Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #9,436 of 42,298
Apr 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #9,437 of 42,298

Quote:

+1 all of this is in the digital domain, bits is bits.

There is a bit of logic to the argument that wav is better than flac, although I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, just saying I'm familiar with the argument.  If you are playing flac, then the CPU needs to spin cycles to decompress/decode.  If you're working the CPU for this, it has less bandwidth to attend to the timing of the delivery of the PCM stream.  The bits is bits argument is partially correct.  You can send the correct 1's and 0's, but if the timing is not precise, you get jitter.  For redbook audio, 16 bits needs to be sent every 1/44,100th of a second.

For my Squeezebox application, a perfectly acceptable means of doing this is to do this is to store the music as flac, but have the server do the decoding to PCM, and then the Squeezebox does not need to cycle itself to decompress/decode flac on the client side.  However, this comes at the expense of network traffic, which grows along with the bitrate of the music, so there is a tradeoff.  I'm going to get started with hirez 2496 to a Squeezebox Touch shortly, I'm curious to see if the Squeezebox ethernet can handle raw 2496 PCM.

Interesting stuff, IMO.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #9,439 of 42,298
Has anyone tried Apple Airport Express as a streaming device?  

It's about $80-100.  Outputs 3.5mm optical to a DAC of your choice & can be controlled (indirectly) with an iPod touch as a remote.

(Limited to 44/16 though.)  Still seems like a good buy considering price of iPod touch + A-Exp - $180-200.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #9,440 of 42,298

Quote:

It's about $80-100.  Outputs 3.5mm optical to a DAC of your choice & can be controlled (indirectly) with an iPod touch as a remote.

(Limited to 44/16 though.)  Still seems like a good buy considering price of iPod touch + A-Exp - $180-200.

Yes I have. I feed my Genesis Time Lens with the Toslink output of the Airport Express and I also feed the Coax output of the Squeezbox so I cna actually make an A/B comparison. There is not much of a difference between the too.If any there is a little bit more warmth in the sound out of the Squeezebox but it can be due to the player itself and not the connection.
You need to make sure the sound enhancement option in iTunes is not checked. This option really screw up the sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #9,441 of 42,298
I am also contemplating switching to something like that. However with my music ever growing in 96/24, it'd be hard for me to swtch to that type of system. I'm sure others are in similar mental state. I can't tell the diff between 96/44.1 anyways though. That's another can of worms.

Okay I'm not going to post another again, I like the numbering.

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #9,442 of 42,298

Quote:

I'm another AEX user.  I don't use it for my primary listening, but I have one located near my man throne in the living room where I do a lot of listening from my other equipment.  I think it's a great set up.  I like Itunes for holding my large collection.  Airtunes is perfect for streaming and I control everything from my iPad.  So slick. 

I also like the fact that I can play music where my computer is from the desk top speakers, and stream the same music to two other locations using the AEX and an Apple TV so I get the same tunes playing throughout the house.

I have had no streaming issues, even when network traffic is fairly high (Apple TV synching, iTunes downloading, and internet surfing going on simultaneously).  The music just plays. 

Quality is likely to be an issue for some, but since setting this up I really like the set up and rarely find myself disappointed in the SQ. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #9,443 of 42,298
This is encouraging, definitely want to give AEX a try sometime, if for nothing but the ipod / ipad remote.  Listening on the computer is too distracting, it's hard to keep your focus.  Tends to render all music background music.

Actually, I'm not sure why the quality would suffer, as far as I understand the output is still digital and the DAC is doing the analog conversion.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #9,444 of 42,298
You're right.  I probably made it seem like I there were issues with the SQ, and that's not the case!  It's (as far as I have seen) bit perfect optical 44/16.  I guess I was being cautious with my comments because some folks will be critical because:
1.  44/16 isn't going to cut it for them
2.  Optical is not an option, either because of hardware or preference
3.  If you are pushing something out with a higher rate it must be down sampled on the fly... and for some this is taboo

I would certainly recomend giving it a try.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #9,446 of 42,298
Curious, what DAC would you guys recommend if I'm going with a Logitech Squeezebox Touch, WA6SE, and LCD-2? I've been mainly looking at the Rega DAC, Wryed 4 Sound DAC-1 or 2, PS Audio DLIII, Cary Xciter DAC, but open to other options. 

Music is a little bit of everything, but mainly movie soundtracks, electronic, and symphonic metal. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #9,447 of 42,298
Wow! Have you seen these new Woo Audio 22 photos? New to me at least. There is a twinkle in my eyes. Smitten and in Love all over again.
---->> Woo Hoo, Twenty-Two!!!
Oh, sorry.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #9,448 of 42,298
My jaw just dropped a little, need to pick it up. Makes me wish I had one of those. 
eek.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #9,449 of 42,298
My jaw just dropped a little, need to pick it up. Makes me wish I had one of those. 
eek.gif

I'd love to see a SS amp look that pretty in the dark.

Got my WA2 on right now in my "man-cave" and the glow is intoxicating.

Apr 15, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #9,450 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
eek.gif

I'd love to see a SS amp look that pretty in the dark.

Got my WA2 on right now in my "man-cave" and the glow is intoxicating.

You hit it on the money: intoxicating, the glow of tubes most definitely is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back