Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 28, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #4,351 of 42,298

Quote:
My Woo Audio WA6SE has a hum through the headphones when connected to a Nuforce Oppo BDP83NE which is connected to the TV.  I have tried everything but the hum is still there.  It gets louder as you turn up the volume.

-snip-

It doesn't matter if WA6SE is plugged into another wall socket from the power bar that the BDP and TV are plugged in, I will get hum if the TV is connected to the BDP.

If both wall sockets are on the same circuit, that could be the problem. Try running an extension cord from another room that is controlled by a different circuit breaker as an experiment. It sounds like it could be a common ground issue. You could also try a cheater plug, but that could cause a whole new set of problems or even be unsafe.

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #4,352 of 42,298

Quote:
My Woo Audio WA6SE has a hum through the headphones when connected to a Nuforce Oppo BDP83NE which is connected to the TV.  I have tried everything but the hum is still there.  It gets louder as you turn up the volume.

If a ground loop is not the problem then try this.
Set your Oppo to HDMI Audio Off.
Secondary Audio Off.
Also check your settings on your Sony.

I have the BD-83NE connected via HDMI cable to my Kuro using a WA6SE and a WA5LE with NP and 2Ch analog RCA out with a pair of interconnect cables.

However I also use a PS Audio Primer Power station.

Also when did you get your Nuforce Edition?

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #4,353 of 42,298

I have the same question before getting WA2. The tube you can get it later, as the installation is easy, just plug the tube into the socket is ok. However, once you get it and want Jack "upgrade" the compoents later, he will not do the "teflon tube socket" upgrade. Besides, for the  black gates, stepped attenuator, he needs to pay 100 extra as the labour cost.

So, you need to decide my your own.

Quote:
I have a question regarding the WA2 and the available upgrade options.  Similar to how the Sophia Princess and 6EW7 upgrades are a must have (and cheap!) option for the WA6 SE, are the power and driver tube upgrades for the WA2 also the inexpensive must-haves?  In my past experiences with tube amps, I've realized that 1. a good PSU is a must, and 2. good tubes are a must.  The black gates, stepped attenuator, and teflon tube sockets seem to be the more expensive yet "last 10%" upgrade options.  Similar to how expensive IC's and power cables can be nice to have, yet not really necessary.

This amp is on my short list of upgrades, and I've also sent Jack an email and will share his thoughts as well.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #4,354 of 42,298

Quote:
I have the same question before getting WA2. The tube you can get it later, as the installation is easy, just plug the tube into the socket is ok. However, once you get it and want Jack "upgrade" the compoents later, he will not do the "teflon tube socket" upgrade. Besides, for the  black gates, stepped attenuator, he needs to pay 100 extra as the labour cost.

So, you need to decide my your own.

I appreciate the response, although it was somewhat ambiguous.  When getting your WA2, did you feel that the only upgrades worth spending money on were better matched tubes?  Did Jack or anyone else suggest that the blackgates and stepped attenuator were really worth the cost?  I'm guessing you ordered a stock WA2 with upgrade tubes, correct?

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #4,355 of 42,298
Thanks for taking the time to answer.  My HDMI Audio has always been off and secondary audio off as well.  The HDMI doesn't even need to be plugged into TV for hum to occur, it just has to touch the HDMI socket on the TV.  I also tried without HDMI and with component video to TV and still hum.  That is why I suspect it is the TV feeding noise through the BDP through to the amp.  But since I can't hear it on speakers, then it seems like the speaker amp is better at isolation than the head amp.  That is why I connected the head amp to the tape out on the speaker amp, but to no avail.  Possible because the tape out on the speaker amp by-passes all the protective circuits and is a straight path.

The next step is to get a power conditioner and new HDMI cable to see if that solves the hum issue.  Was looking to get a QED unit.

If that doesn't work, I am moving house soon and will install two separate elec circuits straight to the fuse box which are dedicated to audio and tv with no other things attached so will get more isolation that way.

The Nuforce was purchased about a month back.  I read that if the amp does not have some kind of DC protection then to inform Nuforce.  Not sure if this was the issue and raised with Nuforce but did not get adequate response.

Quote:
If a ground loop is not the problem then try this.
Set your Oppo to HDMI Audio Off.
Secondary Audio Off.
Also check your settings on your Sony.

I have the BD-83NE connected via HDMI cable to my Kuro using a WA6SE and a WA5LE with NP and 2Ch analog RCA out with a pair of interconnect cables.

However I also use a PS Audio Primer Power station.

Also when did you get your Nuforce Edition?

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #4,356 of 42,298

Quote:

WA6SE alone - no Hum
WA6SE connected to BDP (no connection to TV) - no hum
WA6SE connected to another CDP - no hum
WA6SE connected to BDP connected to TV (either thru HDMI or component video) - HUM
HDMI just has to touch TV input socket and I'll get hum, no need to plug it in all the way.
WA6SE connected to Sim Audio Tape out connected to BDP connected to TV - HUM

It doesn't matter if WA6SE is plugged into another wall socket from the power bar that the BDP and TV are plugged in, I will get hum if the TV is connected to the BDP.  I have changed the I/C between WA6SE and the BDP and still hum if connected to the TV.  I have even flicked the input selector to the enpty input on the WA6SE and there is still HUM if the BDP is connected to the amp and connected to the TV.

The only thing I have not tried are new HDMI cable or new powercable, neither one of which I think will help. 

The BDP connected to the Sim Audio integrated amp and TV produces no noticable HUM through speakers.  Seems like the Sim may have good isolation features.

Therefore I think the problem is with the Nuforce's separation between the audio and video sections when matched to the WA6SE.  I have a feeling that since both machines don't have much noise protection in the path they are picking up some signal from the TV.  This is my first experience with tube gear and I am not entirely happy.  Sent emails to both Nuforce and Woo and tried everything they asked me to but still get hum.  I can only conclude that the combo between the Nuforce and Woo (and Sony LCD TV) are not very good in terms of HUM-free performance. 

When there is no hum then the Woo is a very good piece of kit, and so is the Nuforce.  But together, not so nice - unless I leave the TV out of the equation.  I know others have tis combo and just wondereed if you noticed the same HUM.  Not loud but during the quiet passages it is noticable, especially after I know to listen for it.

I had this issue when connecting a ZDT amp and WES amp to my PWD DAC at the same time.  Connecting a wire between the chassis of the WES and ZDT amps solved the issue for me.  Maybe a ground wire running from the TV chassis to the WA6SE or BDP would help with your problem.

And no, the ZDT chassis is grounded to the PSU and not floating, but it uses a resistor and/or cap in the ground wire to the chassis.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #4,357 of 42,298
Hey guys! Got my Woo Audio 6 yesterday. I am very pleased.

I am however curious about the tubes that came with it. The rectifier tube is an Electronorgtechnica 5Z4G. I have never heard of this; it's says made in the USSR. I have looked back through the thread and have seen some people mention it, but there is a huge lack of info. Can anyone shed any light on the tube?

The smaller tubes are Sylvania tubes.

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #4,358 of 42,298
For whatever reason, it seems like Woo puts in the cheapest tubes now when shipping their amps.  Perhaps it's to save costs and also an acknowledgment that most end users are going to roll some tubes.  Probably the best thing you can do for a new Woo amp is research the threads to find tube reviews, and then roll some new tubes in.

Quote:

I am however curious about the tubes that came with it. The rectifier tube is an Electronorgtechnica 5Z4G. I have never heard of this; it's says made in the USSR. I have looked back through the thread and have seen some people mention it, but there is a huge lack of info. Can anyone shed any light on the tube?

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #4,359 of 42,298

Quote:
For whatever reason, it seems like Woo puts in the cheapest tubes now when shipping their amps.  Perhaps it's to save costs and also an acknowledgment that most end users are going to roll some tubes.  Probably the best thing you can do for a new Woo amp is research the threads to find tube reviews, and then roll some new tubes in.

Hm.... Does rolling new tubes in simply mean to put new tubes in? Sorry, I am new to this.
redface.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #4,360 of 42,298

Quote:

I actually like the 5Z4G tube. I have several NOS made by RCA (coke bottle shape). I think it sounds wonderful in my WA6.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #4,363 of 42,298

Quote:

Jack sends whatever stock he has on hand for tubes which can vary.  Each person may get something different.  For example my rectifier was a 5AS4.  Replacing this Russian tube with a NOS American made one is a cheap and recommended upgrade for your amp.  You can find 5AR4, 5U4G, and 5R4GY on eBay for as little as $10 and any of them would be an improvement.  Just stick to known U.S. Brands like RCA, Sylvania, Raytheon, Tung-Sol, GE and such.  The European brands such as Mullard, Telefunken and Amperex are even better but they cost a lot more.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #4,364 of 42,298
I got my pair of RCA JAN VT-231s (grey glass) today.  So far, I'm not hearing a huge difference between these and my NU 6F8Gs, except that these bring out the midrange a bit more and the bass is more accentuated and deeper.  In Comfortably Numb it was almost to the point of being bloated, but in other songs it really sounded great, like it had much more authority.  I am hearing some more detail without any additional harshess or sibilance.  I'm also hearing a nice change in soundstage.

Pearl Jam's 'Black' is definitely a great song to hear the differences.  I'm hearing more background sounds that really add to the depth of the song, and it seems to just have a more rockin' attitude without being aggressively in your face.  I'm liking these tubes, but right now it's nearly a toss-up between them and my NU 6F8Gs.

Oh yeah, another thing I immediately noticed was that these tubes add more of a 'vinyl-like' sound to the music.  The CD version of Comfortably Numb sounds very close to the vinyl recording.

I have another pair of these coming my way (don't ask...), and I'm not regretting both purchases.
darthsmile.gif

Almost forgot... these tubes have a very obvious and glaring negative attribute.  You cannot see the glow.  That is all.

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4,365 of 42,298
Tubes do need burn in to mature into their sound.  Sibilance and bass bloat usually diminish over time.  Also, soundstage opens up over time as well.  Plus, as you noticed, differences between tubes can be very subtle. 

Quote:
I got my pair of RCA JAN VT-231s (grey glass) today.  So far, I'm not hearing a huge difference between these and my NU 6F8Gs, except that these bring out the midrange a bit more and the bass is more accentuated and deeper.  In Comfortably Numb it was almost to the point of being bloated, but in other songs it really sounded great, like it had much more authority.  I am hearing some more detail without any additional harshess or sibilance.  I'm also hearing a nice change in soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back