Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #8,956 of 42,298

Quote:
........................Tube Cube.........................................I'm going to see if they make a mini version.  Nice...........

They have a smaller version, I have one.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #8,957 of 42,298
Mar 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #8,959 of 42,298
Mar 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #8,960 of 42,298

Quote:

Jack also had that one in CanJam. It is not a transport. it is a full blown CD player tube based from the same company of the Dac/Transport combo I posted the link for. The CD player is is th emodel CD-9iiT and reatial for $1,499. The combo is the Amadeus 10th anniversary edition and retails for $2,499.

I tried both and they are very nice.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #8,962 of 42,298
I just acquired a bunch of old rectifier tubes and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
The most interesting (at first glance anyway) is a USAF labeled RCA 5U4G (Not GB). I also have one Raytheon, one Tung-Sol, and two Westinghouse 5U4GB tubes. Anyone know if any of these worth my attention?

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #8,963 of 42,298

Quote:
I just acquired a bunch of old rectifier tubes and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them.
The most interesting (at first glance anyway) is a USAF labeled RCA 5U4G (Not GB). I also have one Raytheon, one Tung-Sol, and two Westinghouse 5U4GB tubes. Anyone know if any of these worth my attention?

The RCA 5U4G tube should be an ST-shaped tube or coke bottle tube. The GA and GB tubes are straight-bottle tubes. I have been read that RCA made a lot of the 5U4G tubes for other brands as well. This is what AudioTubes.com says about the RCA 5U4G: This is the classic coke bottle shape (ST) rectifier tube. Great RCA tube, considered the best ever made of the "G" or ST shape 5U4 tubes, just recently has become very difficult to find and keep in stock. You can find out more about the 5U4G/GA/GB tubes at AudioTubes.com. Brent Jessee really knows his tubes.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #8,964 of 42,298
Ahh thanks. I'll give that a bit of time in my WA6 and see how I like it. Cheers

Quote:
The RCA 5U4G tube should be an ST-shaped tube or coke bottle tube. The GA and GB tubes are straight-bottle tubes. I have been told that most 5U4G tubes were manufactured by RCA. This is what AudioTubes.com says about the RCA 5U4G: This is the classic coke bottle shape (ST) rectifier tube. Great RCA tube, considered the best ever made of the "G" or ST shape 5U4 tubes, just recently has become very difficult to find and keep in stock. You can find out more about the 5U4G/GA/GB tubes at AudioTubes.com. Brent Jessee really knows his tubes.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #8,965 of 42,298

Quote:
They have a smaller version, I have one.

That's just a Pelican case with their logo silkscreened on the top. Based on a really quick search, it appears to be a Pelican 1550 - $128 at B&H Photo.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #8,966 of 42,298
The one I have is I believe the equivalent to the 1300 series, which runs around 40-45, I paid about $50 for it, since I bought some tube I didn't really mind the extra money.
Quote:
That's just a Pelican case with their logo silkscreened on the top. Based on a really quick search, it appears to be a Pelican 1550 - $128 at B&H Photo.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #8,967 of 42,298
Visited Jack and his father at the NYC meet on Saturday.  Got to hear my LCD-2's (as well as the HE-6's) through the WA5 and the WA22.  Also had my WA6SE there and my very recently purchased Schiit Lyr.  This was Jack's 1st chance to listen to the Lyr...he preferred the Woo.
wink.gif

Based on limited listening in a room of people, the WA5 didn't blow me away with the LCD's...but the WA22 through the 4-pin balanced connection was STUNNING.  Rich & lush yet fast & detailed.  Great dynamic punch.  Wider soundstage than my 6SE delivers.  The LCD-2's through the WA22 was a strong contender for best sound in the show IMO. 

It has the lush sound I've been missing from my WA6SE.  Jack thinks I can get it closer with the Sophia rectifier...may have to try that in the coming weeks. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #8,968 of 42,298

Quote:
Visited Jack and his father at the NYC meet on Saturday.  Got to hear my LCD-2's (as well as the HE-6's) through the WA5 and the WA22.  Also had my WA6SE there and my very recently purchased Schiit Lyr.  This was Jack's 1st chance to listen to the Lyr...he preferred the Woo.
wink.gif

Based on limited listening in a room of people, the WA5 didn't blow me away with the LCD's...but the WA22 through the 4-pin balanced connection was STUNNING.  Rich & lush yet fast & detailed.  Great dynamic punch.  Wider soundstage than my 6SE delivers.  The LCD-2's through the WA22 was a strong contender for best sound in the show IMO. 

It has the lush sound I've been missing from my WA6SE.  Jack thinks I can get it closer with the Sophia rectifier...may have to try that in the coming weeks. 

Thank you for your impressions of the LCD-2.  I am thinking of getting a pair of these.  Was it easy to get a cable with the 4 pin balanced connection?  What cable and connection are you using?

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #8,969 of 42,298
Some photos from the show...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back