Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 7, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #9,286 of 42,298

Quote:
Cool, so you can hook up a PWT to the W4S via HDMI.  Interesting.  Have you heard how it sounds?

I noticed the [size=10pt]similarities to the back of the DLIII and W4S.  I just got an email back from the W4S people after posting an email to the Contact Us page of Cullen Circuits.  He said that they are no longer operating.[/size]

I haven't heard one yet and there is about a two-week lead time when ordering one.

No longer operating? W4S is no longer operating? I wonder why. I just spoke to them about a week ago.

EDIT: Sorry. I misread your post. You can no longer order products through Cullen Circuits. That means no more DLIII Mod IVs then. Dagnabit!--that is such a good DAC. But then again--there's the W4S DAC2!

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #9,288 of 42,298
Random question... I remember there used to be a WA4 amp before, and I know that it is currently discontinued... does anyone have any experience with that amp? I'd reckon it wasn't all that great if Jack's decided to discontinue it... 

Just wondering out of curiousity.

Also makes me wonder if we'll ever see a WA1? Or has there been one in the past?

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #9,290 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah, XCalibur, that was one of the better posts I have seen in a while.  Couldn't have said it any better.

To emphasize one point especially, the WA6 offers a unique opportunity for people somewhat new to tube rolling in that the 6DE7, 6EW7, 6FD7, and 6DR7 are, as XCalibur said, pretty cheap.  And not just that, but within each tube type, there are only a few variants.  So you can really experiment a lot for not a lot of money, and this is VERY worth doing.  These tubes are also not hard to roll in and out, so it's cheap, easy, and fun.  Can't beat that!

To be proper, in addition to xcalibur255, the other informative guiding posts came from the likes of you, dannie01, takezo, sillysally and a few others while awaiting delivery of 6SE... 
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #9,291 of 42,298
It's fast approaching 12 noon out here on the West Coast. And two very wonderful things are about to happen: Lunch... and lunchtime delivery of a Furutech Fuse!

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #9,292 of 42,298

Quote:
I haven't heard one yet and there is about a two-week lead time when ordering one.

No longer operating? W4S is no longer operating? I wonder why. I just spoke to them about a week ago.

EDIT: Sorry. I misread your post. You can no longer order products through Cullen Circuits. That means no more DLIII Mod IVs then. Dagnabit!--that is such a good DAC. But then again--there's the W4S DAC2!

I just got another email from the W4S guys, and maybe you already know this, EJ Sarmento the owner of W4S worked for Cullen Curcits for a few years before starting W4S.  And now Rick Cullen is working for them!

Also he says that the PWT will output to the CAD-2 via the i2s and works very well.

Are you getting a W4S dac?

Quote:
Yes I think you are correct about coming from PS Audio. and that DAC uses the Sabre 32 ES9018 DAC, imo the ES9018 really compliments a tube amp in all areas.

SS, do you think the chip in the W4S DAC is better than the one in the PWD for tubed headphone output?  In your thinking, can the chip very much shape a sound profile of a DAC?  I'm asking because when listening to the DLIII, the set of tubes I love do not sound as good when listening to the PWD, and the tube set that sounds good for the PWD does not sound good with the DLIII.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #9,294 of 42,298

Quote:
Xcalibur, would you recommend 6SN7 adapter route for Wa 6SE?

Jack doesn't officially condone it the way he does for the WA6, but a number of owners here are doing it without trouble.  There is no danger to the amp per se, but rather to the 6SN7 tubes which experience a very short life in the amp without a couple of tweaks.  Glenn makes adapters with a couple of resistors built into them designed to make the tube safe for use on the SE, and at least one member I talk with regularly has used them full time for close to a year now without any problems.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #9,296 of 42,298
Anyone currently online know which direction a Furutech fuse should be installed? No arrow, no idea. Trying it both ways but way too much environmental noises, vibrations and activities (internal/external) this time of day for critical listening...

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #9,297 of 42,298

Quote:
Anyone currently online know which direction a Furutech fuse should be installed? No arrow, no idea. Trying it both ways but way too much environmental noises, vibrations and activities (internal/external) this time of day for critical listening...

Perhaps it doesn't matter with that particular fuse you have.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #9,298 of 42,298
Mike--yes I was thinking of getting a W4S DAC2 about a few weeks ago. But with the cost of California taxes, shipping, etc. the total was around $1800. (Well that never stopped me before.) I decided to put it off until maybe the Summer.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #9,299 of 42,298

Quote:
Mike--yes I was thinking of getting a W4S DAC2 about a few weeks ago. But with the cost of California taxes, shipping, etc. the total was around $1800. (Well that never stopped me before.) I decided to put it off until maybe the Summer.

What DAC are you running now?

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #9,300 of 42,298
I am running the PS Audio DLIII + IV Cullen Mods. I also from time to time use the MHDT Havana DAC with the JJ 6386 LPG tube. To my ear I prefer the DLIII when driving speakers and the MHDT while listening to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back