what they have in stock.  When I purchased some 6FD7's a few months ago they only had a couple pairs of generic white box that were suspected to be Sylvania's, you just ask to have best possible pairs and they will do their best for you.

I was delighted to find Sylvania clear-top fat bottles when they showed up.  Sounded fantastic and at 7 bucks a tube you really can't go wrong.  I've been very pleased with TubeDepot purchases; good quality stuff if not a little expensive for some tubes.

Thanks, if I don't get through to them on the phone tomorrow, I'll give that a shot.

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #9,475 of 42,298

Quote:
My black WA3 was paid for two days ago - can't wait to receive it :)

Do these things need to be covered when not in use?  And other than that, is there any maintenance to be done on the thing?  How to clean it?  

This is my first tube amp, and on my budget as a full time student, it was a lot of money.  I want to take care of it.  Perhaps I'll even name it...........

I had a couple of custom covers made for my SE at Tap Plastics to keep the dust out.  I designed them so I don't have to unplug anything and I can get them on and off easily but they keep the dust out of the amp.  The main reason I had them made was that I worried about the tubes getting damaged when the cleaning ladies come to the house... they do a great job cleaning but I'd rather they don't polish my Princess Sophia!

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, if I don't get through to them on the phone tomorrow, I'll give that a shot.

I think most of these places will work with emails like this.  I usually use an e-mail to specify what I am after with Jim at http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com and he lets me know what he has in stock, prices, etc... and puts them aside for me.  If he doesn't have it sometimes he can look to get it from his sources.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #9,476 of 42,298
Thanks Wedge.

So I tend to do a lot of listening in the evenings, but it tends to be short sessions interrupted by making dinner, showering, etc.  Is the best idea probably to just turn it on in the evening, then leave it on till I am for sure done with it (meaning it'd be on like 4 hours a night non-stop, and i'd be using it only part of that time).  Otherwise realistically i'd be turning it on an off probably 3-4 times a day - is this bad for it?

Does anyone else have any good ideas for a cheap cover that I could either make or buy inexpensively?  Again, the amp I want to keep nice is a WA3, and its my first tube amp.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9,477 of 42,298
That's what I do, fire up the Woo when I get home and plan to leave it running until I shut down for the night. That is as long as I am going to be home the entire time, I don't like leaving tube amps running when no one is home, and I try to give the rig a break if I reach 8 or so hours, but this isn't typical on a normal evening. The on/off thing is not ideal for your tubes.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #9,478 of 42,298

I was planning on buying the wa2 ... then i considered the wa6se..... then this afternoon I pulled the trigger and ordered the WA22. My decision was driven predominately by users on this forum.  Now my next big decision is whether to buy a hd650 or pony up for a hd800. any advice?

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #9,479 of 42,298

Quote:

I was planning on buying the wa2 ... then i considered the wa6se..... then this afternoon I pulled the trigger and ordered the WA22. My decision was driven predominately by users on this forum.  Now my next big decision is whether to buy a hd650 or pony up for a hd800. any advice?

Congrats..................Smoken Panama Red!

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #9,480 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I won't recommend buying at tubedepot. Just like you, I was looking for 6FD7 about a month ago. I emailed them before buying and they told me they have Sylvania. So I went ahead and bought a pair, specifying the Sylvania as I have confirmed its availability. They sent me Philco instead without informing me. I could have reported them to paypal but it's so much hassle for <$20. I just won't buy from them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back