Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #5,641 of 42,298

Quote:

Very detail comparison K_19, thanks.

Go to find some 6FD7 fat bottle (they're cheap) with your EML for the WA6SE, the 6FD7s with higher output than normal 6EW7 and 6DE7 and with much better bass presentation, more solid and powerful to meet your taste. I've tried the several brands 6FD7 in my ex-WA6SE and they sound great, very good bass either with paired Sophia 274B.

Thanks.  Hope it helps out the WA6SE/HD800 users.  There are still other variables like personal preferences, DAC used (mine's a Stello DA100), transport (hiface in my case) and if you believe in them, cables and such to consider but hopefully I've at least highlighted its general sound characteristics and how they relate to the signature of HD800.

As far as I know if the 6FD7 is to be used on my 6SE (which as I've stated before, is an older version), I'll have to do some modding inside with caps and such... as I have no experience at all with the soldering iron and way too much of a hassle to send it back to Jack to do it, I unfortunately won't be able to use them. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #5,642 of 42,298

Quote:
I use a Cisco switch power cord that is laying around at my work.  I use this one on most of my systems and happy with it.  http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/ILJPOWER.html

Great power cord. It looks so organic. Like it is about ready to morph into something else and crawl away.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #5,643 of 42,298

Quote:
Hello guys it's me again, so as I'm desperately waiting for my WA6 SE to arrive, I decided to buy new interconnects and power cord for it. I had no problems with choosing cables, but when it comes to power cord, I have no idea what to buy. I saw that people spend a huge amounts of $ on such things, but I have no clue about the impact it has on the performance of the amp, so this question might seem ridiculous to many, but I never used power cord that would cost more than a few bucks, so I'm a bit confused. I would greatly appreciate few recommendations for choosing one, I don't want to spend a fortune on it, but would like to get something atleast decent. Which power cords do you use to power up your amps?

Thanks, iRRegular

I think these are great deals for both power and interconnect.  Check them out.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #5,644 of 42,298

Quote:

Thanks.  Hope it helps out the WA6SE/HD800 users.  There are still other variables like personal preferences, DAC used (mine's a Stello DA100), transport (hiface in my case) and if you believe in them, cables and such to consider but hopefully I've at least highlighted its general sound characteristics and how they relate to the signature of HD800.

As far as I know if the 6FD7 is to be used on my 6SE (which as I've stated before, is an older version), I'll have to do some modding inside with caps and such... as I have no experience at all with the soldering iron and way too much of a hassle to send it back to Jack to do it, I unfortunately won't be able to use them. 

Why not send Jack an email and ask him to make a pair of adapters with resistors soldered for use in the old version WA6SE, he would be helpful on that.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #5,646 of 42,298
I have a question for the WA6 tube gurus.

Basically, I am looking for suggestions for a tube compliment that will make my WA6 sound it's most 'tubey' (for want of a better word). I guess my solid-state amp (spl phonitor) has got the whole clean and neutral thing covered, so I would like to have my WA6 give me a different, more euphonic and lush, presentation.

The closest I have got with my current tube inventory would be the Princess paired with a pair of big bottle RCA 6FD7 - lovely bit of warmth in the midrange. I guess I want 'more of that', if that makes any sense.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #5,650 of 42,298

Quote:
lol i have the iron lung jelly fish but i swear, its the same cable. if i ever buy another power cable, im jus gonna pick these up.

I not a big believer on cable too but a Zu Birth for $39, I gotta to try it out.  Normally these guys are $99...

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #5,651 of 42,298
Has anyone tried out Mullard CV1377 Rectifier with WA22?  Thoughts?

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #5,652 of 42,298

Quote:
Has anyone tried out Mullard CV1377 Rectifier with WA22?  Thoughts?

It is the same as GZ34.  https://www.tubeworld.com/5ar4.htm

K_19 has a very informative comparison between GZ34 and EML 5U4G here...

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #5,653 of 42,298
JC9394 thanks for the links.  K_19's review is what actually got me interested.  I'm wondering if any WA22 users have tried it with similar good results.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #5,655 of 42,298
Any chance you'll have a 5:00 free GEC 6AS7G giveaway?  (Chappelle show reference).

Quote:
Super awesome looking amp! Congrats.

HEY WA6 owners:

I scored a big lot of 6EW7's really cheap. Tested them, and only one was bad. So I have too many, and would like to give some away.

IF you live in the USA (sorry no international shipping), then the first three people to post the phrase "Free 6EW7 for me!" below can each have a pair, absolutely free.

Once you have posted, send me your address in PM. After 3 people have posted, the offer automatically closes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back