Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #8,762 of 42,298
I also wanted to add, connecting the CD player directly to the WA22 have given my the 3D sound that Mikemalter has frequently described.  Led Zeppelin's - Stairway to Heaven has never sounded so good - easily beats any system I've ever listen to. If you're not getting the 3D effect from listening to this song, then your WA22 isn't performing to the best of it's ability.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #8,763 of 42,298
Great news on the GZ37, thanks for the responses. I was not the biggest fan of the Emissions Labs mesh plate a few years ago when I owned a Modwright Transporter but obviously that was a very different piece. Should I go with the WA22 it seems like I need to give it another shot.

BTW, anyone looking for a GZ37 to try I have had pretty good luck with the military version CV593. Nice sounding tube with a large current capability

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #8,765 of 42,298

Quote:
Mike, when you say "play my High Rez music through my WA22 without my computer in the signal chain." do you mean the computer sound card? I ask because this question because I think that you will still need to serve your WAVs or FLACs with some software music server.

You can see from my signature that I use Slim Devices hardware/software as a solution. In my case it still requires a Windows based music server software (SqueezeCenter).

I have heard that people who use windows based systems often rely on Foobar as a software solution. You will still need something more than a hard drive to complete the system. There are of course NAS solutions as well as small atom based hardware that may offer what you want.

I originally just used my laptop as a server, then eventually built a DIY Windows box that sleeps always or plays my music files, then sleeps until more music is requested.

John

John, yes, strictly speaking the computer is in the chain.  What I meant was removing the computer sound card from the equation.  It's good that you raise the issue to add clarity to the discussion.  I'm going to start with using Twonky on the server that has a very large raid array which has our music on it.  Reading more about NAS, no matter which one you get, you still have to have a media player on it.  I'm very much in learning mode now that I'm changing my system architecture to accomodate the PWD's bridge.

Quote:
Quote:
I use software called TwonkyServer on my Mac to serve your music, and got the PS Audio TagNPlay software for iphone/touch/iPad to control and redirect music playback through the bridge.  If you have a PC I'm not sure what to use.  I can't get the eLyric beta to work, or at least I can't see the server music with my TagNPlay and Bridge.

Twonkey work on PC too, this is what I use before I get the QNAP NAS. I highly recommend to use QNAP with PWD, just the power save it worth it already. PC use from 150-250 watts while QNAP is around 20-30 watts.

JC and HA, thanks for your thoughts.  As I mentioned previously, I'm going to start with Twonky as I already have a server on our LAN with a large raid array with all of our music on it.  I'm going to install Twonky on that server and see what happens.  I have been reading the reviews of the QNAP on Amazon, and it is very well liked.  Using Twonky on my server will give me a no cost starting point. 

As I am new to this, I am just beginning to learn.  It seems to me that these NAS boxes are really just servers that must have a media server running on them anyway, so what difference does it make if I use a dedicated NAS, or use an existing server to feed my PWD's bridge.  The server by the way is not heavily used and has a gigabit network card and the music is on a seperate raid array with its on queue in the raid.  So I guess it's like John's DIY box.

Thoughts?

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8,767 of 42,298
     Quote:

John, yes, strictly speaking the computer is in the chain.  What I meant was removing the computer sound card from the equation.  It's good that you raise the issue to add clarity to the discussion.  I'm going to start with using Twonky on the server that has a very large raid array which has our music on it.  Reading more about NAS, no matter which one you get, you still have to have a media player on it.  I'm very much in learning mode now that I'm changing my system architecture to accomodate the PWD's bridge.

JC and HA, thanks for your thoughts.  As I mentioned previously, I'm going to start with Twonky as I already have a server on our LAN with a large raid array with all of our music on it.  I'm going to install Twonky on that server and see what happens.  I have been reading the reviews of the QNAP on Amazon, and it is very well liked.  Using Twonky on my server will give me a no cost starting point. 

As I am new to this, I am just beginning to learn.  It seems to me that these NAS boxes are really just servers that must have a media server running on them anyway, so what difference does it make if I use a dedicated NAS, or use an existing server to feed my PWD's bridge.  The server by the way is not heavily used and has a gigabit network card and the music is on a seperate raid array with its on queue in the raid.  So I guess it's like John's DIY box.

Thoughts?

NAS reduce the noise as it only have a small fan, unlike the computer with multiple fans, cd drives, and other components.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #8,768 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
     Quote:

Thoughts?

NAS reduce the noise as it only have a small fan, unlike the computer with multiple fans, cd drives, and other components.

My LAN is on a rack in the garage away from everyone.  So when you say noise, do you mean noise that the equipment physically makes, or signal noise because there is more stuff at play on the box?

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #8,770 of 42,298
Thanks, Mike~!
It is a useful information for me to reference~!
etysmile.gif

Quote:
I had a WA6SE which I used HD800s and LCD2s with; it handled both very well.  But now I have 2 amps--a Meier Concerto and a WA2.  I use the LCD2s with the Concerto, and the HD800s with the WA2.  

If you are trying to decide between the WA6SE and the WA2 for your LCD2s, I would choose the WA6SE-I don't own the other headphones you mentioned, but I'm guessing the WA6SE might be the all around best choice.  

I love the WA2 as part of my two-amp system, but I don't think I'd want it to be my only amp, considering the headphones I use.  The WA2 does make my HD800s sound better than ever, though.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #8,771 of 42,298

Quote:
Physical equipment noise, when I used my computer as a media server, I did not a slight static when the harddrive spin up

Interesting.  I'll keep my ears open.  I'm probably going to have to ultimately use a NAS, but the DAC and bridge was expensive and I also just got a P5 so, I have to cool it for a while.  After my PWD settles in, I'll put my DLIII up for sale and it will help fund a NAS.  Thanks.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #8,773 of 42,298

Quote:
The QNAP that is dedicated to music cost me around $250 for 2TB. One of the cheapest purchase I made after I joined full size amp side.
biggrin.gif

What is the model number of your QNAP?  Maybe I should go with something very inexpensive to start with to get the best audio right away without having to work through a lot of configuration stuff by configuring an existing server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back