Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #6,393 of 42,298
Goodness.  After all the fuss that was caused over the adapter experimentation it seems like I might be the only one left who is still satisifed with the results based on what I've been reading lately.  I think a lot of it may have to do with my headphones, which seriously needed taming in the mids and highs.  I'm guessing the 6SN7 is just too relaxed a sound in the WA6 for most people, but it suited my needs wonderfully.  Every time I try to go back to the 6FD7 I just can't listen to it.  Even going beyond tonal differences the refinement, resolution, and proper layering of the soundstage is just not there.  The difference is a lot like removing the DAC from the system actually, with a dose of harsh highs and upper mids added in for good measure.  The 6SN7 tube was the only thing that cured the awful midrange "glare" I kept experiencing on headphones too.  It's a shame everybody else wasn't as satisfied.

It is also comforting to know that if I move to a WA22 in the future the tubes I spent so much money on can come along for the ride. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #6,394 of 42,298
Greetings, 

Can someone with the newer, clear-top EML 5U4G give me a height measurement from the bottom of the base (not including pins) to the top. 

I read that they did a slight redesign that makes this version slightly smaller than the original but it seems none of the websites have been updated with respective specs and/or photos. 

Thanks in Advance!

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #6,395 of 42,298

If you don't get something by today, I'll measure mine and post photos when it arrives tomorrow.

Quote:
Greetings, 

Can someone with the newer, clear-top EML 5U4G give me a height measurement from the bottom of the base (not including pins) to the top. 

I read that they did a slight redesign that makes this version slightly smaller than the original but it seems none of the websites have been updated with respective specs and/or photos. 

Thanks in Advance!

Oct 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #6,396 of 42,298

Quote:
Just got an email from Jack, he said that he got me a 5U4G Mesh plate.  I am thinking I would have liked the 274B better as you described it.

What do you mean by more romantic sounding?  I'm hoping I did not get something cold and harsh.

Thanks.

Don't worry about it. The EML 5U4G Mesh Plates is a wonderful sounding tube. I have a pair of those in the power supply of my WA5-LE. I have tried the Sophia 274B, the stock tubes, a pair of ElectroHarmonix, a pair of NOS RCA and Tungsol and the EML is my favorite with the Sophia second.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 28, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #6,397 of 42,298

Quote:
It's still a mystery that when the amp was tested at Woo Audio (twice) it passed with flying colors, except for one faulty tube; Jack replaced the pair.  I'll have to check again with sources connected later, but so far the hum seems to be totally gone.

I've got the WA6SE connected to my system, and everything sounds great.  Hum is totally gone, with all tubes.  I'm currently using an EML 5U4G mesh plate(I also have the Sophia but like the EML better).  I've tried several pairs of tubes this evening, now that the amp has the modifications:  Sylvania 6EW7s, RCA skinny 6EW7s, GE 6FD7s, and a pair of Pinnacle 6DR7s I just got from Jack.  

I think one of the GE 6FD7s is bad, since it crackled in the left channel, and then in the right when I switched them.  The Pinnacles sound good, with more bass than the 6EW7s, but the gain is so high I can hardly move the volume control above 8 o'clock.

The Sylvania fat bottle 6EW7s are the most detailed sounding to me for mids and highs, but they're a bit bass-shy.  The skinny RCA 6EW7s seem to have a bit more bass, but don't have the sparkle in the mids and highs that the Sylvanias do.

I've read about some users' experiences with adapters and 6SN7s, etc.; I'm not sure I want to get into anything like that, especially since I'd rather have my amp at home instead of inside a FedEx truck, where it has spent most of October.

Ideally I would like to find a pair of tubes that sound like the Sylvania 6EW7s, but with a bit more bass impact;  I'm sure there are other tubes that I haven't tried yet that might fill the bill; any suggestions?  

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #6,398 of 42,298

Quote:
Goodness.  After all the fuss that was caused over the adapter experimentation it seems like I might be the only one left who is still satisifed with the results based on what I've been reading lately.  I think a lot of it may have to do with my headphones, which seriously needed taming in the mids and highs.  I'm guessing the 6SN7 is just too relaxed a sound in the WA6 for most people, but it suited my needs wonderfully.  Every time I try to go back to the 6FD7 I just can't listen to it.  Even going beyond tonal differences the refinement, resolution, and proper layering of the soundstage is just not there.  The difference is a lot like removing the DAC from the system actually, with a dose of harsh highs and upper mids added in for good measure.  The 6SN7 tube was the only thing that cured the awful midrange "glare" I kept experiencing on headphones too.  It's a shame everybody else wasn't as satisfied.

It is also comforting to know that if I move to a WA22 in the future the tubes I spent so much money on can come along for the ride. 

X2. 
Yes, even the 'Silent One' speaks now and again... I stand with you on the 6SN7 direction. While I thought the 6EW7's played nice with Sophia, they were often too polite and most of the time pedestrian. I learned from this space that the 6FD7's would give me that much needed punch and I.D. some bass, which was MIA. Ordered a pair of 6FD7's but one arrived DOA. 

Jack agreed to replace the pair - to be honest, I have not heard them yet. It was at this time I decided to move toward the 6SN7 series. Jack allowed me to pay the difference and shipped me my first NOS 6SN7 tubes. I had them on simmer for 5 hours before lifting the lid. The temptation to see what I had was too great, so I peeked and took a listen. They sounded way ahead of the 6EW7's even at 5 hours. They came into their own at 125 hours. More layers and texture in the middle, more of everything really. 

My position on using adapters with the WA6SE is neutral. I sought to solve a particular problem and they helped me address that. So no, I'm not fixin' to chase anyone down the street shouting "Use adapters!" That'd be time better spent listening to music... in the right mood, mind you! But I am willing to share my experience with the switch - I am satisfied. And speak to the quality of the adapters and customer relations with Glenn., both good.

Reading between the lines, long-time Woozies will know it was the 6SN7 Tung-Sol Round Plate chatter that got to me!

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #6,399 of 42,298

Quote:

I'm still using the adapters with Sylvania VT-231.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #6,401 of 42,298
Has anyone owned or spent enough time with both the WA6 and the WA 6SE to described the differences gained by the separate power supply? Does the SE drive certain headphones better or is the sound improved with the added PS?

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #6,402 of 42,298

Quote:
Has anyone owned or spent enough time with both the WA6 and the WA 6SE to described the differences gained by the separate power supply? Does the SE drive certain headphones better or is the sound improved with the added PS?

WA6 vs WA 6SE in the Search Box will yield plenty of results. Earlier this year, another user posed the same question to Jack Wu.His reply:

[size=13.1944px]"The WA6SE is a significant upgrade from a WA6. Because of a separate power supply, it allows us to use a more advanced topology. This model is 2 to 3 times power to the WA6 and thus dynamic handling, controlling, and speed are superior." [/size]

Expect others to share headphone pairings and other details once their day gets under way. The 'Special Edition' is my only Woo to date. For me, the decision between the two was simple. I wanted the SE but only had WA6 $$$. So rather than jump on it, only to upgrade a few months later, I decided to wait and get the SE outright. I like drama some of the time but never at the cost of my listening sessions!

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #6,403 of 42,298
Oct 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #6,404 of 42,298
I also replaced the stock rectifier to RCA. it sounds more smooth and tuby, i think it is a good upgrade, but i still want to get the one with more balanced combination.

Quote:
Does the quality of the rectifier matters for the WA2 as much as it is for WA6SE? Which one would be a good upgrade, or stock would be good enough? Woo Audio doesn't even offer a rectification tube upgrade on their website.

I'm still debating between WA2 and WA6SE though, wish it would be carried locally - paying full MSRP anyway
dt880smile.png

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #6,405 of 42,298

Quote:
TS5998 has more full body sound. My memory is fuzzy since I only briefly had Tung Sol 7236 (they were returned to WooAudio for one piece being defective... Somehow WooAudio re-shipped Sylvania 7236, saying Sylvania is better... I thought TungSol 7236 had slightly more full body sound and was better. I even asked Skylab for his opinion between Sylvania and TS 7236, he also thought TS was bit better, with fuzzy memory...)
I think Tungsol 5998 is a must have tubes for WA2. wide and FULL.  TungSol 7236 is bit leaner but still full body compared to Sylvana 7236. I guess it all depends on how your DAC sounds. If your DAC is already profound in bass, maybe TS5998 is too much for your amp. But who really don't like boomy base?
tongue.gif

Anyway, I really liked the look of gold metal base and the red prints of TS 7236. They are so sexy!

Quote:
I mostly agree with this post--very good description.  I use the 5998 as my primary power tube.  I think it's the best all-rounder that sounds beautiful with many genres of music.  It is well balanced, well controlled, has good bass, sweet highs, and an overall smooth presentation.  It leans to the warm side, but there are certainly much warmer power tubes out there.  Compared to the Tung-Sol 7236, it is a little slower, has less bass, and has less slam.  The 7236 has a little less body than the 5998, and overall is less warm.  The 7236 is an excellent tube for metal, electronica, trance, and other music that requires speed and good bass slam.  I think the 7236 has a solid state flavor to it, while still retaining some midrange tube bloom.  Plus, the highs aren't scratchy at all.  I think they are both excellent tubes and should compliment each other for different musical styles.  The TS 7236 is a much better tube than the Sylvania 7236.  They have very different plate constructions.  The Sylvania is a lean tube, sounds dry at times, very solid state, and lacks a lot of the "tube magic" we know and love.  It does have excellent bass and speed, but there are certainly many much more musical tubes out there that I recommend over the Sylvania. 

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Chatham 2399 tubes, reportedly the same as the TS 5998 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back