Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #6,617 of 42,298
In that case I'll also never taste a $25,000 bottle of wine.  Or, own a $500,000 car.

Hey, to each his own.  
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Well I guess in that case you will never know what a great tube sounds like in a great amp.

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #6,618 of 42,298
Well, cr@p. I'm looking to upgrade to a tube amp and decided to read this thread all the way through first, but I can almost not keep up 
beyersmile.png
 Perhaps I should just order that WA6 with the Sophia cause I know I want one anyway...

Two questions:
1. Any other Europeans have experience ordering from Woo Audio? How long did it take, and did you have to pay import duties?
2. Anyone compare the WA6 to a Corda Arietta? I'm hoping for more clarity, wider soundstage, more fluid mids. But obviously you can't quite just walk into the local electronics store and have a listen... 

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #6,619 of 42,298
I think $1250 is a little more with-in the reach of a Woo lover that can afford a Woo 300B amp. 

I can understand why you find this kind of pricing obscene, you are still into collecting entry+ level stuff as I did. But once I understood no matter what tubes I rolled into my WA6SE and my LD IVSE I was never going to get the what I really wanted.
Had I saved my money up for my WA5LE in the first place and not gotten all the tubes I did get trying to reach a level of sound I wanted I could have saved a lot of money.
wink_face.gif

Quote:
In that case I'll also never taste a $25,000 bottle of wine.  Or, own a $500,000 car.

Hey, to each his own.  
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #6,620 of 42,298

Quote:
As far as "straight" 6AS7G tubes go (no equivalents) go, my favorite are these:

1) Tung-Sol or Chatham
These are warm, controlled, and detailed.  Good lower register.  Smooth highs.  Good air.  Imagine a 5998 with more warmth and slightly more smoothness at the expense of PRaT.  They have a little more glow than the 5998, not in light, but in terms of sound.

2)  RCA
These are almost as warm as the Tung-Sols, but aren't quite as detailed.  The lower register isn't as good.  Very smooth highs and decent air.  These are very excellent  tubes, so don't take these comments as a criticism.  It's just that the Tung-Sol is better.  Imagine a Tung-Sol after 3 glasses of red wine.

I just got a pair of 6AS7G's on ebay, but the tubes have different brands:

1. Tube #1 is branded by National, with Tung-Sol "3226305" manufacture code, 1963 vintage, Triode #1 = "97", Triode #2 = "97"
  2. Tube #2 is TUNG-SOL CHATHAM, with Tung-Sol "322DN3" manufacture code, Triode #1 = "95", Triode #2 = "95"

I am wondering if it is ok to use these tubes in my WA22 as the brands don't match exactly.  Do you think it would be a problem?  I probably should have posted first.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #6,621 of 42,298

Quote:
     Quote:

Sorry; I keep interjecting WA6SE tube experiences in between WA22 discussion.  I would love to upgrade to the WA22 or the WA5LE, but tube decisions are complicated enough right now, with only 1 rectifier and a single pair of power tubes.  I am beginning to get a glimpse of the complexity of tube rolling.

At any rate, after more burn in time and more listening, I am really enjoying the EML 5U4G / RCA 6EW7 big bottle chrome top combination in the WA6SE.  I thought I would be putting the Sylvanias back in, but not so far.

Still haven't tried the Raytheons, though.

There is no problem about posting your tube experiences anywhere, Mike.  This thread is a dog's breakfast anyway and from my perspective, it's perfectly ok to post anywhere.  I learn a lot from your posts and like to read about what you are up to.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #6,622 of 42,298

Quote:
There is no problem about posting your tube experiences anywhere, Mike.  This thread is a dog's breakfast anyway and from my perspective, it's perfectly ok to post anywhere.  I learn a lot from your posts and like to read about what you are up to.

This is so true Mike, especially for a tube novice. Without the experiences of all the helpful members that post here, I would be lost ( and wealthier
wink.gif
 )

I ordered my WA22 from Jack along with some Sennheiser HD800s, Shuguang Treasure 6SN7s, Sylvania 7236s and EML 5U4G mesh plate.

Today I received these Tung-Sol 6SN7GT BGRPs

The GEC 6080 should be here in a day or two.

Hopefully these components will work well together with my source, a Logitech Transporter, which has a balanced output. Most of the music is in 96/24 and 44.1/16.

A couple more weeks 'till I find out.
beyersmile.png

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #6,623 of 42,298

Quote:

This is so true Mike, especially for a tube novice. Without the experiences of all the helpful members that post here, I would be lost ( and wealthier
wink.gif
 )

I ordered my WA22 from Jack along with some Sennheiser HD800s, Shuguang Treasure 6SN7s, Sylvania 7236s and EML 5U4G mesh plate.

Hopefully these components will work well together with my source, a Logitech Transporter, which has a balanced output. Most of the music is in 96/24 and 44.1/16.

beyersmile.png

Glad to hear you got the EML, everyone seems to like it better than the Sophia - me included.  I did not like the Sylvania's as they seemed to make the sound too rough and harsh, so I put the stock RCA's back in. I have heard it's better if the inputs are balanced, so that is a plus.  Also 96/24 music should play really nicely.  I'm also running with an HD800.  Does your headphone have balanced connectors?

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #6,624 of 42,298
They will be! Actually since I ordered the HD800s from Jack, they will be shipped with the amp. The cable I selected was the APuresound APS HD800 with Furutech XLRs and Super Nylon jacket

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #6,625 of 42,298

Quote:

wink.gif
 )

beyersmile.png

Wow, you wasted no time on getting the fancy old light bulbs.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #6,626 of 42,298

Quote:

Wow, you wasted no time on getting the fancy old light bulbs.

With your helpful suggestions and also some help from sillysally.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #6,627 of 42,298
I foresee no problems at all.  According to Jack Wu, perfectly matched tubes are not a necessity.  Heck, he doesn't even supply matched stock tubes when he ships the amps out.  Matched tubes might give a little extra boost in terms of noise and volume, but they certainly won't turn a great amp into a pile of junk.  Plus, it doesn't matter what the tube looks like or its paint job.  All that matters is they have the same manufacturer and plate construction (which yours do) and their emission tests; it seems those tubes are very well matched. 

Quote:
I just got a pair of 6AS7G's on ebay, but the tubes have different brands:

1. Tube #1 is branded by National, with Tung-Sol "3226305" manufacture code, 1963 vintage, Triode #1 = "97", Triode #2 = "97"
  2. Tube #2 is TUNG-SOL CHATHAM, with Tung-Sol "322DN3" manufacture code, Triode #1 = "95", Triode #2 = "95"

I am wondering if it is ok to use these tubes in my WA22 as the brands don't match exactly.  Do you think it would be a problem?  I probably should have posted first.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #6,628 of 42,298

Quote:
I foresee no problems at all.  According to Jack Wu, perfectly matched tubes are not a necessity.  Heck, he doesn't even supply matched stock tubes when he ships the amps out.  Matched tubes might give a little extra boost in terms of noise and volume, but they certainly won't turn a great amp into a pile of junk.  Plus, it doesn't matter what the tube looks like or its paint job.  All that matters is they have the same manufacturer and plate construction (which yours do) and their emission tests; it seems those tubes are very well matched. 

Thanks.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #6,629 of 42,298

Quote:
They will be! Actually since I ordered the HD800s from Jack, they will be shipped with the amp. The cable I selected was the APuresound APS HD800 with Furutech XLRs and Super Nylon jacket

You are going to love the HD800's with the WA22.  Just remember to give some time for the tubes to burn in, and for the headphone to burn in too.  What color WA22 did you get, silver or dust-magnet?

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #6,630 of 42,298

Quote:
You are going to love the HD800's with the WA22.  Just remember to give some time for the tubes to burn in, and for the headphone to burn in too.  What color WA22 did you get, silver or dust-magnet?

HA! dust magnet to match the rest of the Rotel Stereo system. I'm trying to find more info on "burn in". When the new amp comes, do I have to use the stock tubes (whatever they are), or can I go right to the upgraded tubes? What exactly am I burning in...the amp or the tubes or the cans? All?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back