Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #9,331 of 42,298
Quote:
Mike,
What do you mean by the iTunes 44.1 hz limitation? My understanding is that iTunes is quite capable of playing higher sample rates. Am I misinformed or missing the point?

Quote:
ITunes now supports 96/24 no problem. It didn't used to, but a while back they added that support.

Sorry guys, I should have been more precise.  My iPod will not support anything over a sample rate of 44.1, Skylab is right, iTunes will support 96/24.   I'm using an iPod and Wadia i170 combo to output a digital signal to my DLIII.  That is what I was referring to when I spoke of the iTunes 44.1 walled garden.  I should have said an iPod 44.1 walled garden.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #9,333 of 42,298

Quote:
Sorry guys, I should have been more precise.  My iPod will not support anything over a sample rate of 44.1, Skylab is right, iTunes will support 96/24.   I'm using an iPod and Wadia i170 combo to output a digital signal to my DLIII.  That is what I was referring to when I spoke of the iTunes 44.1 walled garden.  I should have said an iPod 44.1 walled garden.

Not to continue to be a pest, but I use an iPod + Wadia, and the iPod supports 48K, and will pass that to the Wadia and on to the DAC.  Only 16 bit, though.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #9,335 of 42,298
+1 on PureMusic. I just realized that it saves your place in iTunes when you quit/restart it in regards to song/playlist selection; iTunes alone can't do that.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #9,336 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Mike: I take it you like your WA22 and LCD2 combo? Are you running it balanced out to LCDs or single? I have LCD2s and Oppo 95 with WA22 on order....thoughts?

Finally, someone else with have the WA22/BDP-95 combination (at least on order). I think I read somewhere the LCD-2's require 2W of power to run efficiently. Therefore, based on Woo Audio's website; "Output: 810 mw with 6080, 2 watts with 7236 power tubes" you'll need either 7236 or 5998 power tubes, EML 5U4G (GZ37 also sounds very good for half the price), and I don't care what driver tube (TSRP would be nice though). I think you'll be blown away. Also, I recommend balanced because you are getting double the voltage to the WA22 (1.3 x 2), which is suppose to give you and additional 3db.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #9,337 of 42,298

Quote:
HD800 don't sound bright in my configuration.  Guess I've picked the right combo.    Touch --> W4S DAC2 --> WA22 (GEC 6AS7G, NU, EML 5U4G) --> DHC Clone balanced cable --> HD800.  With the WA22 and my DAC if I could keep only 1 of my headphones I would keep them.  However, I really like the LCD2 also and am using each about 50% of the time.

Mine either. As well, Mike has the same cables (Cardas XLR - I think I read that somewhere?), which really helps to remove any brightness the HD800's do have.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #9,338 of 42,298

Quote:
Golf,

Not at all, and I thank you for your helpful suggestion.  The TSRP brightness was only in the round micas, not the oval micas. My WA22 only sounded bright with the PWD/bridge but not with the DLIII.  However, I did not even think that the WA22 might be the issue, and I'll email Jack and see what he says.

The breakin of the PWD/bridge finished and I could hear its sound signature evolve.  While it became very detailed and revealing, I found that there was just this "something extra" that I don't know what to call that drive me up the wall.  I also found that ultimately the bridge wound up to be superior to coax.

One of the other guys here who has a DLIII and PWD/bridge, by way of example, talked about a harshness in the DLIII when he sets it at 192, but that is not there at 96, and the PWD is somewhere in between the 96 and 192 setting.  This is my experience too.  With the EML, TSRP and GEC6AS7G and HD800 combination being fed by my DLIII, I find the detail to be similiar to what the PWD/bridge delivers, but that "something extra" thing is not there, and my experience of the music is something that is detaled, with bass heft, tonaly correct and natural.

I think that SS has a very good idea about trying an Oppo since I am looking to break out of the iTunes walled garden 44.1 Hz limitation.  One of the guys here says he has a Wilson Audio setup and it wasn't until he added the Oppo into the mix that he was able to get past a harshness issue and into the music.  That it has a LAN connection is a definate plus as I can feed it directly from a media server.  The W4S dac has the same chip, but to listen to hirez music you need to feed it through a computer's sound card, and I'd like to get away from that.  I might take a step back and look at something like the Logitec SqueezeBox as it has a digital output that I can feed into my Monarchy DIP and then into any DAC to a W4S is a candidate.  Maybe if other's know of a really good, musical server with a digital output, I'd love to hear about it.

From the little I was able to hear of 96 and above music, it is worth the hassle of trying to find the right DAC/Media Server Appliance combination.  I used to be a strict CD guy, but I find that I really love haveing complete access to my entire music collection and then playing it at random.

Again, thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate you taking the time to put something out there that would benefit me.

EDIT: After posting this, I went looking for the guy with the Wilson Audio setup to thank him for sharing his Oppo experience, and what do you know, but it was you Golf!

I don't want to come off sounding like some kind of Oppo Fanboy.  There are better sources out there, but for $1k you really do get a lot for your money.  The 95 plays up to 24/192 hirez files.  I've downloaded the samples from HDTracks and they're probably the best recordings I've ever heard. I don't like the interface on the 95 either. You need something to view the menu, which will allow you to select files via the network connection (I use my computer monitor). Sometimes I find it slow as well.  I think you can play songs randomly, but that might depend on how you've loaded your files on the network (1 folder vs multiple folders)

I've never hooked the 95 up to my HT system. I use the BDP-83 in that system. I was just comparing the sound of the HD800/WA22/BDP-95 with my HT, and the HT system doesn't come close for music.  I just find it difficult to sit there for more then 1-2 hours without getting some type of listening fatigue.  With the Headphones, I can listen to them for 40hrs/week and still want more.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9,339 of 42,298

Quote:

Finally, someone else with have the WA22/BDP-95 combination (at least on order). I think I read somewhere the LCD-2's require 2W of power to run efficiently. Therefore, based on Woo Audio's website; "Output: 810 mw with 6080, 2 watts with 7236 power tubes" you'll need either 7236 or 5998 power tubes, EML 5U4G (GZ37 also sounds very good for half the price), and I don't care what driver tube (TSRP would be nice though). I think you'll be blown away. Also, I recommend balanced because you are getting double the voltage to the WA22 (1.3 x 2), which is suppose to give you and additional 3db.

Outstanding!  Great to hear; was worried I would have to go with WA5LE.   I have the 7236 upgrade on order as well--sounds like Oppo95>WA22>LCD-2 via balanced is a "keeper"!  Didn't have the EMLs coming though...may have to add that.

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #9,340 of 42,298

Quote:
Outstanding!  Great to hear; was worried I would have to go with WA5LE.   I have the 7236 upgrade on order as well--sounds like Oppo95>WA22>LCD-2 via balanced is a "keeper"!  Didn't have the EMLs coming though...may have to add that.

I agree with the balanced outs the Oppo sounds like a great match for the WA22. Just remember that you only need one rectifier for it
wink_face.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #9,341 of 42,298

Quote:

I agree with the balanced outs the Oppo sounds like a great match for the WA22. Just remember that you only need one rectifier for it
wink_face.gif

Yes that's right the Oppo BD-95 is a great match with a higher end Woo like the WA22 with its balanced XLR 2Ch analog outs. But for your HE-6's the WA22 will not power the HE-6's very well, you would have to go to a WA5/LE for the HE-6's. And yes the BD-95 and the HE-6 is a great match with the WA5/LE.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #9,342 of 42,298

Quote:
Not to continue to be a pest, but I use an iPod + Wadia, and the iPod supports 48K, and will pass that to the Wadia and on to the DAC.  Only 16 bit, though.

Not a pest at all.  We should have the right stuff out there to keep everything clear.  Yes, 48 Hz is supported.  I have not tried 48.  How does it compare to 41?  What formats have you used?

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #9,343 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Mike: I take it you like your WA22 and LCD2 combo? Are you running it balanced out to LCDs or single? I have LCD2s and Oppo 95 with WA22 on order....thoughts?

I love my WA22.  I am running balanced, however there has been some discussion that the type of output to your headphones is not as much of a concern as input in.  I think its universally agreed that balanced in makes a big difference.  Have not heard the Oppo 95, but there are people here who swear by it, and it comes highly recommended by credible people.

When did you place your order?

Also, there are some really great tube rolling posts here, so after you get your WA22 fired up and settled down, you might want to check those posts out.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #9,344 of 42,298

Quote:
I don't want to come off sounding like some kind of Oppo Fanboy.  There are better sources out there, but for $1k you really do get a lot for your money.  The 95 plays up to 24/192 hirez files.  I've downloaded the samples from HDTracks and they're probably the best recordings I've ever heard. I don't like the interface on the 95 either. You need something to view the menu, which will allow you to select files via the network connection (I use my computer monitor). Sometimes I find it slow as well.  I think you can play songs randomly, but that might depend on how you've loaded your files on the network (1 folder vs multiple folders)

I've never hooked the 95 up to my HT system. I use the BDP-83 in that system. I was just comparing the sound of the HD800/WA22/BDP-95 with my HT, and the HT system doesn't come close for music.  I just find it difficult to sit there for more then 1-2 hours without getting some type of listening fatigue.  With the Headphones, I can listen to them for 40hrs/week and still want more.

I just realized that the Oppo has a DAC, and I am really looking for an appliance I can attach to my network that can transport digital files via coax to my DAC.  I think that I'm going to look for just the, I don't even know what you call it, a digital media transport like a Roku or a Logitech SqueezeBox.  I'm looking for something high quality.  I actually have a Roku from 3 years ago that I just dusted off and am playing Radio Paradise on it, and I think I am on to something.  I'm looking at the SqueezeBox as it will play iTunes files as well as up to 24/96.  I would rather have something that will do 192/24 and beyond, but I'm not sure if something like that is out there.  Maybe someone here will know.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #9,345 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes that's right the Oppo BD-95 is a great match with a higher end Woo like the WA22 with its balanced XLR 2Ch analog outs. But for your HE-6's the WA22 will not power the HE-6's very well, you would have to go to a WA5/LE for the HE-6's. And yes the BD-95 and the HE-6 is a great match with the WA5/LE.

I know, the WA22 will never drive the HE-6 properly even with the higher voltage out of the 95's XLRs. I also am not interested in an optical transport as I typically rip a CD into lossless and then store it away; I keep my iTunes library on three separate Macs around the house. My WA22 has been converted to dual XLR inputs and they are occupied by a balanced DAC and phono stage. I will keep using my speaker amp rig for the HE-6 and K1000:

Two floors away from my main rig in the attic bedroom: there's a Devilsound v2 cable between the tube buffer stage I just added and the PowerBook, which is running Pure Music/ALAC. ALO-made speaker tap extension to 4-pin XLR to mate with HE-6/KK. It's a balanced SS amp so I could see upgrading to a Havana balanced tube DAC to compliment it but the Devilsound sounds great in this setup so SE in, balanced out for now. My next "upgrade" will most likely be to re-acquire an HD800 for the WA22 rig, as I still have a balanced cable for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back