Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 11, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #7,786 of 42,298

Quote:
J and jc.  Thank for buying the LCD2's.  Once I hear what you both have to say it will be much easier to make my decision.

I'm actually hoping to hear from JC too!  I'm sure mine are still a couple weeks away (I went with the ALO package, with a balanced option).

I've read Seamaster's comments (somewhere around here) that his 22 managed to drive the LCD2s - maybe he'll chime in at some point for some followup.  I'm sure he has some primo tubes in there!  :wink:

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #7,787 of 42,298
WA22 to drive speakers? Do tell.

I can testify that the LCD-2 is a great match for the WA22, none of you will be disappointed. It sounds great single-ended, but really improves with a nice cable in balanced mode. I am using the affordable DHC Molecule, a very lightweight balanced OCC cable and it was a noticeable upgrade.

Tube upgrades are quite noticeable too with the LCD-2. I am currently breaking in an EML 5U4G with some TS5998's; I took out my TSRP's (oval micas) and put in some Shuguang drivers during break in. I also have the round mica versions of the TSRP's on the way but it sounds great already.

One thing that's great about the WA22 is there is plenty of breathing room for the "hourglass" type of  tubes:

Yeah I know, get a real camera!

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #7,788 of 42,298
I had Jack add the pre-amp option to my WA22.  It sounds quite nice with my Klein + Hummell powered monitors but the selector switch is on the back of the WA22 which is a pain to use in my case since I have such tight quarters. So now I use the W4S DAC2 as the Pre for the speakers.  If you're able to easily switch between HP/Speakers on the WA22 than it's a pretty good option.

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #7,789 of 42,298

Quote:
You might also want to consider downloading the iPeng app for your iPod Touch - it is a more comprehensive sofware to manage your Squeezebox from your iPod.  I have not, however, found it to be very intuitive, but certainly more powerful than using Remote.  Not only can you use your iTunes library via a Squeezebox Touch, but you can simultaneously access a secondary folder with FLAC files if you want to try some high-rez music.  The Touch is capable of streaming up to 24/96 files via wireless or Ethernet.  It may be a good time to download Squeezeserver and become acquainted with the interface.  This is the software you will use to control any Squeeze devices, and that will access your music library.  To use the iTunes Library, first go to your Settings window (button is at the lower left in the main window).  Choose the iTunes tab, and check the box at the top that says "Use iTunes".  This tells SB to look at your iTunes folder for your library info.  Then go back to the "Basic Settings" tab and look for the line that says "Music Folder" - this is where you will indicate the OTHER folder that contains music files that iTunes cannot manage (FLAC for instance).  Viola - you are on your way to a more comprehensive library.  Then go to HDTracks and download a free sampler of hi-rez music and play a few cuts and see if it's something you think is worth the $.  You may not. If not, you won't have to deal with a second folder of music. 

Have fun with your SB Touch. 

You Sir, are a gent...

That is brilliant info and judging by what I'm reading I think I'm going to love it, I'm looking forward to getting it set up and will probably post an impression once I'm used to controling it etc...

Thank you again.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #7,790 of 42,298

Quote:
I had Jack add the pre-amp option to my WA22.  It sounds quite nice with my Klein + Hummell powered monitors but the selector switch is on the back of the WA22 which is a pain to use in my case since I have such tight quarters. So now I use the W4S DAC2 as the Pre for the speakers.  If you're able to easily switch between HP/Speakers on the WA22 than it's a pretty good option.

Well, I finally got my balanced cables (cheap microphone) and male/male adapter and am using my WA22 as a preamp.  I had a little bit of hum in the beginning which was mostly (95%) reduced after the WA22 was turned on and the volume up a bit.

I have the volume at two clicks and it's where I would normally have it set when listening to my HD800's.  I've got the WA22 plugged into an Audio Research VT100 MKIII amplifier and have not had it on for a while, so it will take a bit for all the tubes to warm up and everything to stabalize. 

First early impressions are that the WA22 is not only a spectacular headphone amp, but a really nice preamp.  The soundstage fills the room like never before.  It is past the edges of the speakers and is out into the middle of my office just in front of my desk.  I'm also getting dimensional imaging were there is a front and a back and stuff in between; not just left and right.

Now I wish I would have had Jack add the pre-amp option.  If it sounds this good, I can only imagine with the WA5 guys must be experiencing.

After I've been playing for a while and my VT100 gets warmed up I'll post again.

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7,791 of 42,298
I don't think WA5 has pre-amp out, it has speaker out with about 15Watts/channel which will only work in small rooms with efficient speakers.
I was actually inquiring about going with WA22 and adding pre-amp functionality, but Jack steered me toward going with WA2 as a better option. Someone mentioned that they weren't impressed with WA22 with pre-amp option which made my decision to go with WA2. I actually have tried my WA2 in the main system as a preamp, it sounded very nice -strong midrange, surprisingly very detailed on top - no rolloff. I had hum, which I fixed by lifting ground. Compared to my Marantz pre/pro it's difficult to say which one I prefer as I didn't have time to do a detailed comparison back and forth. Marantz is a really nice sounding unit in itself.  

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #7,792 of 42,298

Quote:
I don't think WA5 has pre-amp out, it has speaker out with about 15Watts/channel which will only work in small rooms with efficient speakers.
I was actually inquiring about going with WA22 and adding pre-amp functionality, but Jack steered me toward going with WA2 as a better option. Someone mentioned that they weren't impressed with WA22 with pre-amp option which made my decision to go with WA2. I actually have tried my WA2 in the main system as a preamp, it sounded very nice -strong midrange, surprisingly very detailed on top - no rolloff. I had hum, which I fixed by lifting ground. Compared to my Marantz pre/pro it's difficult to say which one I prefer as I didn't have time to do a detailed comparison back and forth. Marantz is a really nice sounding unit in itself.  

Very good point about preamp out.  I should have been more precise, good catch.  Especially to people reading this stuff and trying to decide what they want to buy.

For me, sometimes I don't want to listen to my headphones, but via speakers, so having the ability to redirect to speakers is all I really need.  I'll look at lifting the ground in my VT100 amplifier, that is a really good suggestion, thanks.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #7,793 of 42,298

Quote:

I would consider getting a pair of Sylvania VT-231 or Bad Boys to bring out the highs with either the HD650 or LCD-2.

If he means highs as in clarity and articulation/air then I second this.  On the other hand, if he means highs as in brightness or treble energy then I would have to offer a differing opinion.  The Treasures are definitely a brighter tube with stronger treble presence than the Bad Boy Sylvania, which I consider to be slightly dark sounding in the highs personally.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #7,794 of 42,298
That may have been me that said it wasn't a very good pre-amp.  I should qualify that statement.  I think it sounds quite good in that duty however for me it was not convenient enough (for my intended use).  

I was using it as a pre for my powered monitors and much of the usage was for playing back audio from my laptop - youtube, espn360, netflix, pandora, etc.  I was looking for something that could be turned on/off very quickly and the WA22 didn't fit that requirement due to the speaker/HP toggle being in the back where I couldn't reach it quickly and because of what Mike mentioned about the tubes needing to warm up to stabilize.  If I was to leave the WA22 on full-time than this wouldn't have been an issue.  Or if I just was better at planning ahead and turning the WA22 on 10-15 minutes ahead of time.

The second issue (not really major in my case but I could see it being an issue for others) is that there isn't a source selector on the front.  

I love the WA22 as a HP amp and am not sure I will ever replace it as it is so enjoyable to listen to and I find myself mesmerized by the glowing tubes and silouette.  However, I am also very happy that I went with the W4S DAC as it gives me everything I was looking for in the pre-amp space and makes the WA22 sound even better when using headphones.  I have a feeling if you want pre-amp capabilities from a Woo that the WA2 is the best option.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #7,795 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
I have seen questions about how LCD-2 pairing up with WA22. There are also some of you that have an order on LCD-2.

I can say that the match is very good. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, I am not that experienced.

I had Sophia princess, TS6SN7-GTB and TS5998. And it sounded great with stock cable and single ended. Not as large soundstage as HD800 in balanced mode, but with a full-bodied sound that I liked. But I missed the clarity and soundstage from the HD800 a bit. I bought Silver Dragon balanced and LCD-2 opened up quite a bit. Then I bought EML5U4G and the clarity got even better, and I guess as a result, better soundstage and even tighter and better bas. Now I don't miss HD800 at all, I will sell it. But that is my humble opinion.

Now my next step is to change my DAC.

Thanks for the impression, we share the same headphones and really appreciate your comments.  I'm planning to use TS5998, TS6F8G, and EML 274b or 5U4G.

You'll have to let me know which rectifier (274b or 5U4G) you prefer once you get your LCD-2.  I think amongst the people active in the Woo owners thread you  might be the only person who has both.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7,796 of 42,298

Quote:

Do you use itunes with your Squeezebox? I really want to keep using my touch as the remote controlling my itunes from my pc. I have a call logged with Apple Support but having searched pretty much every forum I can find on the subject I'm not finding this as a common fault so not hopefull that they'll help much....

I do not.  I use itunes in my iPod only.  I stream in Flac

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #7,797 of 42,298

Quote:
I've been using Squeezeboxes for the past 5 years.  One of the best purchases I've ever made.  I rip or purchase my songs in FLAC and then use dBPowerAmp to create an ALAC copy of each album/song for playback on my apple devices (iMod, iPhone, iPods).  Works great and the sound quality is great with or without an external DAC.

Me too.  It's a great product.

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #7,798 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
You might also want to consider downloading the iPeng app for your iPod Touch - it is a more comprehensive sofware to manage your Squeezebox from your iPod.  I have not, however, found it to be very intuitive, but certainly more powerful than using Remote.  Not only can you use your iTunes library via a Squeezebox Touch, but you can simultaneously access a secondary folder with FLAC files if you want to try some high-rez music.  The Touch is capable of streaming up to 24/96 files via wireless or Ethernet.  It may be a good time to download Squeezeserver and become acquainted with the interface.  This is the software you will use to control any Squeeze devices, and that will access your music library.  To use the iTunes Library, first go to your Settings window (button is at the lower left in the main window).  Choose the iTunes tab, and check the box at the top that says "Use iTunes".  This tells SB to look at your iTunes folder for your library info.  Then go back to the "Basic Settings" tab and look for the line that says "Music Folder" - this is where you will indicate the OTHER folder that contains music files that iTunes cannot manage (FLAC for instance).  Viola - you are on your way to a more comprehensive library.  Then go to HDTracks and download a free sampler of hi-rez music and play a few cuts and see if it's something you think is worth the $.  You may not. If not, you won't have to deal with a second folder of music. 

Have fun with your SB Touch. 

You Sir, are a gent...

That is brilliant info and judging by what I'm reading I think I'm going to love it, I'm looking forward to getting it set up and will probably post an impression once I'm used to controling it etc...

Thank you again.

My pleasure, sir!  Enjoy your Touch (ooh, that doesn't sound good, does it)!

If you really want to get geeky, and go for the super-tweakage, someone just posted this link on Audiogon, which I have not looked into in depth, but would support some of the basic posits on making the Touch sound better this person offers, such as using Ethernet (hard wired) vs wireless.  This is getting in deep with the Touch, so you may want to just get it and enjoy it for now, but others might have a take on this, though this isn't really a SB Touch thread.  Here's the tweakage link.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #7,799 of 42,298
Anyone Else Not Finding the  Princess Sophia their "Cup of Tea" ?

I recently bought a Princess Sophia as a result of all the glowing reviews.  I am using it with WA6-SE.  I am using it with a pair of 6DE7s - Sylvania and then I tried it w/ my RCAs w/shield. 

The soundstage wide, but to me not very deep.  I found the bass able to go very low, but with little impact.  A little to bloaty for my taste.  The mids were a little to tubey for me.  The treble on the other hand was delightful.  Crisp, airy and well defined.

I thinking I will go back to my best combo to date. NOS   CBS 5U4GB Rectifier along with a pair of 6DE7s GE Double Triode.  I find this combo to be very deep and punchy in the base.  Very wide soundstage, and holographic.  Mids are mildly romantic, no too tubey and the highs are not as crisp as the Sophia but plenty defined for me.

I will try some more tube rolling w/ some more 6de7s and some 6ew7s as well as well as some large 6ew7s.  Maybe I will find  some reason to hold onto the Sophia.  Otherwise, out she goes.

Maybe the EML 274B Mesh plate will be more p[leasing to me.  from what I read it serves up bass with more punch.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #7,800 of 42,298

Quote:
Anyone Else Not Finding the  Princess Sophia their "Cup of Tea" ?

I recently bought a Princess Sophia as a result of all the glowing reviews.  I am using it with WA6-SE.  I am using it with a pair of 6DE7s - Sylvania and then I tried it w/ my RCAs w/shield. 

The soundstage wide, but to me not very deep.  I found the bass able to go very low, but with little impact.  A little to bloaty for my taste.  The mids were a little to tubey for me.  The treble on the other hand was delightful.  Crisp, airy and well defined.

I thinking I will go back to my best combo to date. NOS   CBS 5U4GB Rectifier along with a pair of 6DE7s GE Double Triode.  I find this combo to be very deep and punchy in the base.  Very wide soundstage, and holographic.  Mids are mildly romantic, no too tubey and the highs are not as crisp as the Sophia but plenty defined for me.

I will try some more tube rolling w/ some more 6de7s and some 6ew7s as well as well as some large 6ew7s.  Maybe I will find  some reason to hold onto the Sophia.  Otherwise, out she goes.

Maybe the EML 274B Mesh plate will be more p[leasing to me.  from what I read it serves up bass with more punch.

I bought a used one with about 100 hours on it, so fully burned in.  I have a WA6SE also (mine is maxxed).  The Sophia tube lasted a week with me, as I recall, before I sold it again.  IMO it didn't do much of anything right in my specific application of it.  I think I was using ATH 5000 and Grado 1000 at the time.  OTOH, I'm pretty sure the guy who bought it from me was quite happy with it, but I don't recall his use of it.  I did not find it's bass performance good at all, and thought it rendered a general lack of detail through the mids and highs, and was just baffled why anyone would like it.  I much prefer the EML 5U4G, which seems to do everything just right in the same application - solid bass, clarity, separation, detail and extension.  It is an excellent performer for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back