Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #4,367 of 42,298
For the hell of it I plugged my K702 into my WA3+ and the K702 just sounds so good (though it's under amped). The sound is so fluid and smooth now along with the mids and bass being pushed much more. Sounds great man!

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #4,368 of 42,298
How can the 702 be under-amped?  The Woo 3 is an OTL with some serious horsepower.  If anything, they have too low of an impedance to really shine.

But anyway, glad you like the combo.  The Woo 3 is an excellent amp.

Quote:
For the hell of it I plugged my K702 into my WA3+ and the K702 just sounds so good (though it's under amped). The sound is so fluid and smooth now along with the mids and bass being pushed much more. Sounds great man!

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #4,369 of 42,298

Sounds like noise is coming from the shield connection on the TV side, you could try an HDMI cable with the shield only connected on the amp or oppo side.
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer.  My HDMI Audio has always been off and secondary audio off as well.  The HDMI doesn't even need to be plugged into TV for hum to occur, it just has to touch the HDMI socket on the TV.  I also tried without HDMI and with component video to TV and still hum.  That is why I suspect it is the TV feeding noise through the BDP through to the amp.  But since I can't hear it on speakers, then it seems like the speaker amp is better at isolation than the head amp.  That is why I connected the head amp to the tape out on the speaker amp, but to no avail.  Possible because the tape out on the speaker amp by-passes all the protective circuits and is a straight path.

The next step is to get a power conditioner and new HDMI cable to see if that solves the hum issue.  Was looking to get a QED unit.

If that doesn't work, I am moving house soon and will install two separate elec circuits straight to the fuse box which are dedicated to audio and tv with no other things attached so will get more isolation that way.

The Nuforce was purchased about a month back.  I read that if the amp does not have some kind of DC protection then to inform Nuforce.  Not sure if this was the issue and raised with Nuforce but did not get adequate response.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #4,370 of 42,298
Quote:
NU round plate?

Yep, NU round plates.
beerchug.gif
  I've been using them for a little over 4 months.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4,371 of 42,298
Thanks for the suggestion.  Not sure what you mean by shield connection.  The HDMI that I am using is the std cable with some kind of fuse in the middle.  Will check on internet for better cables. 

As for disabling the ground pin, can't do it as I am using UK style plugs.  I did notice the Woo power output had only two pins not the normal 3 as one would expect from an IEC C14 male connector.

Here is another quibble with the Woo - I wish they would paint the volume indicator white so that it is easy to see where it is.  With the black knob it is easy for the thing to be turned all the way to the right without one noticing.

Quote:
Sounds like noise is coming from the shield connection on the TV side, you could try an HDMI cable with the shield only connected on the amp or oppo side.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #4,372 of 42,298

Quote:
I got my pair of RCA JAN VT-231s (grey glass) today.  So far, I'm not hearing a huge difference between these and my NU 6F8Gs, except that these bring out the midrange a bit more and the bass is more accentuated and deeper.  In Comfortably Numb it was almost to the point of being bloated, but in other songs it really sounded great, like it had much more authority.  I am hearing some more detail without any additional harshess or sibilance.  I'm also hearing a nice change in soundstage.

Pearl Jam's 'Black' is definitely a great song to hear the differences.  I'm hearing more background sounds that really add to the depth of the song, and it seems to just have a more rockin' attitude without being aggressively in your face.  I'm liking these tubes, but right now it's nearly a toss-up between them and my NU 6F8Gs.

Oh yeah, another thing I immediately noticed was that these tubes add more of a 'vinyl-like' sound to the music.  The CD version of Comfortably Numb sounds very close to the vinyl recording.

I have another pair of these coming my way (don't ask...), and I'm not regretting both purchases.
darthsmile.gif

Almost forgot... these tubes have a very obvious and glaring negative attribute.  You cannot see the glow.  That is all.

Heh, yeah the RCA tubes are boring when it comes to glow.  My Tung-Sols opened up a great deal with about 10-15 hours, so you may be able to expect great things from the Greyglass still.  I'm very interested in your opinions on this tube since I haven't gotten my pair yet (lost my auction while I was sleeping.... boo) and since the Tung-Sols are so impressive I'm wondering if it really is worth it.

I switched back from the Tung-Sols to the RCA 6SN7GTB blackplates and it felt like a big downgrade.  A more romantic and bloomy mid (a bit too much for me actually) is their only real strong point, otherwise the Tung Sols pretty much clobber them when it comes to detail, resolution and soundstage presentation.  I know the VT-231 Greyglass are still a staggered blackplate tube so I was thinking they'd really have to be a lot better than my 1950's GTB tubes to justify spending a hundred bucks when my Tung Sols do so well for 50.

Jul 29, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #4,373 of 42,298
I think that when you are comparing the RCAs to the NU they are both on very similar playing fields and I doubt you will hear anything more than very subtle changes in sound signature at the most.  Each just has a slightly different sonic flavor.  I personally never really loved the RCA VT-231s and much preffered either the Sylvania 6SN7W or the Ken Rad VT-231.  The Shuguang CV-181 was better to me than all those previously mentioned on my WA5, but not as good as the TS RP 6SN7GT

Jul 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #4,374 of 42,298
I have recently bought two Woo amps used - a WA6 w/PDPS, and a WA2.  Both have impressed me.  They both sound really good - better than I even expected at the price (even what the "new" price would be).  I haven't owned a Woo amp since I had the WA3 quite a while back, and I am glad to have "re-discovered" them.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #4,375 of 42,298

Quote:
I have recently bought two Woo amps used - a WA6 w/PDPS, and a WA2.  Both have impressed me.  They both sound really good - better than I even expected at the price (even what the "new" price would be).  I haven't owned a Woo amp since I had the WA3 quite a while back, and I am glad to have "re-discovered" them.

Yes, the WA2 is quite impressive--a little gem (or medium-size gem). There is not much talk in the Woo circles about the WA2 compared to the other Woos. I also love the look of those little EZ80/81 rectifiers hiding behind the 6080s.
smile.gif
Also, what ever happened to the WA4?

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #4,376 of 42,298

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #4,377 of 42,298
^^^ GEC. Wow. GEC. Wow. And Mullards. Mullards. Wow x2. One day I'll own GEC tubes. One day. I do, however have Mullard 6922.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #4,378 of 42,298
There's a pack of 3 of them on eBay right now.  A little too rich for my blood.

Quote:
^^^ GEC. Wow. GEC. Wow. And Mullards. Mullards. Wow x2. One day I'll own GEC tubes. One day. I do, however have Mullard 6922.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #4,379 of 42,298
Congrats on getting back into the Woo family again!  I have the "lowly" Woo 3, and it is the best amp I've own.  Granted, I haven't owned that many, but it does everything I hoped it would.

Quote:

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #4,380 of 42,298

Quote:
Congrats on getting back into the Woo family again!  I have the "lowly" Woo 3, and it is the best amp I've own.  Granted, I haven't owned that many, but it does everything I hoped it would.

"Lowly" Woo 3, NOT!
WA3--You've got good pedigree.
HIGHLY good.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back