Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #6,691 of 42,298

Quote:
I've been auditioning the 6F8G's again and to my ears the 6SN7 BGRP is slightly nicer than the 6F8G BGRP and quite a lot better than the Sylvania Grey Glass 6F8G's. I have been away from the thread for a while enjoying the music and rolling tubes and seem to keep coming back to the same conclusions.

Although the Mullard GZ34 is an awsome rectifier the EML 5U4G is just better with almost everything.

X2.  To my ear, the 6SN7 BGRP is a little better than the 6F8G BGRP.  According to Glenn, they are the same.  It may be me or the smaller tube helps out a bit too.  But for the price, that is a bargain for the sound quality it provide.

I have the metal base Mullard GZ34 and it is great and better than Sophia but the EML 5U4G takes the Woo to another level.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6,692 of 42,298
Well, I just did it, I placed an order for the WA6+Sophia, and a bunch of tubes from Ebay. Nothing quite feels as satisfactory as financial ruiniation :) Now for the wait. And ramen. :wink:

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #6,693 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, I just did it, I placed an order for the WA6+Sophia, and a bunch of tubes from Ebay. Nothing quite feels as satisfactory as financial ruiniation
smily_headphones1.gif
Now for the wait. And ramen.
wink.gif

Congratulations! Yes, and ramen for sustenance for the time being is a good idea--it is about 95% of my larder and will continue to be so for years to come. Most of the great tubes come from the Netherlands so you should be lucky to live there.
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #6,696 of 42,298
I actually prefer cold soba noodles when I can afford them--and that's usually when I'm not buying tubes. And by the way, someone's WA6 has gone the way of the Hulk:

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #6,697 of 42,298
I finally popped in my newly acquired black glass Ken-Rad VT-231s!  Man alive these are incredible tubes.  The sound is so articulate and detailed.  I need another pair...
darthsmile.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #6,699 of 42,298

Quote:
Cold soba, my flavor. One of my must have if I go Japanese rest. Isn't that was jamato's old WA6?

Clayton, where in SF for cold soba? The couple places I visited in Jtown was a disappointment.

Jamato's old WA6? I don't know. I just did a Google search and came across that WA6 that looks like it's modded with powder kegs. And I've never been to Japan to be able to compare the ultimate soba noodle dish there to what we have here in San Francisco--but I satisfy my soba noodle cravings at Sanraku, they're two blocks down the hill from where I live.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #6,700 of 42,298

Quote:
I finally popped in my newly acquired black glass Ken-Rad VT-231s!  Man alive these are incredible tubes.  The sound is so articulate and detailed.  I need another pair...
darthsmile.gif

What's the difference between those and the clear glass version? I've been meaning to pick up a pair myself but don't know the answer to that yet.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #6,701 of 42,298
Quote:

Quote:
darthsmile.gif

What's the difference between those and the clear glass version?

After reading the 6SN7 reference thread, nothing is different.  Black glass guarantees a great tube, but if you find a clear glass pair, make sure the plates are staggered (ie, the grid posts are diagonal from each other when viewed from the top).  You'll know by this that they were made in the early 1940s.

● “With reference to the KenRad, the first version can have either black glass or clear glass, always with staggered plates (I was the one who coined the 'staggered plates' moniker - there is zero sonic difference between the two). In the late 40's, when GE had taken more control over the KenRad operation, there was a second version with clear glass and in-line ribbed plates - it is NOTEABLY inferior sonically - gone is the big bass and the midrange bloom, added is a dry, slightly constricted sound with no magic.” -Robert H. (in personal correspondence)

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #6,702 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
darthsmile.gif

What's the difference between those and the clear glass version?

After reading the 6SN7 reference thread, nothing is different.  Black glass guarantees a great tube, but if you find a clear glass pair, make sure the plates are staggered (ie, the grid posts are diagonal from each other when viewed from the top).  You'll know by this that they were made in the early 1940s.

● “With reference to the KenRad, the first version can have either black glass or clear glass, always with staggered plates (I was the one who coined the 'staggered plates' moniker - there is zero sonic difference between the two). In the late 40's, when GE had taken more control over the KenRad operation, there was a second version with clear glass and in-line ribbed plates - it is NOTEABLY inferior sonically - gone is the big bass and the midrange bloom, added is a dry, slightly constricted sound with no magic.” -Robert H. (in personal correspondence)

Ah, thanks for the answer, it kind of rings a bell actually.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #6,703 of 42,298

Jamato's old WA6? I don't know. I just did a Google search and came across that WA6 that looks like it's modded with powder kegs. And I've never been to Japan to be able to compare the ultimate soba noodle dish there to what we have here in San Francisco--but I satisfy my soba noodle cravings at Sanraku, they're two blocks down the hill from where I live.

It was John (jamato8)'s old WA6.

NICE, I will try that place next time.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #6,704 of 42,298
Wow. Did you ever get a chance to listen to John's (yamato8)'s old WA6? Looks like it could kick tires! Hey, when and if you return to SF, let's go on a soba hunt together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back