Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #6,301 of 42,298
The hum seemed to be about 80% in the left channel, 20% in the right.  Reversing tubes did not reverse where the hum was coming from.  Always mostly on the left side.

I wonder if this is something Woo Audio would check, since they heard no hum when they first checked the amp.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #6,303 of 42,298

Quote:
The hum seemed to be about 80% in the left channel, 20% in the right.  Reversing tubes did not reverse where the hum was coming from.  Always mostly on the left side.

I wonder if this is something Woo Audio would check, since they heard no hum when they first checked the amp.

I'm absolutely no expert on these amps, but I believe my theory is credible based on what you've said.  It might be a good idea to pass this along to Jack and see what he thinks.  At the very least he will be aware of your concern over the contact condition of the socket pins.

There is one final possibility too:  the sockets may just need to be cleaned.  If a large chunk of oxidation or residue came off a tube pin and is stuck inside the socket it might be the source of the bad electrical contact.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #6,304 of 42,298
That is a very good point.  Cleaning sometimes definitely help.

"Remove the source from the amp if it is connected. You should try a different outlet, and tubes as well.

[size=11pt]Thanks,
Jack"[/size]

LOL "sometimes definitely", it always work sometimes.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #6,305 of 42,298

Quote:
How about Woopersonic?

Good one. And the parts-upgrade modded version should be a Super-duper Woopersonic.
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #6,307 of 42,298
This is interesting because I've had to deal with some humming problem with my WA6SE as well, although humming on my unit has been low enough for it to be not noticeable at all when the music is on, so I haven't complained too much about it.  Like RJM, the humming is about a 80/20 split between left/right and independent of volume control (although again, it's a light hum nowhere as bad as what RJM is experiencing).  Also, I've found that moving the amp unit slightly or tapping the amp lightly with my fingers around the driver sockets sometimes fix the humming completely.  So I'm guessing this is either a grounding issue or a pin problem?

I'd like to attempt to clean out the sockets, but have no idea how to approach it.  How should I go about cleaning it? 

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #6,308 of 42,298
Why don't we call ourselves the WooDudes? 
tongue_smile.gif

About the hum... I had a noticeable hum (mainly in the left channel) when I got my WA22.  I e-mailed Jack and he had me send it back to him; he ended up adding some extra shielding to the transformer, and when I got it back it was reduced by quite a bit.  He said he tested the amp after fixing it to confirm that the hum was lowered.

I'd also recommend cleaning the tube pins and maybe re-seating them a few times.  Just this weekend I noticed a large channel imbalance; the right was louder than the left.  I took out my power and driver tubes and re-seated them, and the sound was perfectly centered!  Tube amps can be a bit finicky...
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #6,309 of 42,298
How long ago did you get your WA22?

I've been reading threads here about microphonics and hum issues, neither of which I have experienced, and I am wondering if maybe the later builds are a little different.  My unit was shipped on 5/11/2010 so it was probably built around the early part of May.

Quote:
Why don't we call ourselves the WooDudes? 
tongue_smile.gif

About the hum... I had a noticeable hum (mainly in the left channel) when I got my WA22.  I e-mailed Jack and he had me send it back to him; he ended up adding some extra shielding to the transformer, and when I got it back it was reduced by quite a bit.  He said he tested the amp after fixing it to confirm that the hum was lowered.

I'd also recommend cleaning the tube pins and maybe re-seating them a few times.  Just this weekend I noticed a large channel imbalance; the right was louder than the left.  I took out my power and driver tubes and re-seated them, and the sound was perfectly centered!  Tube amps can be a bit finicky...
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #6,310 of 42,298
Quote:
How long ago did you get your WA22?

I've been reading threads here about microphonics and hum issues, neither of which I have experienced, and I am wondering if maybe the later builds are a little different.  My unit was shipped on 5/11/2010 so it was probably built around the early part of May.

Quote:

I have no clue, but I'd say I received my WA22 in late-October to early-November of 2009.  I sent it back and got it again around December.

Tube amps generally hum by nature, although microphonics (in my experiences) are caused by the tubes themselves.  I have a pair of tubes which pick up any vibration whatsoever (such as a fly farting from a mile away), but all of my other tubes are fine.  I can tap on the chassis and not hear a thing when I'm using good tubes.

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #6,311 of 42,298
Quote:
This is interesting because I've had to deal with some humming problem with my WA6SE as well, although humming on my unit has been low enough for it to be not noticeable at all when the music is on, so I haven't complained too much about it.  Like RJM, the humming is about a 80/20 split between left/right and independent of volume control (although again, it's a light hum nowhere as bad as what RJM is experiencing).  Also, I've found that moving the amp unit slightly or tapping the amp lightly with my fingers around the driver sockets sometimes fix the humming completely.  So I'm guessing this is either a grounding issue or a pin problem?

I'd like to attempt to clean out the sockets, but have no idea how to approach it.  How should I go about cleaning it? 

The hum on mine was really loud, almost completely drowning out any audio.  I was going to email Jack asking if they checked the tube sockets, etc., but I just got a return tracking number, so it looks like they shipped it out this morning; I should have it back here probably on Thursday.  Jack said they would be running it awhile, and checking on it, so it must have left there with their stamp of approval.

Up until I got it back after the mods were done, it had been dead quiet, and sounding fantastic.  

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #6,313 of 42,298
Yeah, tube amps are funny that way.  The Woo amps I own (WA6 and WA2) are among the quietest, most hum free I've ever had.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #6,314 of 42,298
How about Wooters?

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #6,315 of 42,298
 Quote:
Yeah, tube amps are funny that way.  The Woo amps I own (WA6 and WA2) are among the quietest, most hum free I've ever had.

Hey Skylab, I didn't realize you had both WA6 and WA2. Could you in few words summarize the difference in sound between these two? As I said in another thread, I'm contemplating getting a WA2 for Senn, but worry that it wouldn't be enough to drive Denon. I want to get closed cup headphones, and Denon 5000/7000 seem to be the best choice for bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back