Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #8,072 of 42,298
Well, the RS1i is not an ideal match electrically for the WA2, but they are pretty efficient headphones, so that should not be the issue.  My guess is that your phono preamp is not putting out much voltage.  Do you have another source you can try?

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8,073 of 42,298

Quote:
Thought I'd make sure some of these tubes worked, before waiting a couple of weeks and finding out if they were good or not. I'll probably take them out tomorrow and continue burning the Amp in with the stock tubes.

I've got black too. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #8,074 of 42,298

Quote:
Just received my WA2 installed and hooked up been listening about an hour now and it seems that relative to what others are stating the volume knob is at (10-12o'clock) I need to have the volume at almost 2-3o'clock to get a decent bit of volume, I could easily turn the unit to 5:30 and it would not be "ear splitting" or likely could turn to max volume and it not be unbearable is this something that will change with break in? I dont see how the volume is this low. 

If so someone holla back at me as this is my first headphone amp and I am not educated on this. Source is turntable with tube preamp/phono stage into WA2.

Seems like this might be an issue with the unit as everyone else states that past 12'oclock is ear splitting. 

Same happened with my Wa3 and dt990/600. Volume had to be put almost all the way for an acceptable volume, which had me concerned. It broke in rather quickly and less turn of the knob was necessary. It still takes more turn than the HD650s though. However, it will get loud. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #8,075 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks to Frank I and Skylab I have ordered a matched pair of 6FD7 fat bottles and matched pair of 6DE7 to go with the 6WE7 my WA6SE came with. I also picked up a USA Sylvania 5U4G rectifier. So the tube rolling will now begin. LoL

I really like what I'm hearing from this amp. I have my B22 out for some upgrades and pimping so I will do some extensive A/B testing between the both. Yeah I know it may seem like an apples and oranges comparison but I think that why not see how two great amps stack up to each other? Right?

The WA6SE seems to be an excellent pairing with the HD800. The meet we has this past Saturday, everyone that listened to them together really enjoyed what they heard. Jack sent down the 6SE to me specifically for the meet and it never made it back to him. I just couldn't bare to part with it. So I sent him payment in return. LoL

I think they have done well with all genres so far. I'm listening to the Lateralus album from Tool now and it's keeping up nicely. Jazz is a no brainer. Classical is a must with the HD800/WA6SE. I have several renditions of the complete Mozart Violin Sonatas. Itzhak Perlman's interpretation playing with Daniel Barenboim is my favorite. The Woo brings a realism to the music that is intoxicating. Try Sonata 454 and you know what I mean.

I'll see what tube rolling will do. Wish me luck. Lmao

LoL...welcome to the "tube-side" buddy.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #8,076 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, the RS1i is not an ideal match electrically for the WA2, but they are pretty efficient headphones, so that should not be the issue.  My guess is that your phono preamp is not putting out much voltage.  Do you have another source you can try?

I absolutely agree with Rob. The WA2 paired with my RS1i headphones NEVER go past 9 o'clock....otherwise my ears would bleed.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8,077 of 42,298
Ross, aren't you glad I didn't leave Frank's with the WA6SE?  I knew you had your eye on it
dt880smile.png

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #8,078 of 42,298
Quote:Originally Posted by dminches 

"Ross, aren't you glad I didn't leave Frank's with the WA6SE?  I knew you had your eye on it ."

Dave, I'm sure Jack is still willing to set you up with a shiny new Woo. :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #8,079 of 42,298
Unfortunately I don't have another source to try, emailed Jack about this he stated breaking it in will not effect volume. Suppose I should find another source or change inputs to test it. He stated it should not be an issue so seems like this issue is spinning in place at the moment kind of unsettling.

Normal listening volume currently is about 3 o'clock and I could turn to max volume and not hurt my ears .... Something is not right. Will tubes effect this?

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #8,080 of 42,298

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have another source to try, emailed Jack about this he stated breaking it in will not effect volume. Suppose I should find another source or change inputs to test it. He stated it should not be an issue so seems like this issue is spinning in place at the moment kind of unsettling.

Normal listening volume currently is about 3 o'clock and I could turn to max volume and not hurt my ears .... Something is not right. Will tubes effect this?

Could be the tubes, but also source might not be putting enough voltage into your amp as Rob mentioned. I just plugged in my RS1s into my WA2 and I CANNOT exceed 10 o'clock. It would blow my Grados and ear drums.

Gotta say, that the OTL WA2 handles Grados very well. I like it better with my RS1s than my Concerto. But the MAD Ear+HD is still tops for me with Grado!

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #8,081 of 42,298
It seems unlikely that it would be the tubes, since BOTH of either the input tubes or power tubes would have o be bad, and in equal measure. Very unlikely.

Do you not even have an iPod, or even laptop output, you could try?

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #8,082 of 42,298

Could be the tubes, but also source might not be putting enough voltage into your amp as Rob mentioned. I just plugged in my RS1s into my WA2 and I CANNOT exceed 10 o'clock. It would blow my Grados and ear drums.

Gotta say, that the OTL WA2 handles Grados very well. I like it better with my RS1s than my Concerto. But the MAD Ear+HD is still tops for me with Grado!

I could change the preamp/phono stage to MC and get 20 db extra gain but I don't know how this will effect sound since my cartridge is rated for 47k and changing that would be moving it to 100k, this might not work, I suppose I can just listen at 3 o'clock.. But seems like that is just sidestepping the problem. The output of the phono stage currently is plenty enough to drive the amp according to Jacks #'s

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #8,083 of 42,298

Quote:
SS, Thanks for the heads-up. I just logged into their website and saw the update. I didn't realize they updated the pricing either.

If you want you can go over to AVS Oppo BD-95 thread, some of the folks that got there name on the early release program are not buying and have posted there link for buying a BD-95. You may be able to snag one of these links, however Oppo is sold out but there is one post that said they kept trying and did get Oppo to accept the order.

Anyway my BD-95 will be shipping between the 1st and 4th of February so i will post my opinion about this player.

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #8,084 of 42,298
So found an old cd/DVD player hooked it up cant get the volume pass 12 noon cause it's too LOUD! With the turntable i can turn the wa2 to max and its not that loud. So.. Seems to be the phono stage. Not sure why since the output of my phono stage is pretty standard. Guess I have to live with the volume knob at 3 o clock. This cd has never sounded so good I can say that lol. Any body know what I can do to resolve this? New phono stage seems like a waste since the one I have works fine with my speaker setup.

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #8,085 of 42,298

Quote:
Same happened with my Wa3 and dt990/600. Volume had to be put almost all the way for an acceptable volume, which had me concerned. It broke in rather quickly and less turn of the knob was necessary. It still takes more turn than the HD650s though. However, it will get loud. 

I can't pass 10pm with my WA3, listening to classical music with the HD650...I can't believe you have to pass 12pm :-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back