Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #7,726 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's difficult to descibe because it's so quiet. I listen to a lot of Ambient Trance/Chillout which can have this type of sound effect. At first I thought that's what it was, a transient detail that I hadn't picked out before maybe? Unfortunately I can hear the same ticking on almost everything and it's the same volume and speed.

Maybe interference or something coming from my pc?

This sounds more like a DAC issue to me.  Either that, or something in the ripped files themselves.  What resolution are these files ripped to, and what software and box did you use to rip them?

Everything I have is either Apple Lossless ripped from my own CD's or a few downloads origionally Flac or Wav but converted to Apple Lossless everythings been fine untill now so I'm assuming it's something in the chain of my new set up.

Just for clarity this is: PC (itunes) > Apple TV > Dacmagic > WA6.

I'm going to have another listen tonight but use my backup hard drive as my itunes media feed. I read somewhere that the hard drive could be passing this down the line....

If it's happening on all of your files which originated from more than one source then I would look at the DACmagic or Apple TV. Clicking sounds that are regular sound like some sort of clocking or timing artifact to me.  I asked about the rips because I did have an Apple Laptop (older one) that would consistently produce odd digital artifacts at the end of every rip done on it.  I took it to the Genius Bar and they did confirm it, but could not come up with a solution except to uncheck ErrorCorrection which was unacceptable to me.  I stopped ripping on that laptop and eventually retired it with extreme prejudice.  Does the AppleTV have it's own DAC?  If so try streaming straight through that and see if it happens.  Also try the DAC Magic hard wired and remove the AppleTV from the equation.  That'd be my approach.  I doubt it's a hard drive issue (I've never heard of such a thing).  You might try posting over at Computer Audiophile too. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #7,727 of 42,298
Jerico, thanks I'll look at that.

Jax, again thanks for your ideas I will try and fathum it tonight. Apart from this anoying part everything else sounds very special.

I'll sign off now and try the points you guys raised.

Cheers.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #7,728 of 42,298

Quote:
Regarding the hi/lo taps on the WA6(SE) when using the LCD-2:  For some odd reason I get better results coming from the High tap off of my WA6SEm.  It seems to give the midrange a bit of a slight bump to my ears, whereas the low tap, in comparison occurs to me as a bit flatter.  I've gone back and forth on several different cuts of music, and on a few occasions now, and with two different DACs in place.  It seems consistent to me, in spite of the actual impedance of those cans being low.  I'm not doing a controlled experiment by matching levels though  - this is just a gut response and my wee brain could be playing tricks on me.   Anyone else with a WA6(SE) experience that?  I don't know if the standard WA6 implements the same specs to the switching in back, and thereby yields similar results, but that's what I've been hearing. 

Well if the WA6SE has the same 50 ohm cutoff for those taps that was recently reported for the WA22 impedance selector, then the impedance output choice may not be the reason. Perhaps the higher impedance selection is delivering more current to the LCD-2; as orthos they would lap this additional current right up and up their performance accordingly.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #7,729 of 42,298

Quote:
Any of you guys streaming wirelessly?

I had quite a listening session last night with my new set up and on a number of tracks with quiet passages I could hear a very faint ticking/clicking, barely audiable but you know how it is and now I'm listening out for it all the time. Any ideas guys?

Yes, I have been listening wireless streaming for a while and absolutely love it.  There is no noise what so every, it is much better than using my MBP with USB.

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #7,730 of 42,298

Quote:
Any of you guys streaming wirelessly?

I had quite a listening session last night with my new set up and on a number of tracks with quiet passages I could hear a very faint ticking/clicking, barely audiable but you know how it is and now I'm listening out for it all the time. Any ideas guys?

I have streamed wireless for quite awhile.  I can't imagine it possible to be pc related, given it is simply a data stream.  It seems it would be hardware or tube related.  I would start rolling a few tubes.
Good luck!

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #7,731 of 42,298
Alright folks I just took the plunge. I snagged that wa2 from the FS forums. It's going to be working in conjunction with my new yulong da100 and dt 990s!

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #7,732 of 42,298
Woohoo!  Well done!

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #7,733 of 42,298
Guys here are some intimate pictures that my newly arrived WA2 wants to share with you.
More glamorous pictures to come later.

Black Gate Output Caps.

Right channel and DACT2.

Note that ICE inlet is hard soldered and masked with epoxy, so if you want to upgrade to a Furutech or some other high-end inletet you bettor off having Jack do it at the build time. Too late for me, but stock ICE seems of high quality, so I don't fret.

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #7,739 of 42,298
WOW. Beautiful. My WA2's stepped attenuator is a Goldpoint and there is no sign of epoxy masking anywhere. Perhaps Jack has added epoxy for sonic reasons. Even though the innards are sparse it is still able to produce sound that is incredibly detailed in structure and form--solid sound structure. Congrats!!!

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #7,740 of 42,298

Quote:
Regarding the hi/lo taps on the WA6(SE) when using the LCD-2:  For some odd reason I get better results coming from the High tap off of my WA6SEm.  It seems to give the midrange a bit of a slight bump to my ears, whereas the low tap, in comparison occurs to me as a bit flatter.  I've gone back and forth on several different cuts of music, and on a few occasions now, and with two different DACs in place.  It seems consistent to me, in spite of the actual impedance of those cans being low.  I'm not doing a controlled experiment by matching levels though  - this is just a gut response and my wee brain could be playing tricks on me.   Anyone else with a WA6(SE) experience that?  I don't know if the standard WA6 implements the same specs to the switching in back, and thereby yields similar results, but that's what I've been hearing. 

While both my amp and headphones are different, I felt it worth mentioning I hear the same thing you do on my WA6.  Switching to the low impedance setting results in a sound that is perceived as flatter with less "push" in the midrange.  Even while attempting to match volume (since that will of course affect perception) the High setting seems to be a fuller sound overall.  I used to think low level detail was better on the Low setting, but I realized it isn't better but rather just a bit easier to identify right away because the sound is thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back