Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 10, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #8,236 of 42,298

Quote:
Hmm, I'll try that then. Thanks. I don't believe they are shielded. For me though the volume knob was at 0 and I could faintly hear the voices. When I turned the knob up, to about 1:00 I just got static and the volume of the voices didn't go up as I turned the knob, it just sorta hit a wall of static at that point.

The BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables should work fine, right?
Quote:
I used to get that all the time with my TA phono stage from Eddie Currrent which was connected to my WA6. But I would have to turn the volume to about 2:00 before it really became noticeable. It turned out to be the cables from my turntable to the phono stage--they were unshielded cables. So I replaced them with shielded cables and now I hear no "voices." I suggest that you replace your interconnects with shielded ones to the WA6 unless they are already shielded. Just my two cents.

The BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables are already shielded so now what's next? I really don't know. But just for the record. I've never heard any radio station on my WA6 except when playing the phono stage AND the voices and static would actually increase with the turn of the volume knob. Try this: either repositioning your WA6 or move it to another room just to see what happens.

Is there a radio broadcast tower near you? If there is, then try moving the tower.
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #8,237 of 42,298
Ok, that sounds good. I live near a college, so I do think they have a tower that they broadcast from. I'll talk to them and see if we can't work things out. If that fails I guess I could try relocating the amp to another room.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm, I'll try that then. Thanks. I don't believe they are shielded. For me though the volume knob was at 0 and I could faintly hear the voices. When I turned the knob up, to about 1:00 I just got static and the volume of the voices didn't go up as I turned the knob, it just sorta hit a wall of static at that point.

The BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables should work fine, right?
Quote:
I used to get that all the time with my TA phono stage from Eddie Currrent which was connected to my WA6. But I would have to turn the volume to about 2:00 before it really became noticeable. It turned out to be the cables from my turntable to the phono stage--they were unshielded cables. So I replaced them with shielded cables and now I hear no "voices." I suggest that you replace your interconnects with shielded ones to the WA6 unless they are already shielded. Just my two cents.

The BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables are already shielded so now what's next? I really don't know. But just for the record. I've never heard any radio station on my WA6 except when playing the phono stage AND the voices and static would actually increase with the turn of the volume knob. Try this: either repositioning your WA6 or move it to another room just to see what happens.

Is there a radio broadcast tower near you? If there is, then try moving the tower.
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #8,238 of 42,298
If someone is using the Woo Headphone amplifier, how important is a DAC. I am slowly reading all the posts on this thread, and a lot of people's DAC are under $800. So how important is the DAC? I know its important but is the sound coming out of the headphones more do to the headphone amplifier or the DAC. I know the headphones make a difference too. 

I am a newbie to all this audiophile grade equipment. Right now I listen to my flac music files through my AKG k702's through either my laptops headphone jacks or the cheap jack in the small computer speakers connected to the laptop. I was amazed how much more you hear just when I switched from crappy mp3's to lossless flac files. I want to upgrade my sound system. I am think of getting a Woo headphone amplifier, don't know which one yet, maybe the Woo 6SE, but you need a DAC in between the amp and the source. This is the reason of me asking how important is the DAC. I will be driving 96 and 192 khz files as well, I have very few but will be getting more. I am hoping in the future in getting another set of headphones as well. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #8,239 of 42,298
Start with the amp and then add a DAC later to fully appreciate the improvement that it brings. IMHO you can get a pretty decent DAC for less than you may think and it will still be a significant upgrade.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #8,241 of 42,298
Quote:Originally Posted by wickitom 

"Thanks for the reply, if I do get headphone amp first, a Woo for example, how do I connect one to the laptop."

Ideally the amp will receive it's input from a DAC. If your DAC has a USB input you can just run the USB from the laptop to the DAC. If the DAC doesn't accept USB you can use a USB/SPDIF converter. Then from the DAC you would use interconnects to the amp.

Laptop > USB > DAC > interconnect > amp

Laptop > USB > USB/SPDIF converter > DAC > interconnect > amp

I hope that helps.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #8,242 of 42,298
Let me add that if you're willing to spend the money on a nice headphone and nice amp, you really need a DAC. If the budget doesn't allow for the amp plus DAC maybe you should adjust the budget or get a different amp that will allow you to afford the DAC. I will say first hand the internal sound card in a laptop is poor sounding. You'll be better off with a cheaper amp plus DAC than just the amp alone. Headphones like the K-70x should be thought of as a system. Each component working together and only as good as it's weakest link. I highly suggest a DAC. It makes a significant difference.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #8,243 of 42,298

Quote:
Let me add that if you're willing to spend the money on a nice headphone and nice amp, you really need a DAC. If the budget doesn't allow for the amp plus DAC maybe you should adjust the budget or get a different amp that will allow you to afford the DAC. I will say first hand the internal sound card in a laptop is poor sounding. You'll be better off with a cheaper amp plus DAC than just the amp alone. Headphones like the K-70x should be thought of as a system. Each component working together and only as good as it's weakest link. I highly suggest a DAC. It makes a significant difference.

I don't disagree but I use my WA6 with laptop line out until I afford gamma2 and I'm really happy with it before the DAC.  You can always add the DAC later in the future.  IMHO, get the best amp and headphone you can afford and add the rest later. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #8,244 of 42,298
Quote:Originally Posted by jc9394 

"I don't disagree but I use my WA6 with laptop line out until I afford gamma2 and I'm really happy with it before the DAC.  You can always add the DAC later in the future.  IMHO, get the best amp and headphone you can afford and add the rest later."

I must contrast. The difference a DAC makes must not be understated. A proper Amp/DAC combo can sound better than just the amp itself when using a laptop. Even if the amp without using a DAC is better than the one using a quality DAC. Again, it's a system used in tandem with each other.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #8,245 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by jc9394 

"I don't disagree but I use my WA6 with laptop line out until I afford gamma2 and I'm really happy with it before the DAC.  You can always add the DAC later in the future.  IMHO, get the best amp and headphone you can afford and add the rest later."

I must contrast. The difference a DAC makes must not be understated. A proper Amp/DAC combo can sound better than just the amp itself when using a laptop. Even if the amp without using a DAC is better than the one using a quality DAC. Again, it's a system used in tandem with each other.

I agree with JC.  If you can't afford a DAC now, get the best amp and headphone you can afford.  Then later when you can afford a DAC, you'll have the platform that can take advantage of it.

That is not to underestimate the value of a DAC, it is important.  Hower from a practical standpoint, if you get the best you can afford now, when you can afford a DAC you'll have a system where you'll really be able to hear the difference.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #8,246 of 42,298
Quote:Originally Posted by mikemalter 

"I agree with JC.  If you can't afford a DAC now, get the best amp and headphone you can afford.  Then later when you can afford a DAC, you'll have the platform that can take advantage of it.
That is not to underestimate the value of a DAC, it is important.  Hower from a practical standpoint, if you get the best you can afford now, when you can afford a DAC you'll have a system where you'll really be able to hear the difference."

I would challenge that a good but less expensive AMP/DAC combo would sound better than the more expensive amp itself. If you buy the amp and DAC at a good price then selling both when you're ready to upgrade shouldn't be that difficult. Many of us on Head-Fi have done this. It's part of the fun and process too.

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8,247 of 42,298
The problem with trying to fit everything into a budget is you end up with relatively mediocre options for each of the components.  Then, in order to upgrade, you have to replace everything.  Get great headphones and a nice amp and buy a $150 DAC, like an HRT Music Streamer II which will work with your laptop and then replace that when you can afford to.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #8,248 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by mikemalter 

"I agree with JC.  If you can't afford a DAC now, get the best amp and headphone you can afford.  Then later when you can afford a DAC, you'll have the platform that can take advantage of it.
That is not to underestimate the value of a DAC, it is important.  Hower from a practical standpoint, if you get the best you can afford now, when you can afford a DAC you'll have a system where you'll really be able to hear the difference."

I would challenge that a good but less expensive AMP/DAC combo would sound better than the more expensive amp itself. If you buy the amp and DAC at a good price then selling both when you're ready to upgrade shouldn't be that difficult. Many of us on Head-Fi have done this. It's part of the fun and process too.

There is no reason this could not work as well as the sales section of the board has really great deals.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8,249 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
I feel the sound of direct heated triodes is better and when I herd the WA5 it was to my liking which is subjective and I shouldn't have put it that way.  

I'd be interesting in hearing what about it you liked, if you don't mind elaborating.  Subjective opinions are actually what I'm hoping to hear from people, since I can't hear a 300B amp myself.

So, I spent some time searching the forum, and all I continue to find are vague generalizations.  I find it quite unusual that nobody with experience with these types of amps ever wants to share impressions.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #8,250 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

I don't disagree but I use my WA6 with laptop line out until I afford gamma2 and I'm really happy with it before the DAC.  You can always add the DAC later in the future.  IMHO, get the best amp and headphone you can afford and add the rest later. 

I am also about to make a plunge for a tube amp. (good chance a WA5 or something..waiting for Jack's feedback) and will add a DAC at a letter date. Received my HE6 in January and in the interim, driving it with my speaker amp. and enjoying the music. I'd decided on this path because to change amp. and/or other equipment is an expensive route that I hope to avoid.  Been down this path before when I was on solid state hardware and hope not to relive this with my migration to tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back