Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 11, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #6,121 of 42,298

Quote:
I could never really get into the 6SN7s... I've always been a 6F8G man myself.  What with their supple plates and voluptuous electrons... ohhhhh.
tongue_smile.gif

Why, just now I rolled in some Sylvania 6F8Gs.  Going from Ken-Rad to RCA to Sylvania was quite a trip, but the Sylvanias may come out on top. 

As a side note, one of the 'Sylvanias' is actually a Zenith (re-branded?).  They appear to be nearly identical in construction, although the Sylvania has a taller and larger base.  These also have painted glass (grey), with a mirror finish down by the base.  They look very much like my Tung-Sols, from a glass standpoint.

I was thinking I'm a Brimar CV1988 man myself too until that small black expensive TS tubes show up...

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #6,122 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes, I have both and there is no comparison.  The TS 6F8G have too much gains that I only used it for couple hours.  The TS BGRP have much better soundstage than 6F8G.

Danny, too lazy to go into office to pick up the tubes...

That's because his wife is on to his little scheme and he probably has no more room for them at home.
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #6,123 of 42,298
I'm not new to the Woo club, but I do have a new toy:

Having decided that I prefer tubes, I swapped another head-fier my phonitor and some cash for it. Even single ended, it sounds really good. Unfortunately, I haven't plucked up the courage to try and re-terminate my HD800 cable (hopefully I can commission a DIYer to do it), but I can't wait to hear it in all it's balanced glory.

Time for me to read all of the wisdom recorded about WA22 tube rolling.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #6,124 of 42,298

st3ve, very nice. if you are not new to the woo club, at least welcome to the wa22 club. I hope (and am sure) that you will enjoy your new piece of equipment. What tube are you using for the rectifier?
Quote:

Yes, I have both and there is no comparison.  The TS 6F8G have too much gains that I only used it for couple hours.  The TS BGRP have much better soundstage than 6F8G.

Danny, too lazy to go into office to pick up the tubes...

I thought that I just might be content with some other tube types. jc, your words have now you have doomed us all. I will not rest until I obtain some tsrp's.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #6,125 of 42,298

Quote:
They sort of need each other to really shine, don't you think? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I must say, though, if somebody told me they could only get the EML or the TSRP and not both I would tell them to get the EML and a pair of TS mouse ears and they would still be having a fantastic listening experience.  Once you hear the round plate though it is hard to dismiss what it brings to the table.  Something akin to taking things beyond satisfying I guess you could say.

TSRP need glen's adapters to work on the WA6 right?

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #6,126 of 42,298
Hi St3ve, congratulations for your new woo amp, beautifullllll.

I'm very interested in your wa6 vs wa22 comparision opinion
wink_face.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #6,127 of 42,298
St3ve, I'll re-terminate your HD800s free of charge if you give me those Shuguang Treasures!
beerchug.gif

BTW, I'm totally digging these Sylvania 6F8Gs now.  Very fun and dynamic sound.

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6,128 of 42,298

Quote:
st3ve, very nice. if you are not new to the woo club, at least welcome to the wa22 club. I hope (and am sure) that you will enjoy your new piece of equipment. What tube are you using for the rectifier?

Thanks, I am pretty sure that I am gonna love it! The rectifier in the picture is a sylvania 5931. I initially tried my Princess, and whilst it sounded great, it seemed to pick up some low-level hum (the previous owner had forewarned me). It seems to vary with the different rectifiers that I have tried so far, and it seems to all but disappear with my recently acquired 5931 (thanks spud!). Frankly the hum is very quiet anyhow though and only just audible when no music is playing, so I am not too concerned.

Quote:
Hi St3ve, congratulations for your new woo amp, beautifullllll.

I'm very interested in your wa6 vs wa22 comparision opinion
wink_face.gif

Thanks Torero, I might do a proper A/B comparison tomorrow, and let everyone know.

Quote:
St3ve, I'll re-terminate your HD800s free of charge if you give me those Shuguang Treasures!
beerchug.gif

BTW, I'm totally digging these Sylvania 6F8Gs now.  Very fun and dynamic sound.

Haha - I really lucked out with the previous owner letting me have those, as his stock drivers had failed. Very dramatic looking things!

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #6,129 of 42,298

That's because his wife is on to his little scheme and he probably has no more room for them at home.
biggrin.gif

Clayton, you got it wrong. It is me on my little scheme and try to fool my wife that I have them already. Actually, I'm kicking myself not to pick them. GEC 6AS7G...so sorry that I kept you lonely in the office this weekend. I promise you can play with EML and TS tomorrow night. I think I'm sick...

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #6,130 of 42,298

Having decided that I prefer tubes, I swapped another head-fier my phonitor and some cash for it. Even single ended, it sounds really good. Unfortunately, I haven't plucked up the courage to try and re-terminate my HD800 cable (hopefully I can commission a DIYer to do it), but I can't wait to hear it in all it's balanced glory.

I thought that I just might be content with some other tube types. jc, your words have now you have doomed us all. I will not rest until I obtain some tsrp's.

St3ve, welcome to the club. You really should get a balanced cable for HD800 to get every bit out of it. The Treasures are my second flavor driver tubes for WA22, I'm guessing you are tube shopping now.

dmac03, maybe it is me but to my ears the TS 6F8G is way too much gain and not as good as the TS BGRP. Maybe tbd Raytheon one are better, I may pick up the quad matched from fleabay. The gain really brothers me, I guess I have to lower the output of my DAC and give it another try.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #6,133 of 42,298

Quote:

St3ve:

Congratulation on a great and well built product. The treasure tubes look great and hopefully sound fantastic!

If you ever have a opportunity to get a K1000 try it with your amp and give some feedback. I am interested in the amp but my primary go to phones is my K1000.

Enjoy music!

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #6,134 of 42,298
It's just minutes before 0400 hrs and I am at once sleepy yet, excited. One of the better Mondays on record in some time. Monday evening I had a meet-up with Clayton SF and he made quite the impression! Will post details of our listening session perhaps when I break for tea at 1600 hrs (after dinner and NCIS; NCIS Los Angeles more likely).

Once my UPS driver delivered my 1940's Raytheon 6SN7WGT's, my Monday went into full-swing. Tossed 'em in the room, slammed the door and off to "The City that knows how" (S.F.). Once I returned from Clayton's place, I fired up the Raytheons. And while I admit they'll need to burn-in, my out-of-the-box impressions are good... r-e-a-l good!
Up all night runnin' through my music library as if my hard drive will get repossessed once I quit and go to bed.

Clayton, thanks for having me by...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back