Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #9,406 of 42,298
Woo-hoo!

Quote:
Subscribed! My Woo Audio WA6 with PDPS and Sophia Princess rectifier is INCOMING!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #9,408 of 42,298
Wow. How very supportive! Thank you all. I am looking forward to having a proper amp to match my silver Woo Audio T-stand! :wink: Truthfully, I am very excited to try out a WA6 with Sophia Princess tube and PDPS. (The last WA6 that I momentarily afforded during graduate studies has neither.) I will certainly post my impressions once the amp arrives and I find some spare time to indulge.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #9,410 of 42,298

Quote:

Mike - glad it seems to be working out for you.  I listen to lots of Pandora while working and have my music library stored in 2 formats (both of which are playable from the Squeezebox).  I initially rip to FLAC using dBPowerAmp and then convert to ALAC also using dBPowerAmp.  I always play FLAC when using the Squeezebox however it can play the ALAC files also.  The ALAC are for my iDevices. I connect my Touch to the W4S using Coax digital out.  24/96 definitely sounds better but lower resolution also sounds very good to me.  There are some tweaks you can do that disable some features that many think improve the sound.  Check out this link
http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html

Windy,

What a great link, thanks.  I have implemented the non-scripted changes on my Touch already.  Have you done any of the mods in the link?

Also, what about power supplies?  Are you using the standard power supply, or have you upgraded?

I'm going to need to get dBPowerAmp for ripping, and I'll probably rip two copies from CD's just like you; one FLAC for the Squeezebox and one for my iPod.

How much of an improvement is the W4S over the DLIII?

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #9,411 of 42,298

Quote:
Here's a gift for anyone looking to pull the trigger on a Squeezebox Touch.  Crutchfield.com has them on sale for $274 shipped through April 16, and use coupon code 3a825 and you'll get another $20 off.  $254 shipped is as cheap as I've ever seen it.  I ordered one today, got an email with a tracking code saying it had shipped within about an hour.  Doesn't get much better than that...

Oops, missed this.  Nice to see there are deals out there.

Quote:
I have been running the second generation squeezebox for long time. The library is form itunes in WAV and running squeeze server.
I am sending the digital coax output of the squeezbox to a Genesis Time Lens (and before to a Monarchy DIP) from there to a PWD in one system and a Wadia 27 in the other. Nobody has been able to distinguish between the Squeezbox sound and CD out of my transports.

How do you compare the differences between the Time Lens and the DIP?  It's heartening to hear that Squeezebox sound is equivalent to your transport sound.  Did you find there was a breakin period for the Squeezebox?

Quote:
^ And where did you get your Squeezebox Touch? 
wink_face.gif

I got it from the Logitech web site.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #9,412 of 42,298
Need some opinions, should I get the WA6SE/WA6 or Yamamoto HA-02 for the ATH - w1000 ? because all those amps listed would drive a low independce headphone. Kinda in a dilemma now.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #9,413 of 42,298
I was getting a slight random crackle/static from the right channel last night.  I am thinking it might be the 6FD7's that I have been listening to for a week or so now.  I took them out tonight and will treat them to some DeoxIT and possibly light sanding of the post to rule out something simple.  Hoping that might take care of the issue as they are my only set of Sylvania black plate fat bottles and they were sounding quite good with the Sophia rectifier in my 6SE.  I'll definitely be looking to pick up another pair as well.

In the mean time I rolled in a RCA 5R4GYB and Sylvania fat bottle 6EW7's, a combination I've heard can provide a nice smooth sound.  I'm looking forward to giving them some time to see what this new (to me) combination sounds like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #9,414 of 42,298
I did quite a few of the mods.  I did not turn off the screen as I like to have it for navigating.  I have not tried a Linear PS.  There seems to be conflicting info on the web as to whether it would make a difference when the Touch is plugged into a DAC.  I've been tempted a couple of times to give it a shot but so far I've stuck with the supplied PS.  dBPoweramp is a great product for ripping and converting between formats.  I can't really put a number on the improvement between the W4S and the DL3.  I think they both are great and with the Touch connected by digital Coax and with your WA22 I think you'll have great results with either.  If you want to play from your computer I would highly recommend the upgrade over the DL3 though.

Windy,

What a great link, thanks.  I have implemented the non-scripted changes on my Touch already.  Have you done any of the mods in the link?

Also, what about power supplies?  Are you using the standard power supply, or have you upgraded?

I'm going to need to get dBPowerAmp for ripping, and I'll probably rip two copies from CD's just like you; one FLAC for the Squeezebox and one for my iPod.

How much of an improvement is the W4S over the DLIII?

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #9,415 of 42,298

Quote:
I was getting a slight random crackle/static from the right channel last night.  I am thinking it might be the 6FD7's that I have been listening to for a week or so now.  I took them out tonight and will treat them to some DeoxIT and possibly light sanding of the post to rule out something simple.  Hoping that might take care of the issue as they are my only set of Sylvania black plate fat bottles and they were sounding quite good with the Sophia rectifier in my 6SE.  I'll definitely be looking to pick up another pair as well.

In the mean time I rolled in a RCA 5R4GYB and Sylvania fat bottle 6EW7's, a combination I've heard can provide a nice smooth sound.  I'm looking forward to giving them some time to see what this new (to me) combination sounds like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cleaning the pins is a good first step.  I prefer steel wool personally as it returns a shine to the metal without introducing a coarse finish.  If you roll a bit in your hand then loop it around the pin and work back and forth it works really well, but its important to clean the tube well afterwards.  A stray piece touching two pins when inserted back in the amp would lead to bad things.

The 5R4 should be a lot more laid back than the Sophia, but it might sound edgy during the first couple dozen hours if the tube is NOS.  If you find it gives up too much in dynamics and PRaT to the Sophia just hang in there, this actually improves a bit eventually.  I though the RCA 5R4 sounded kind of slow and plodding for the first month I used it, but it grew out of it so to speak.  A bit of that might have been *me* breaking in too, but the overall opinion has held over time as I've compared it to other rectifiers.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #9,416 of 42,298
Mike, 
To be honest I did not hear much of a difference between the DIP Classic and the Time Lens. Clearly not as much as the difference in price. If you already have the DIP stay with it IMO. No, I did not noticed any change during the Burn-in process. The biggest difference was using the Digital out instead of the analog in the DIP. I was also having a lot of drop outs of the signal when I was going wireless with the DIP. I changed my Linksys routed for a Apple Extreme and I added two Apple Express near my two Squeezeboxes to extend the network then I went Ethernet from the Airport Extreme to the DIP and voila! No more drop outs.

I also made a comparison between the coax output of the Squeezebox and the Toslink output of the Airport Express. Both signal going into the Time Lens and the to the PWD. Using the same iTunes library but one using iTunes and the other the Squeezeserver. IMO the signal out of the Squeezeserver sounded better. It sounded more analog and natural.

I know 3 different people including me that have made "blind" tests between AppleLossless, AIFC and WAV. We all came out with the same conclusion. In our opinion the best sound of those 3 is using WAV and the AIFC and the AppleLossles. The former sounds good but the WAV provide better body and texture to the sound. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #9,417 of 42,298

Quote:
Mike, 
To be honest I did not hear much of a difference between the DIP Classic and the Time Lens. Clearly not as much as the difference in price. If you already have the DIP stay with it IMO. No, I did not noticed any change during the Burn-in process. The biggest difference was using the Digital out instead of the analog in the DIP. I was also having a lot of drop outs of the signal when I was going wireless with the DIP. I changed my Linksys routed for a Apple Extreme and I added two Apple Express near my two Squeezeboxes to extend the network then I went Ethernet from the Airport Extreme to the DIP and voila! No more drop outs.

I also made a comparison between the coax output of the Squeezebox and the Toslink output of the Airport Express. Both signal going into the Time Lens and the to the PWD. Using the same iTunes library but one using iTunes and the other the Squeezeserver. IMO the signal out of the Squeezeserver sounded better. It sounded more analog and natural.

I know 3 different people including me that have made "blind" tests between AppleLossless, AIFC and WAV. We all came out with the same conclusion. In our opinion the best sound of those 3 is using WAV and the AIFC and the AppleLossles. The former sounds good but the WAV provide better body and texture to the sound. 

What settings on the Genesis Digital Lens for a SQ change with a Squeezebox ? If I could ask you musicman59?

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #9,418 of 42,298
Quote:
imo what you are hearing is the Woo sound signature. I own both the WA6SE max and the WA5LE max++. Yes the WA5LE blows away my WA6SE but they both have the same sound signature.

Go to Woo Audio web site and E-Mail Jack, tell him what you want to do. Great Guy..

You were so right!  There's enough of the WA6-SE's blood in the WA6, very happy with my purchase.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #9,419 of 42,298

Quote:

What settings on the Genesis Digital Lens for a SQ change with a Squeezebox ? If I could ask you musicman59?

The ones I like are D1 and 20 bit.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #9,420 of 42,298
Thanks for the tip on the steel wool.  I will defintiely give that a go.  Seems a better way to get around to the inside of the small pins too! 

I didn't get much time listening last night... basically I was Woo'ed to sleep
wink.gif
  The 5R4 is NOS.  I will be sure to give the combination the time it needs either break in, get myself adjusted to it, or both.

Quote:
Cleaning the pins is a good first step.  I prefer steel wool personally as it returns a shine to the metal without introducing a coarse finish.  If you roll a bit in your hand then loop it around the pin and work back and forth it works really well, but its important to clean the tube well afterwards.  A stray piece touching two pins when inserted back in the amp would lead to bad things.

The 5R4 should be a lot more laid back than the Sophia, but it might sound edgy during the first couple dozen hours if the tube is NOS.  If you find it gives up too much in dynamics and PRaT to the Sophia just hang in there, this actually improves a bit eventually.  I though the RCA 5R4 sounded kind of slow and plodding for the first month I used it, but it grew out of it so to speak.  A bit of that might have been *me* breaking in too, but the overall opinion has held over time as I've compared it to other rectifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back