Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #6,226 of 42,298

Quote:
Sorry that I can't read the whole thread but it's way too big. So are the stock tubes and the Sophia Princess considered the best for the WA 6SE? Are the other upgrade options worth the hassle?

Yes what you have is fine, a lot of folks like the EML 5U4G and for my tastes I also like the RCA chrome dome 6EW7's big bottles.
If you have a WA6SE that was built in the last few months then you can use the 6SN7's but otherwise I would stick whit the 6EW7's. Seen to many problems when folks start experimenting with tubes/adapters that where not meant to be used in a amp.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #6,227 of 42,298

Quote:
He has a WA6SE not a WA6. The WA6Se where not meant to use 6SN7's and imo even with Glenn's adapter.

I'd be interested in hearing from other WA6SE owners who went the 6SN7 route and may have experienced distortion, weird behavior or flat out failure. We tend to benefit from information here in the forum. OutdoorXplorer's initial comments could've been more helpful. I don't mean that negatively, rather, encouraging him; others for dialogue.

My own experience with 6SN7 tubes in my WA6SE is still young - 2 months now.  I have no distortion or weird behavior. Also, I have the stock version. You think the max version might be sensitive in this regard? Thanks.

Post Script.: Needing reassurance, I asked Jack about my wanting to run 6SN7's/adapters. He pointed out that my amp was fine (July release) and should have no problem. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #6,228 of 42,298
My WA6SE was made last year and that could be the reason why I am benefiting from 6SN7 selections. Despite the the modifications made by Glenn for WA6SE, I still don't find any excitement> I am on the stock 6EW7 supplied by Jack, United Electronic with the Sophia Princess 274B.

If you need the adapters, communicate with me as I have 2 pairs to go.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #6,229 of 42,298

Quote:
My WA6SE was made last year and that could be the reason why I am benefiting from 6SN7 selections. Despite the the modifications made by Glenn for WA6SE, I still don't find any excitement> I am on the stock 6EW7 supplied by Jack, United Electronic with the Sophia Princess 274B.

If you need the adapters, communicate with me as I have 2 pairs to go.

Model year - good point. You may not recall, but when I read your post about receiving the adapters, I asked you how much they cost, shipping excluded. Then promptly ordered my own. My amp was made after his update, so things are fine for now. 

I received my amp with RCA 6EW7 & Sophia Princess tubes. 125 hours later and it blossomed quite nicely. I thought the 6EW7's had a nice top, mid-range and wide sound stage but lacked bottom. And this is with the Denon AH-5000's! 6SN7 tubes brought me bottom, as well as a bit more detail and depth in the middle. 

I'm looking forward to trying the EML 5U4G Mesh. May stop there 'cause the less I spend, the sooner I can get a WA22 or WA5LE. I am learning to be satisfied in the mean time. May you enjoy your Woo for many moons to come!

Silent 1

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #6,230 of 42,298
Quote:
If you keep it on after a few seconds it disappears.  Hum can be normal up to two to five minutes after an amp is turned on.  Jack also explains it on the FAQ section on the website.

Quote:
Disconnect all components from your amp (except headphones), then power it up. If no hum is presence, your hum is being transferred by the other electronics in your system. Allowing you to narrow your focus.

Quote:
If the hum is that loud it could be a grounding issue, or possibly a contact issue with one of the tube sockets.  A hum that is louder than the music means something is amiss for certain.

Quote:
Try rolling a different pair of tubes to see if one or both of the current tubes are shot.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone; I've tried everything mentioned above, and the loud hum still persists.  In addition, I've tried different power cords that I know are working, bypassed my power conditioner and tried different wall outlets, as well as rolling in several sets of tubes that I know have worked in the past.

When the amp was new, I had to send it in because of a blown capacitor; I remember that when it happened, the music faded out, and a crackling sound was heard through the headphones, followed by no audio and a hum.  This is different; audio can always be heard, although the hum is much louder than the audio signal.

I did get a reply from Jack, also suggesting that I remove all sources from the amp, and try different tubes.  Since the weekend is here now, I guess I will be hearing from him again on Monday, instructing me to box it up and send it back there.  This is puzzling, since it just came back from there yesterday, having been upgraded to accept 6FD7 and other tube types..  I can't imagine they would have shipped it out to me without having checked it out after doing the mods.  I guess I should have just stuck with my 6EW7s, which had always worked fine and sounded great.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6,231 of 42,298
Does anyone know if Jack can make WA6 or WA6SE to have a pre-amp out? Would it stand up against WA2 in that function? I want to get WA2, but I have been advised that I will be limited in my selection of headphones and WA6 is a more versatile option.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #6,232 of 42,298
Hello to the Woo crowd!

WA3, WA6 or WA2 for Beyerdynamics T1 (and HD650)?

I am sensitive to above average brightness, so comments on this would be appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #6,233 of 42,298
If you can afford it, definitely the WA2 for those headphones.

Oct 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6,234 of 42,298

Quote:
Hello to the Woo crowd!

WA3, WA6 or WA2 for Beyerdynamics T1 (and HD650)?

I am sensitive to above average brightness, so comments on this would be appreciated 
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 on the WA2. if you can afford it, get it. a stock WA2 was pushing my budget to the max so i coudlnt get any  upgrades but im totally okay with that.

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #6,235 of 42,298
+2 I am a WA6 owner and the T1 need a lot more power than what my amp can produce. Defenetely the W2 or if you do not mind chinese the little dot MKVI is even better , but I have only compared it to the WA6 SE. Oh no I said little dot n the woo tread , I hope I do not get banned.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #6,236 of 42,298
What is the preamp option on the WA3 intended for? Can I hook up some powered speakers (Swan M10, Audioengine A5, M-Audio BX5a) to the WA3's preamp?

Will the WA3 or WA6 compliment my dt880/600 better? What about my hd580?

And if it means anything, I will be hooking whichever I get to my Maverick D1 DAC.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide!

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #6,238 of 42,298

Quote:

Yes what you have is fine, a lot of folks like the EML 5U4G and for my tastes I also like the RCA chrome dome 6EW7's big bottles.
If you have a WA6SE that was built in the last few months then you can use the 6SN7's but otherwise I would stick whit the 6EW7's. Seen to many problems when folks start experimenting with tubes/adapters that where not meant to be used in a amp.

I think you meant to say 6FD7 there, not 6SN7.  Just trying to prevent confusion.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #6,239 of 42,298
wait what? u think the little dot is better than the WA6SE????
is it just cuz it's balanced? what about single ended?
Quote:
+2 I am a WA6 owner and the T1 need a lot more power than what my amp can produce. Defenetely the W2 or if you do not mind chinese the little dot MKVI is even better , but I have only compared it to the WA6 SE. Oh no I said little dot n the woo tread , I hope I do not get banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back